And we're back!

Main Menu

GOP Primary Megathread!

Started by jimmy olsen, December 19, 2011, 07:06:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: Barrister on March 16, 2012, 11:46:53 AM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on March 16, 2012, 10:27:47 AM
A bill of exchange is just a written instrument that instructs a bank to pay the bearer.  These days, we call it a "check" - which is form of BoE that allows the authorized bearer to get the funds on demand.

Reading between the lines of what Cal wrote, the term "bill of exchange" is a popular one amongst the various free man/sovereign citizen/de-tax wingnuts.

You are correct.  What Ide was describing was a run in with one of those people.  http://www.splcenter.org/get-informed/intelligence-files/ideology/sovereign-citizens-movement

SPLC has a list of terms used by them http://www.splcenter.org/get-informed/intelligence-report/browse-all-issues/2010/fall/sovereign-idioticon-a-dictionary-of-the

QuoteBill of Exchange
A fake check used to access the funds in the secret Treasury account supposedly set up by the government to monetize the value of each citizen's life at birth.

These folks are dangerous, they occasionally shoot at law enforcement.  My advice to Ide, is to avoid this person.

What I want to know, is why you come across them in Canada?  I would have thought that since they are based around a poor understanding of the American Constitution they would be an American phenomenon.  As far as I know the US constitutions doesn't matter a great deal in Canadian law.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

katmai

Quote from: Phillip V on March 16, 2012, 11:59:24 AM
Quote from: garbon on March 16, 2012, 10:05:22 AM
I like Santorum's comments on Puerto Rico...not. :D
Romney is half-Latino. Hopefully, Puerto Rico is a big win for him this Sunday.

:huh:
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Sheilbh

Quote from: katmai on March 16, 2012, 04:01:19 PM

Some of his ancestors moved to Mexico so they could continue to be polygamists.  I think George Romney was born in Chihuahua.  So far however the Romney campaign haven't made a great deal of this 'Latino' connection :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

katmai

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 16, 2012, 04:05:48 PM

Some of his ancestors moved to Mexico so they could continue to be polygamists.  I think George Romney was born in Chihuahua.  So far however the Romney campaign haven't made a great deal of this 'Latino' connection :lol:

I know all that, but a gringo born in Mexico who left for States at 5 years old  does not make Mitt Romney a "Latino"

Ideologue

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on March 16, 2012, 11:54:49 AM
Quote from: Barrister on March 16, 2012, 11:46:53 AM
Reading between the lines of what Cal wrote, the term "bill of exchange" is a popular one amongst the various free man/sovereign citizen/de-tax wingnuts.

Bills of exchange were a dominant tool of finance in the 19th century.  Much of banking activity, including central banking activity, revolved around discounting private Bills, and they were used by all sorts of business concerns to finance operations and trading activities.  Nowadays much the same function is performed by the bond and CP markets.

I have no clue why the tax protest or freemen cultists would be interested in the concept other than its association with a time period in which the gold standard was the norm.

EDIT- one did occur to me.  Bills have to be "accepted" (acknowledged) by the drawee - so if some sort of debt or contractual obligation is analogized to a BoE, the purported drawee in that instance could refuse to "accept" and thus not pay.

Yeah, I made a mistake in relaying what he said.  He was talking about a bill of exchange (a check) that they would not accept in payment of a debt (which means money isn't real!).  He didn't actually refer to the contract as a BoE.

My understanding is this guy actually does have some significant assets--he works as a cook because he likes to work, and likes food, but I believe he's paying his kid's culinary education out of pocket--but is not what you'd call a sophisticated party (not dumb, if prone to some serious irrationalities based on ideological wish-fulfillment).  He claims the law firm contacting him regarding the debt never served him a complaint and summons and will not reveal the name of their client (if he's being sued by someone, I have no idea how this could happen, so my guess is he's not actually being sued even though he did speak of a motion to dismiss...

Edited out.  See below.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

NOW I remember.  He knows the name of the plaintiff.  He wants the court to compel the plaintiff to reveal the name of their Freemason backers.

You can see why I forgot.  It sort of short-circuits the mind.  I didn't want to remember.

Anyway, I'm sure that'll go fine.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Razgovory

Quote from: Ideologue on March 16, 2012, 05:05:16 PM
NOW I remember.  He knows the name of the plaintiff.  He wants the court to compel the plaintiff to reveal the name of their Freemason backers.

You can see why I forgot.  It sort of short-circuits the mind.  I didn't want to remember.

Anyway, I'm sure that'll go fine.

Read up on my link from the SPLC.  That's your guys beliefs.  He's insane.  May vote for Ron Paul, but just as likely isn't registered to vote.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Phillip V

Quote from: katmai on March 16, 2012, 04:08:07 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on March 16, 2012, 04:05:48 PM

I know all that, but a gringo born in Mexico who left for States at 5 years old  does not make Mitt Romney a "Latino"

Depends on messaging and money spent on marketing. For example, Obama made effective use of his white connection and how his "grandfather marched in Patton's army".

Once Romney gets the nomination, we will see the emergence of "Mexican Romney".

katmai

Jesus PV, not at all comparable.

Obama you know actually has "white" lineage.
Romney has a dad born in Chiuahahua to two parents from Utah and was back in USA before he turned six.

Sure he has bunch of cousins living over there in Mormon insulated enclaves, but Mitt sure as shit knows he has nothing to stand on in regards to claiming to be Mexican.

Tonitrus

Quote from: katmai on March 16, 2012, 10:35:50 PM

Romney has a dad born in Chiuahahua to two parents from Utah and was back in USA before he turned six.

Sure he has bunch of cousins living over there in Mormon insulated enclaves, but Mitt sure as shit knows he has nothing to stand on in regards to claiming to be Mexican.

So if Hitler had escaped to Argentina, his children cannot claim to be latino?  :(

Eddie Teach

As Latino's not a race, I don't see why not.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Phillip V

Most Latinos consider themselves white.

garbon

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on March 16, 2012, 11:17:58 PM
As Latino's not a race, I don't see why not.

So if Latino was one of those mutable concepts we call races, then they wouldn't be able to?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: Phillip V on March 16, 2012, 11:33:11 PM

Most Latinos consider themselves white.

What exactly would you say your definition of Latino is?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: garbon on March 16, 2012, 11:41:58 PM
So if Latino was one of those mutable concepts we call races, then they wouldn't be able to?

If Hitler and Eva Braun had a child in Africa, it would not be black. If they had one in China, it would not be yellow. If they had one in Argentina, it could potentially be Latino.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?