GOP Primary Megathread!

Started by jimmy olsen, December 19, 2011, 07:06:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: Razgovory on March 13, 2012, 10:11:24 PM
Quote from: derspiess on March 13, 2012, 08:47:09 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on March 13, 2012, 04:40:01 PM
Quote from: derspiess on March 13, 2012, 04:30:31 PM
Like I said, if he had only called himself Barry Dunham, he would've avoided all this "Muslim" nonsense.

Also if he had avoiding being black. 

Really?  You think the the muslim thing is because he's black?  I guess Colin Powell & Herman Cain dodged a bullet, then.

Yes, yes I do.  I don't think Colin Powell is running for President.  Neither is Herman Cain for that matter.  "Muslim" is a more acceptable prejudice then "black".  Calling Obama a Muslim is way to call attention to his otherness.  He's not one of us.  He's different.  Alien.  The difference is of course, that he's black, not that's he's Muslim (which he isn't).  Same thing with the Kenyan thingy.  It's a way to point out that's he's not like us.  If Barry had a different name, they would use use some other way to draw attention to Obama's "otherness".

But isn't he really an other even if you just stick to his lifestyle? How many Americans can claim the cosmopolitan adulthood that Obama has had?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Razgovory

Quote from: Jacob on March 13, 2012, 10:17:04 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 13, 2012, 10:13:56 PMOn whom are the 60% of Alabamans that think he's Muslim trying to use this strategy?

I think Raz's point is that they are the ones on whom the strategy has been used.

Yes, the public doesn't not generally come ups with strategies to demagogue politicians and special interest groups.  It kind of flows the other way.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

Quote from: garbon on March 13, 2012, 10:20:19 PM

But isn't he really an other even if you just stick to his lifestyle? How many Americans can claim the cosmopolitan adulthood that Obama has had?

Are you arguing that he really is alien and non-American?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Queequeg

Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 13, 2012, 10:20:06 PM
I believe that poll was just for Republicans in Alabama and Mississippi, not the statewide population.
What percentage of white Americans in Alabama and Mississippi self-identify as Republican?
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

garbon

Quote from: Razgovory on March 13, 2012, 10:23:12 PM

Not in the least. However, I'm suggesting that being cosmopolitan can easily be posited as not one of us.  I'm not talking about myself as I've done everything to hide out in cities (:P) but rather easy rhetoric.  So I agree with the notion that changing his name wouldn't have helped but I don't think it is solely on a black basis, as even if that were waved and he was whitey mcwhiteson, there are other ways.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Queequeg

Garbon is right.  Clearly, the Republicans would be far more open to Barack Obama if, like Sarah Palin, his daughter was knocked up out of wedlock by a rough, burly, muscular High School graduate. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

PDH

For whatever reason the muslim does seem to be an easy label to make stick.  It is not all the black issue, it is part of the non-compromise and make the opponent an outsider type politics that is part of the narrative now.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Razgovory

Quote from: garbon on March 13, 2012, 10:29:15 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on March 13, 2012, 10:23:12 PM

Not in the least. However, I'm suggesting that being cosmopolitan can easily be posited as not one of us.  I'm not talking about myself as I've done everything to hide out in cities (:P) but rather easy rhetoric.  So I agree with the notion that changing his name wouldn't have helped but I don't think it is solely on a black basis, as even if that were waved and he was whitey mcwhiteson, there are other ways.

Everyone has a unique upbringing.  For instance George W. Bush was raised by millionaires.  That is fairly different then most Americans.  Yet George W. Bush was not see as "other".  On the other hand, Romney is having trouble.  He also came from a wealthy political family, however he is a Mormon, and that carries the stigma of the "other".  Some "others" are more "other" then "other" "others", though. :D

Razgovory

Quote from: PDH on March 13, 2012, 10:36:22 PM
For whatever reason the muslim does seem to be an easy label to make stick.  It is not all the black issue, it is part of the non-compromise and make the opponent an outsider type politics that is part of the narrative now.

You don't compromise with people who are planning to kill you with death panels.  The Republicans are acting perfectly rationally.  If what they believed was actually true.  If you thought someone was out to kill you, you wouldn't meet them half-way would you?

garbon

Quote from: Queequeg on March 13, 2012, 10:33:33 PM
Garbon is right.  Clearly, the Republicans would be far more open to Barack Obama if, like Sarah Palin, his daughter was knocked up out of wedlock by a rough, burly, muscular High School graduate. 

It is juvenile to paint your political opponents as the ultimates in idiocy and hatred.

Razgovory

Quote from: garbon on March 13, 2012, 10:44:40 PM

It is juvenile to paint your political opponents as the ultimates in idiocy and hatred.

Well then tell the GOP to stop.  You are a registered member now, aren't you?

sbr

What if it is true?

Tonitrus

Quote from: sbr on March 13, 2012, 10:46:58 PM

What if it is true?

Hey now, this is a political discussion.

garbon

What if it is true?

With our political crop? Just models of incompetency across the board, not ultimate evils.

Razgovory

Quote from: garbon on March 13, 2012, 10:52:17 PM

What if it is true?

With our political crop? Just models of incompetency across the board, not ultimate evils.

Who are you talking about?  I don't think Romney is incompetent.  Or Obama for that matter.