News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Star Wars The Old Republic Roll Call

Started by Berkut, December 20, 2011, 09:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

I fucking hate jumping around Mario-style in order to get datacrons. <_<
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Syt

I'm wrapping up the last of the newbie zone stories (those up to level 10).

My favorite, story wise: Agent. Best writing and dialogue so far.
Next favorites: Trooper, Smuggler, Bounty Hunter.
Ok: Jedi Knight, Sith Warrior, Jedi Consular.
Didn't like: Sith Inquisitor. I like the Sith Assassin advanced class, but damn that dialogue writing is cartoonishly bad. Almost all options make me cringe.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Barrister

Quote from: Syt on December 28, 2012, 04:05:03 PM
I'm wrapping up the last of the newbie zone stories (those up to level 10).

My favorite, story wise: Agent. Best writing and dialogue so far.
Next favorites: Trooper, Smuggler, Bounty Hunter.
Ok: Jedi Knight, Sith Warrior, Jedi Consular.
Didn't like: Sith Inquisitor. I like the Sith Assassin advanced class, but damn that dialogue writing is cartoonishly bad. Almost all options make me cringe.

I made some small level of peace with the Sith Inquisitor by deciding you were just playing a cartoonish super-villain.  I thought at least 1-10 Jedi Knight was pretty cool (lightsaber scene, plus T7!).  1-10 Agent didn't do much for me, though I understand it gets interesting as it goes.

Syt

I actually like the early bits of the agent story so far, esp. that you get sensible ways of non-violent resolutions to class quests by playing mind games.

Unfortunately, it's more or less the same gameplay as the smuggler which I never quite got used to (I also like the smuggler quests, but the gameplay of the class kinda breaks it for me).
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Solmyr

Agent story was my first and by far my favorite. Sith warrior was also pretty good. Jedi knight was okay, standard hero story. Playing through trooper now, finished chapter 2, it's relatively nice.

Btw, if you have old 50s lying around, log them in and get the quest for level 50 epic PvE gear that's been added a while ago, it'll likely be an upgrade unless you've been doing hard modes heavily.

Syt

I have exactly one character at LVL50 - my Sith Juggernautette. I stopped playing her when I got to Ilum as I found the place thoroughly boring. I didn't do many flashpoints - the guild I was in a year ago moved on to other MMOs/returned to WoW, I think, and doing Flashponts/Operations with PUGs is not really my thing.

—Stephen Jay Gould

Solmyr

Well the quest basically involves you going to a vendor on your faction fleet and getting 99 Tionese crystals, which can then be used to purchase an almost full set of Tionese gear, which will likely replace any non-FP gear you have. So no reason not to get it.

Berkut

"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Barrister

Quote from: Berkut on December 29, 2012, 05:56:35 PM
Is the game playable without subbing?

It doesn't sound too bad since they upped you from 2 action bars to 4.

Though really the smart thing to do would be to sub for one month, get "preferred" status (plus a bunch of cartel points from having bought the game initially) then quitting and not re-subbing ever again.

Berkut

Who is on what servers/names these days?

0 rows returned

Berkut

Cool. My Agent is the GL of her guild, apparently. Not sure how that happened. 57 members, although I don't think any of them are actually active. Anyone want to join a guild?

0 rows returned

Syt

I'm on Progenitor (EU RP-PVE). I had a look at the guild situation there yesterday. The only really active guilds seem to be RP-focused guilds (well, duh), and the more casual guilds have all but disappeared. I looked at some guild sites yesterday, and activity is slow, if there's any.

Which is kind of a shame, because I like chatting with people when in the game. Met a random guy yesterday and spent about 3 or 4 hours with him clearing out Tatooine quests which was fun. He's in a guild, but he said it's only him and four or five mates these days (from 20 regulars half a year ago), and two more of them will likely drop out.

It looks better on the remaining English PVE server, but I'm not re-rolling my characters there, or pay for a transfer (does that even exist?).
—Stephen Jay Gould

Solmyr

I'm on EU-The Progenitor too, have characters on both sides.

Syt

Well, I've played a lot over the holidays, but I think I need a break again. Finished chapter 1 for my smuggler. Ok-ish story line, but chapter 2 has me yawning so far, though it's interesting to see Balmorra from the other side (previously only visited as imp). Also: I still hate Alderaan. It looks nice, but I find the quests/story rather annoying, and it seems it has me going back and forth much more than other planets.

My Smuggler/Gunslinger is now working better for me, largely because of the new companion, Risha. Previously, I was saddled with eithee rmelee (Bowdarr) or ranged (Corso) tanks which kept the heat off me but who died rather often, and elites were a challenge. With Risha (ranged DPS) I take more damage, but mobs go down ridiculously quickly.

I also played a bit again with my tank on Ilum. Her survivability with healer companion is rather ridiculous. The only time I was slightly stumped was when I was faced with two high level jedi who kept healing each other.
—Stephen Jay Gould

sbr

Quote from: Syt on January 01, 2013, 01:44:34 PM
Finished chapter 1 for my smuggler.  OK-ish story line, but chapter 2 has me yawning so far, though it's interesting to see Balmorra from the other side (previously only visited as imp).

What is an Imperial smuggler doing in Morrowind?