And we're back!

Main Menu

GOP Primary Megathread!

Started by jimmy olsen, December 19, 2011, 07:06:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Quote from: Martinus on March 07, 2012, 01:12:29 PM
Catholic doctrine is quite conservative,

On most social issues, yes.  In everything else, not so much.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Kleves

I found this to be pretty interesting: http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2012/03/07/us/politics/exit-polls-boxes.html?hp

Santorum has only won Catholics in one state, and only won the college educated vote in one state (in both cases, the state was Tennessee). Santorum has never won the vote of those whose most important issue is beating Obama.
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

garbon

Quote from: Kleves on March 07, 2012, 01:42:20 PM
I found this to be pretty interesting: http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2012/03/07/us/politics/exit-polls-boxes.html?hp

Santorum has only won Catholics in one state, and only won the college educated vote in one state (in both cases, the state was Tennessee). Santorum has never won the vote of those whose most important issue is beating Obama.

Why is Santorum locking up the youth vote?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Martinus

Quote from: derspiess on March 07, 2012, 01:24:29 PM

What other issues do you mean? Theological or stuff like e.g. economy and international politics?

Barrister

Quote from: Martinus on March 07, 2012, 01:49:22 PM

What other issues do you mean? Theological or stuff like e.g. economy and international politics?

Issues like poverty, homelessness, yes international politics, the Catholic church is pretty solidly liberal.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

derspiess

Quote from: Martinus on March 07, 2012, 01:49:22 PM

What other issues do you mean? Theological

No

Quoteor stuff like e.g. economy and international politics?

Yep.  And keep in mind I'm talking about the US, not Poland.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

The Larch

Is this picture real or shopped?

DGuller

Quote from: garbon on March 07, 2012, 01:48:58 PM

Young people are more open-minded about things like close-mindedness.

MadImmortalMan

They shopped it to flip the M and O kids around.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

KRonn

Quote from: garbon on March 07, 2012, 01:48:58 PM

Probably for similar reasons that Ron Paul is fairly popular with "utes". They talk of less intrusive government and of less involvement in world policing, at least Paul talks of that stuff pretty heavily.

CountDeMoney

Today, Mitt Romney managed to insult The South by saying he finally learned how to say "y'all", and mentioned that for breakfast he had "cheesy grits".

Cheesy grits.  Y'all.

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 09, 2012, 02:28:04 PM
Today, Mitt Romney managed to insult The South by saying he finally learned how to say "y'all", and mentioned that for breakfast he had "cheesy grits".

Cheesy grits.  Y'all.

Was he wearing a confederate flag bandana inside-out as well?

Phillip V

Romney needs to make a deal with Alabama and Mississippi who vote this Tuesday, acknowledging that they don't love him, but that it is time to fall in line.

He should be heartened by a poll that shows a tie in Alabama: http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2012/president/al/alabama_republican_presidential_primary-1775.html

and an 8-point Romney lead in Mississippi: http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2012/president/ms/mississippi_republican_presidential_primary-2163.html

Then again, polls last week had shown Romney momentum in Tennessee, only to be false.

I am inclined to suspect that the two states will instead decide to swing behind Gingrich because he is almost forgotten, and the Republican electorate likes to keep things spicy.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Phillip V on March 09, 2012, 02:39:22 PM
He should be heartened by a poll that shows a tie in Alabama: http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2012/president/al/alabama_republican_presidential_primary-1775.html
Alabama's been a tie for a while.  About a week or two ago they prompted the headline 'Santorum comes from behind in Alabama three-way'.

QuoteI am inclined to suspect that the two states will instead decide to swing behind Gingrich because he is almost forgotten, and the Republican electorate likes to keep things spicy.
I think Gingrich's campaign has said if he loses Alabama and Mississippi then he's dropping out.
Let's bomb Russia!