News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

GOP Primary Megathread!

Started by jimmy olsen, December 19, 2011, 07:06:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Quote from: Razgovory on March 14, 2012, 11:02:31 AM
Recognition entails that some one has the right to be or do something.  Respect is your personal opinion of the person.

I wouldn't say that.  You can have a low opinion of someone yet respect them due to their position.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

garbon

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 14, 2012, 10:51:09 AM
I haven't followed the wider argument at all, so I've no idea what this is to do with.  I'm just jumping in at the illegitimacy v respect point.

Well yeah that's my issue as we aren't talking about any nation but the US.  I hope we're not an unstable democracy. :(
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: derspiess on March 14, 2012, 11:11:10 AM
Recognition entails that some one has the right to be or do something.  Respect is your personal opinion of the person.

I wouldn't say that.  You can have a low opinion of someone yet respect them due to their position.

I would say I have a low opinion of Obama but respect him as after all he is the president.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Razgovory

The respect in that case is recognition of their position.  The words do kinda get used interchangeably,  (and I'm not sure if I'm using them right).  You may have a low opinion of say, a judge but it would be wise to recognize the power he has over you if you are in court.  I suppose that could also be worded as "Respecting his position".  Or simply respecting the position.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

garbon

Quote from: Razgovory on March 14, 2012, 11:41:37 AM

The respect in that case is recognition of their position.  The words do kinda get used interchangeably,  (and I'm not sure if I'm using them right).  You may have a low opinion of say, a judge but it would be wise to recognize the power he has over you if you are in court.  I suppose that could also be worded as "Respecting his position".  Or simply respecting the position.

I don't think that's true.  That has little to do with whether you think a person legitimately has a position.  I could see someone who respected Bush's position but thought he only got it through electoral shenanigans - and thus didn't legitimately hold it.

In fact, you could recognize that Bush or Obama had/has power but not recognize them as legitimate.

Sheilbh

Quote from: garbon on March 14, 2012, 11:29:56 AM
Well yeah that's my issue as we aren't talking about any nation but the US.  I hope we're not an unstable democracy. :(
Fine, but as I said I think that develops over time.  Legitimacy takes a long time to build up, but if people start disbelieving it then I think it's very difficult to recover.

The birthers or whatever are a small section, so it's not a big worry.  But the consequences of what they're saying is dangerous and they shouldn't be enabled by someone like Trump, buffoon or not.  But they are a very small group of people.

QuoteI don't think that's true.  That has little to do with whether you think a person legitimately has a position.  I could see someone who respected Bush's position but thought he only got it through electoral shenanigans - and thus didn't legitimately hold it.
This would be my worry.  That minorities in both parties have questioned the legitimacy of the last three elections.  That's an unfortunate trend in my view.
Let's bomb Russia!

Razgovory

Quote from: garbon on March 14, 2012, 11:51:23 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on March 14, 2012, 11:41:37 AM

I don't think that's true.  That has little to do with whether you think a person legitimately has a position.  I could see someone who respected Bush's position but thought he only got it through electoral shenanigans - and thus didn't legitimately hold it.

In fact, you could recognize that Bush or Obama had/has power but not recognize them as legitimate.

I don't think you can.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

garbon

Quote from: Razgovory on March 14, 2012, 12:14:28 PM
I don't think you can.

Why not? Bush clearly had the power to do things that ordinary people can't do and yet was seen by some as not the truly elected representative.  (Florida voting machines? MoveOn?)

CountDeMoney

Today's Mittism is:

"Planned Parenthood — we're going to get rid of that."

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 14, 2012, 07:17:40 PM
Today's Mittism is:

Only unplanned parenthood is appropriate.  :P
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

CountDeMoney

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on March 14, 2012, 07:18:56 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 14, 2012, 07:17:40 PM
Today's Mittism is:

Only unplanned parenthood is appropriate.  :P

They just don't get it this year, do they?  I love it.  Keep this up, and Obama wins by 15%.

Razgovory

Quote from: garbon on March 14, 2012, 12:24:26 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on March 14, 2012, 12:14:28 PM
I don't think you can.

Why not? Bush clearly had the power to do things that ordinary people can't do and yet was seen by some as not the truly elected representative.  (Florida voting machines? MoveOn?)

Cause I said so, that's why.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on March 14, 2012, 12:24:26 PM
(Florida voting machines? MoveOn?)

Supreme Court trumps those.

sbr

I thought Republicans were for limited federal government and states rights.  Do they really want a federal executive with enough power to "get rid" of planned parenthood?

CountDeMoney

Quote from: sbr on March 14, 2012, 07:28:16 PM
I thought Republicans were for limited federal government and states rights.  Do they really want a federal executive with enough power to "get rid" of planned parenthood?

They want to get rid of Energy, Education and....um...there's another, hold on....