And we're back!

Main Menu

GOP Primary Megathread!

Started by jimmy olsen, December 19, 2011, 07:06:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Quote from: Viking on April 05, 2012, 10:56:58 AM
Impression.

We'll see.  But don't underestimate the disdain a lot of them have for the guy he'll be facing in the general election.  Sometimes that can make up for a lack of enthusiasm for your 'own' guy.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Viking

Quote from: derspiess on April 05, 2012, 11:31:38 AM
Quote from: Viking on April 05, 2012, 10:56:58 AM
Impression.

We'll see.  But don't underestimate the disdain a lot of them have for the guy he'll be facing in the general election.  Sometimes that can make up for a lack of enthusiasm for your 'own' guy.

I sort of think the entire "Anybody but Romney" bit in the primaries has pretty much made that case for me.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Jacob

Quote from: Viking on April 05, 2012, 11:35:29 AMI sort of think the entire "Anybody but Romney" bit in the primaries has pretty much made that case for me.

That'll morph into anybody but Obama soon enough.

Viking

Quote from: Jacob on April 05, 2012, 11:42:26 AM
Quote from: Viking on April 05, 2012, 11:35:29 AMI sort of think the entire "Anybody but Romney" bit in the primaries has pretty much made that case for me.

That'll morph into anybody but Obama soon enough.

Well, from the mouths of bigots

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CtTP1s8BYk&feature=channel
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZI2K8roLG8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfFfK3J123A&feature=relmfu

and it goes on and on...

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Caliga

Quote from: Viking on April 05, 2012, 10:52:50 AM
Quote from: Kleves on April 05, 2012, 10:48:49 AM
Quote from: Viking on April 04, 2012, 08:19:21 AM
He needs somebody that will make the pastors in the many evangelical mega churches want to encourage their flock to vote.
Isn't that "somebody" Obama? Seems to me like he's going to need someone with some foreign policy cred.

The impression that I'm getting is that conservative christians would rather not vote than vote for a heathen like Romney.
I respectfully disagree.  As soon as Romney trots out the I want to protect unborn babies bullshit, they're in the bag for him
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Viking

Quote from: Caliga on April 05, 2012, 12:20:47 PM
The impression that I'm getting is that conservative christians would rather not vote than vote for a heathen like Romney.
I respectfully disagree.  As soon as Romney trots out the I want to protect unborn babies bullshit, they're in the bag for him
[/quote]

Well, we'll see on election day when exit polls look at evangelical turnout.

As the tea party evangelical chick says in BBC's This World documentary "The Mormon Candidate" said, "if it is between Obama and Romen I wouldn't vote". I don't think the evangelicals will vote Obama, they'll just decline to vote.

derspiess

I'm sure a documentary titled "The Mormon Candidate" would play up that angle.  Who is the "tea party evangelical" chick?  And you know that "tea party" and "evangelical" aren't necessarily tied together, right?
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

sbr

Quote from: derspiess on April 04, 2012, 12:01:35 PM
Quote from: Valmy on April 04, 2012, 08:29:54 AM
Well in my book he is not Conservative at all, at least not in the good ways.  The guy has never found a spending bill he didn't like and the only ways he is right wing is in the way he wants laws passed to regulate people's behavior.  So basically the guy is big brother personified. 

Pretty much agree.  He's socially conservative for sure, but that's not the kind of conservative we need right now.

Somewhat serious question: Is there any othet kind around now?

Eddie Teach

Quote from: sbr on April 05, 2012, 01:58:31 PM

Teabaggers.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

sbr

Valmy

Quote from: Caliga on April 05, 2012, 06:46:42 AM
Santorum isn't going to withdraw from the race.  I don't think Gingrich and Paul will either.  They're in it to the bitter, crazy end.

Well Paul is not in the race to win but to draw attention to his political message.  Not sure what the other two are doing.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

derspiess

Yeah.

grumbler

Quote from: derspiess on April 05, 2012, 10:54:02 AM
Quote from: grumbler on April 05, 2012, 10:50:53 AM
The funny part about it is that the very same people who sue to prove the gubmint can 'regulate inactivity" and force someone to buy insurance whether they want it or not argue that the gubmint can, indeed, "regulate inactivity" and force other people to get an ultrasound whether they want it or not.

Not all of them.

I was speaking about Virginia (and specifically our insufferable Attorney General), but didn't make that clear.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Guy by the name of Ron Paul.  Mitch Daniels.  Others.  Not many ran this year.  They don't excite the zealots and don't get the zealot money.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

derspiess

I wish Mitch had thrown his hat in.  But his wife apparently didn't want him to, plus I guess he lacks a proper presidential head of hair :(

Oh, and Paul is not without his zealots (and their money), unless you're talking about religious zealots.