Started by jimmy olsen, December 19, 2011, 07:06:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 07, 2012, 08:54:32 AM
Quote from: Ed Anger on March 07, 2012, 08:53:45 AM
Quote from: derspiess on March 06, 2012, 11:57:08 PM
Kucinich lost his primary :lol:

:lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao:

Like he had a chance against Kaptur. That bitch can campaign.

How do you think Joe The Plumber will do against her?

She is going to give him an atomic wedgie.

15 term congresscritter with a record of bringing pork back to her district? Against a semi-literate Palinite retard? Easy win.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Razgovory

Quote from: derspiess on March 06, 2012, 11:16:02 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on March 06, 2012, 09:45:50 PM
CNN is showing that Romney leads with Catholics.  I find that hilarious.  I guess I'm not the only one who looks at Santorum and say "What the fuck? That's not what I believe!  What the Hell is going on about"

Not in Ohio.  In fact, it's sounding like Catholic *Democrats* helped push Santorum past Romney.

Catholics actually have been going for Romney over Santorum.  It's kinda funny actually.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

derspiess

Jean Schmidt: gone.  That'll teach you to kiss the enemy.  Democrats never win my district, so the House GOP just moved a slight bit to the right.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

MadImmortalMan

I'm curious how much spoiler voting is happening in this process and who is getting the benefit. Lots more primaries are open than I remember.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

crazy canuck

Quote from: Razgovory on March 07, 2012, 09:08:56 AM
Quote from: derspiess on March 06, 2012, 11:16:02 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on March 06, 2012, 09:45:50 PM
CNN is showing that Romney leads with Catholics.  I find that hilarious.  I guess I'm not the only one who looks at Santorum and say "What the fuck? That's not what I believe!  What the Hell is going on about"

Not in Ohio.  In fact, it's sounding like Catholic *Democrats* helped push Santorum past Romney.

Catholics actually have been going for Romney over Santorum.  It's kinda funny actually.

Why do you think that is Raz?

Phillip V

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on March 07, 2012, 12:25:58 PM
I'm curious how much spoiler voting is happening in this process and who is getting the benefit. Lots more primaries are open than I remember.

I have not yet seen any reporting on how many Democrats voted in Super Tuesday's open primaries, such as Ohio and Virginia.

Last week, 10% of voters in the Michigan Republican primary were Democrats; half of them voted for Santorum.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Razgovory

Oh I misread CC post.  I thought he asked why I thought that, not why that is.  I think it's mostly because Catholic really aren't into a lot of the stuff Santorum was going on about.  They (like me), look at him and say "That's not what I believe.  That dude is nuts".  American Catholics have always been somewhat weary of papal edicts and Bishops rulings.  So American bishops angry at Obama doesn't really matter much.  I've heard it said that American Catholics have a fairly protestant outlook, perhaps that is true.  I suspect that not always taking what the Pope or some bishop says seriously is older then the US.

Viking

I suspect traditional catholics are doing what they have always done, voted their pocketbook. Santorum is leveraging his fundamentalism in the same way that protestant fundamentalists have done.

For a person of faith who's Catholicism is so important to him I'm surprised he hasn't mentioned the pope or stood next to a bishop yet. He's behaving as if his Catholicism is just another kind of american protestantism only this version has especially good pro-life credentials. Basically the same reason that american protestants are happy to have catholics on the supreme court.

Catholics are ipso facto not born again and catholic doctrine is per definition not fundamentalist so I don't think Santorum's "protestant" style born again fundamentalism appeals to any catholic who actually understands his own church's doctrine. 
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Razgovory on March 07, 2012, 12:37:49 PM
Oh I misread CC post.  I thought he asked why I thought that, not why that is.  I think it's mostly because Catholic really aren't into a lot of the stuff Santorum was going on about.  They (like me), look at him and say "That's not what I believe.  That dude is nuts".  American Catholics have always been somewhat weary of papal edicts and Bishops rulings.  So American bishops angry at Obama doesn't really matter much.  I've heard it said that American Catholics have a fairly protestant outlook, perhaps that is true.  I suspect that not always taking what the Pope or some bishop says seriously is older then the US.

Interesting.  To my ears he sounds more like a born again Prostestant and it surprised me a bit to learn he wasnt and I thought that might be the reason he was a bit off putting to American Catholics.  But from what you are saying it seems the reverse - that he is in fact too Catholic.

Razgovory

I don't really know how Catholics in other countries operate.  American Catholics are often like mainline Protestants rather then Evangelical born-again.  Of course, I live in central Missouri so it may be different in other places.  Viking is correct that Catholism is not really a fundamentalist faith.

For Instance talk of Hell is not really big.   It's very rare to have a "Fire and Brimstone" sermon.  It's also not anti-science.  Hell, a whole field of science was dominated by Jesuits for a long time.  Seismology.

American Catholics are still Americans and they don't fully trust foreigners.  And that includes the Pope.

MadImmortalMan

There has to be a significant "he's making us look bad" factor for Santorum among normal sane religious people.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Martinus

I think the problem with Santorum is that while his ideology is in fact very catholic, his rhetorics is that of a firebrand preacher of a Jeremiah tradition protestantism.

Catholic doctrine is quite conservative, but it is mitigated (and I think that's where the "catholics are more liberal than protestants" opinion comes from) by the fact that the rhetoric is not that much about fire and brimstone (this, I think, comes from both the fact that there is a strong tradition of intellectualism in the catholic church and also that from the doctrinal point of view, confession and absolution is an important part of "catholic lifestyle").

Also, catholic church has always tried to take a more universalist approach, which means it was more tolerant of people deviating from its teaching on an individual basis, as long as they eventually confessed and regretted their sins (again, this is something that starts to change under Benedict XVI, who I think has a much more "quality over quantity" approach to the catholicism than John Paul II had).

So in short, Santorum is like the worst of both worlds. :P

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Martinus on March 07, 2012, 01:12:29 PM
So in short, Santorum is like the worst of both worlds. :P

I give him better than 3 to 1 odds he's had at least one dick in his mouth sometime in his life.

derspiess

Quote from: Razgovory on March 07, 2012, 12:32:50 PM
That was part of the exit polling that was on CNN last night.

http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2012/03/07/loudly-catholic-santorum-loses-ohio-catholics/

The MSNBC dude pretty much said the opposite, and added that Democrat Catholics voting in the Ohio GOP primary heavily favored Santorum.

But I'd take CNN's word over MSNBC's, so you win.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall