And we're back!

Main Menu

HOBBIT trailer!

Started by jimmy olsen, December 21, 2011, 12:00:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Quote from: grumbler on December 22, 2011, 09:17:07 AM
Quote from: Brazen on December 22, 2011, 08:56:11 AM
Looks like a complete rip-off tip-off of those Lord Of The Ring films. It's even got that same wizard geezer in it.
Exactly.  When done, these will be the first two movies of a pentalogy.  The director has stated how careful he has been in filming to modify his style in the second movie to evolve into something resembling Jackson's, so that viewers see the works as part of a whole.

I think grumbler didn't get the joke.  :(

Razgovory

Quote from: grumbler on December 22, 2011, 07:51:51 AM
Quote from: 11B4V on December 21, 2011, 03:17:41 AM
I'm confused this is slated to be out in 2013

The Hobbit: There and Back Again

Is he making a two part??
The IMDB page has a cast listing for Azog and for Thrain, so I am guessing this story includes not just the Hobbit, but the whole story leading up to it (as told by Gandalf at Rivendell, and as expanded in the Appendices).  This ties the story into the LOTR story, so is a smart way to do it, given the popularity of the first movie trilogy.

I think I read that movie is going to have the White Council so I suppose there will be something about the war against the Necromancer in Dol Guldar.  That would explain why we see Galadriel.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Razgovory on December 22, 2011, 10:14:09 AM
Quote from: grumbler on December 22, 2011, 07:51:51 AM
Quote from: 11B4V on December 21, 2011, 03:17:41 AM
I'm confused this is slated to be out in 2013

The Hobbit: There and Back Again

Is he making a two part??
The IMDB page has a cast listing for Azog and for Thrain, so I am guessing this story includes not just the Hobbit, but the whole story leading up to it (as told by Gandalf at Rivendell, and as expanded in the Appendices).  This ties the story into the LOTR story, so is a smart way to do it, given the popularity of the first movie trilogy.

I think I read that movie is going to have the White Council so I suppose there will be something about the war against the Necromancer in Dol Guldar.  That would explain why we see Galadriel.
It had better.  Radaghast the Brown was cut unfairly.
PDH!

grumbler

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

PRC

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on December 22, 2011, 11:17:15 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on December 22, 2011, 10:14:09 AM
It had better.  Radaghast the Brown was cut unfairly.

Seeing Galadriel could also be explained by the story being told by Bilbo to Frodo as they leave for the West at the end of Lord of the Rings.  That looks like how the movie is being setup to me.  It starts at the end of the Lord of the Rings and is told in flashback.

Sophie Scholl

Definitely White Council/Dol Guldar shots in the trailer, at least from what I can see.  There's one with, I presume, Thrain looking all zombie dwarf like and Gandalf and some others with just Gandalf in dark/ruin-y places.  Also, as people mentioned Galadriel is in Rivendell it would seem.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

grumbler

Quote from: PRC on December 22, 2011, 01:57:56 PM
Seeing Galadriel could also be explained by the story being told by Bilbo to Frodo as they leave for the West at the end of Lord of the Rings.  That looks like how the movie is being setup to me.  It starts at the end of the Lord of the Rings and is told in flashback.

Bilbo never met Galadriel, I don't believe, except maybe between the time he arrived in Rivendell after The Party and before Frodo arrived.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

PRC

Quote from: grumbler on December 22, 2011, 04:37:11 PM
Bilbo never met Galadriel, I don't believe, except maybe between the time he arrived in Rivendell after The Party and before Frodo arrived.

In Peter Jackson's film version of the Return of the King they leave on the same ship for the West.  Celeborn, Galadriel, Gandalf, Frodo and Bilbo all leave on that ship.

The Brain

Quote from: PRC on December 22, 2011, 04:56:37 PM
Quote from: grumbler on December 22, 2011, 04:37:11 PM

In Peter Jackson's film version of the Return of the King they leave on the same ship for the West.  Celeborn, Galadriel, Gandalf, Frodo and Bilbo all leave on that ship.

My God that's some dreary shuffleboard team mates.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

grumbler

Quote from: PRC on December 22, 2011, 04:56:37 PM

In Tolkien's version, too, except that Bilbo wasn't telling any stories about it.  I suppose the story could be told as they sail into the west, but that doesn't seem likely.  To "sail into the West" was a euphemism for death.

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: The Brain on December 22, 2011, 05:48:07 PM
My God that's some dreary shuffleboard team mates.

But it would make for some great Bingo!  :P

Bayraktar!

Razgovory

Quote from: PRC on December 22, 2011, 01:57:56 PM

I don't think so.  When Bilbo left for the West he was visibly aged, hair turned white and senile, in the trailer he's depicted as was before he gave the Ring to Frodo.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ender

Indeed. It looks rather like something Bilbo was writing down with the intention to give it to Frodo before he left for Rivendell after his famous birthday party.

Darth Wagtaros

He was writing it all down, wasn't he? There and Back Again, which was begun by Bilbo and finished by Frodo?
PDH!

grumbler

Quote from: Ender on December 27, 2011, 02:09:19 PM
Indeed. It looks rather like something Bilbo was writing down with the intention to give it to Frodo before he left for Rivendell after his famous birthday party.
:lol:

Bayraktar!