News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

GOP Primary Megathread!

Started by jimmy olsen, December 19, 2011, 07:06:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

I like the Song of the South as much as the next guy, but I know when not to use tar baby references in public.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

KRonn

John Kerry even used the tar baby phrase! OMG! He must be a racist too!   ;)

CountDeMoney

Quote from: KRonn on April 19, 2012, 06:08:34 PM

Kerry didn't use it when referring to a nigger.  Bit of a difference.

derspiess

Quote from: Razgovory on April 19, 2012, 05:56:32 PM

I think it's fair to say they don't like Muslims.  But if you want to think that over half the GOP are "confused ignoramuses", that's fine.  I feel the same way.  I suppose a fair question is why so many GOP opinion makers and politicians actively cultivate this confused state?

That's a cheap shot and misrepresentation of the truth on your part.  It's also a reminder of why it's pointless to try & have a serious discussion with you.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

KRonn

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 19, 2012, 06:09:59 PM

Not really. The phrase tar baby in the way Bachman and Kerry used it refers to something that is negative but which  sticks to you and you can't get rid of it.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: KRonn on April 19, 2012, 07:23:35 PM

Not really. The phrase tar baby in the way Bachman and Kerry used it refers to something that is negative but which  sticks to you and you can't get rid of it.

Yeah, OK Professor Sytax, but you lose a bit on the nuance side: when referring to a black man, it just doesn't sound good.

Neil

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 19, 2012, 07:46:07 PM
Yeah, OK Professor Sytax, but you lose a bit on the nuance side: when referring to a black man, it just doesn't sound good.
At least not in the US, where everybody is fucking stupid thanks to decades of idiocy from assholes who want to bring back slavery and then more idiocy from 'civil rights warriors' who are more interested in milking the disaffection of the blacks for votes than doing anything to help anybody.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Neil on April 19, 2012, 08:17:26 PM
At least not in the US, where everybody is fucking stupid thanks to decades of idiocy from assholes who want to bring back slavery and then more idiocy from 'civil rights warriors' who are more interested in milking the disaffection of the blacks for votes than doing anything to help anybody.

I'd mention something similar about Indians for you to relate to, but you killed them all.

Barrister

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 19, 2012, 08:24:39 PM
Quote from: Neil on April 19, 2012, 08:17:26 PM

I'd mention something similar about Indians for you to relate to, but you killed them all.

But then who do I keep prosecuting every day?  They sure look like indians... :unsure:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

DGuller

Berkut

Right, which is exactly the point - it is "racism" because YOU SAY SO, not because the person saying it is being racist.

And you keep repeating it over and over and over again, no matter what the criticism is, because you want there to be racism, because it is such a very effective ad hom.

But it is also cheap and juvenile.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Berkut on April 19, 2012, 10:09:58 PM
Right, which is exactly the point - it is "racism" because YOU SAY SO, not because the person saying it is being racist.

And you keep repeating it over and over and over again, no matter what the criticism is, because you want there to be racism, because it is such a very effective ad hom.

That's OK, big guy, you've proved your not racist because you ignore it. :hug:

garbon

Quote from: Berkut on April 19, 2012, 10:09:58 PM

I don't know. I agree that Seedy is over the top on this, but...if one uses a term that ones knows people will perceive as having racial connotations and then use it anyway, it is curious. Of course, if one is a political official with a campaign staff and doesn't recognize how it might be perceived, well that say something else. :lol:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Thurston Romney III wins 5 out of 5 tonight.

Gingrich is still fighting, and apparently Santorum is persona non grata to Mittenton's campaign, they don't give a shit if he ever endorses him.

Oh, and the President did a pre-taped appearance on Late Night with Jimmy Fallon;  I just caught a glimpse of it--you're not going to want to miss this one.

Razgovory

Quote from: derspiess on April 19, 2012, 07:05:02 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on April 19, 2012, 05:56:32 PM

I think it's fair to say they don't like Muslims.  But if you want to think that over half the GOP are "confused ignoramuses", that's fine.  I feel the same way.  I suppose a fair question is why so many GOP opinion makers and politicians actively cultivate this confused state?

That's a cheap shot and misrepresentation of the truth on your part.  It's also a reminder of why it's pointless to try & have a serious discussion with you.

Is there a better shot you would like?  "Confused ignoramuses" was your phrase for over half of likely GOP voters who thought Mr. Obama is a Muslim.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017