News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

HOBBIT trailer!

Started by jimmy olsen, December 21, 2011, 12:00:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maximus

Meh, the D&D dwarves were based on the LOTR dwarves anyway. He used the silly dwarves rather than the fierce LOTR dwarves.

Syt

Yeah, but wasn't the Scottish-talking, hard drinking dwarf popularized mostly by D&D?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Valmy

Quote from: Maximus on December 21, 2011, 04:05:33 PM
Meh, the D&D dwarves were based on the LOTR dwarves anyway. He used the silly dwarves rather than the fierce LOTR dwarves.

Well that was not the way I saw it.  Gimli was plenty fierce.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Solmyr

Quote from: Syt on December 21, 2011, 04:06:51 PM
Yeah, but wasn't the Scottish-talking, hard drinking dwarf popularized mostly by D&D?

I don't remember dwarves with a Scottish accent before WoW.

Jacob

I'm really looking forward to this :)

I hope they do Farmer Giles of Ham next.

Razgovory

Quote from: Solmyr on December 21, 2011, 05:56:15 PM
Quote from: Syt on December 21, 2011, 04:06:51 PM

I don't remember dwarves with a Scottish accent before WoW.

Not as noticeable with the written word.  I don't know when Dwarves became Scottish.  I read Tolkien a long time ago, and tried to avoid the D&D novels.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

The biggest potential problem with the movie is that Jackson doesn't like to cut.  Return of the King and King Kong both could have used a lot of cutting.  For Return of the King they could have cut multiple endings.  That really wasn't necessary.  If they had, perhaps they could have kept in some of the interesting stuff, like the fate of Saruman.  King Kong could have easily had 20 minutes of dead weight cut off and it would have made it a much better movie.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ender

grumbler

Quote from: 11B4V on December 21, 2011, 03:17:41 AM
I'm confused this is slated to be out in 2013

The Hobbit: There and Back Again

Is he making a two part??
The IMDB page has a cast listing for Azog and for Thrain, so I am guessing this story includes not just the Hobbit, but the whole story leading up to it (as told by Gandalf at Rivendell, and as expanded in the Appendices).  This ties the story into the LOTR story, so is a smart way to do it, given the popularity of the first movie trilogy.

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Martinus

Quote from: grumbler on December 22, 2011, 07:51:51 AM
Quote from: 11B4V on December 21, 2011, 03:17:41 AM
I'm confused this is slated to be out in 2013

The Hobbit: There and Back Again

Is he making a two part??
The IMDB page has a cast listing for Azog and for Thrain, so I am guessing this story includes not just the Hobbit, but the whole story leading up to it (as told by Gandalf at Rivendell, and as expanded in the Appendices).  This ties the story into the LOTR story, so is a smart way to do it, given the popularity of the first movie trilogy.

These could be done as flashbacks, the same way they had parts of Hobbit in the Lord of the Rings.

Grallon

"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

Brazen

Looks like a complete rip-off of those Lord Of The Ring films. It's even got that same wizard geezer in it.

grumbler

Quote from: Martinus on December 22, 2011, 07:55:52 AM
These could be done as flashbacks, the same way they had parts of Hobbit in the Lord of the Rings.

It won't be chronological, because the first movie is going to tell the story of the dwarfs versus Smaug (i.e. the actual Hobbit) and the second is going to link that story to LOTR (presumably by telling the story of how The Neuromancer - who will appear in the first movie, at least briefly - fits into all of this, which in turn involves Thrain and the Dwarf and Goblin War).
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Brazen on December 22, 2011, 08:56:11 AM
Looks like a complete rip-off tip-off of those Lord Of The Ring films. It's even got that same wizard geezer in it.
Exactly.  When done, these will be the first two movies of a pentalogy.  The director has stated how careful he has been in filming to modify his style in the second movie to evolve into something resembling Jackson's, so that viewers see the works as part of a whole.

Bayraktar!

Martinus

Quote from: Brazen on December 22, 2011, 08:56:11 AM
Looks like a complete rip-off of those Lord Of The Ring films. It's even got that same wizard geezer in it.

Yeah, it's disgusting how they would milk this cash cow by coming up with dumbed-down inane "prequels" for kids. Wait till we see Jar Jar Baggins.  :rolleyes: