And we're back!

Main Menu

Anyone know much about whiskey?

Started by Josquius, December 20, 2011, 10:05:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darth Wagtaros

PDH!

Capetan Mihali

I usually get Old Granddad.  Or Evan Williams.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on December 22, 2011, 08:26:31 AM
Quote from: Barrister on December 22, 2011, 03:04:40 AM
Quote from: Scipio on December 21, 2011, 08:09:11 PM
Whatever happened to Suntory?

In any case, there are almost no liquors as good as the best single malts.  Some very few cognacs are near them, but cognac is a scam wrapped in a marketing packaged wrapped in a rapper.  Top Irish whiskeys can match top bourbons, but no rye whiskey can match top bourbons.  Some few vodkas are transcendent, but frankly, they are not worth the delta over the midrange.  Vodka is as big a scam as cognac.  The best rums are better than the best ryes, and may equal good bourbon.  If vodka is the crescent wrench of the liquor world, and rum the phillips screwdriver, tequila is the hex wrench.

I don't understand all the hatred I have seen towards rye whiskey.  I guess languish just hates Canadian whiskey. :cry:
Canadian (rye) whisky is totally different than (American) rye whiskey and, unfortunately, probably doesn't even warrant mention in the OvB/Scipio world of analysis.  :console:

But I'm never one to say no to a Canadian Club and ginger ale.  :Canuck:   :hug:  I'm also partial to Seagram's 7 as a shot.  Canadian whisky is as smooth as the driven snow of its true North.   :sleep:
I am also partial to Canadian Club and Seagram's 7 :)
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: jimmy olsen on December 22, 2011, 08:30:53 PMI am also partial to Canadian Club and Seagram's 7 :)

We'll raise our huge tumblers of Canadian whisky high on Sunday in honor of the National Basketball Association and the Boston Celtics.  :cheers:
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Darth Wagtaros

I've decided to drink some whiskey. 
PDH!

Razgovory

Actually, this thread inspired me to buy some Drambuie for my Dad for New Years.  He mentioned that it was favorite.  He used to be a bar tender, and so presumably has a lot of knowledge of drinks.  And fights.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on December 22, 2011, 02:35:35 PM
My wife got a bottle of Jim Beam Red Stag cherry flavored bourbon to make some dessert recipe she had. I tried a nip, and omg it was awful.

Yeah every time I see the commercial for that stuff, it makes me almost cringe.  I've had "black cherry" flavored booze before and it seems to be just universally bad.  At least to me.