News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

GOP Primary Megathread!

Started by jimmy olsen, December 19, 2011, 07:06:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

79% in and Santorum has a 7,000 vote lead.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Sheilbh

Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 06, 2012, 10:38:45 PM
If that holds it's a bit of an upset.  Romney was at 61% on Intrade this morning and the momentum seemed to be going his way.  I thought tonight was going to be his coronation :mellow:
Let's bomb Russia!

derspiess

So my lazy-ass brother, who is usually the most politically opinionated of the family, neglected to vote.  On the plus side, I have a feeling he was leaning Santorum.  The 4 of us who voted went for Romney.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

DGuller

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 06, 2012, 10:45:00 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 06, 2012, 10:38:45 PM
If that holds it's a bit of an upset.  Romney was at 61% on Intrade this morning and the momentum seemed to be going his way.  I thought tonight was going to be his coronation :mellow:
Damn, that's a shame.  :)

jimmy olsen

Margin's down to 2800 votes with 85% in and most of the rural counties 100% counted so I think Romney will pull it out at the end.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

DGuller

Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 06, 2012, 10:49:18 PM
Margin's down to 2800 votes with 85% in and most of the rural counties 100% counted so I think Romney will pull it out at the end.
Good news.  :(

derspiess

Quote from: Razgovory on March 06, 2012, 09:45:50 PM
CNN is showing that Romney leads with Catholics.  I find that hilarious.  I guess I'm not the only one who looks at Santorum and say "What the fuck? That's not what I believe!  What the Hell is going on about"

Not in Ohio.  In fact, it's sounding like Catholic *Democrats* helped push Santorum past Romney.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Sheilbh

Romney's back in the lead but it's not that simple.  Nate Silver:
Quote11:05 P.M. Cuyahoga, Medina and Clermont
Mitt Romney has closed his deficit with Rick Santorum to about 2,500 votes. Can he get over the top?

He probably would if the only votes left were in Cuyahoga County, home to Cleveland, where Mr. Romney leads by about 7,000 votes so far -- but only 40 percent of precincts have reported. That could yield a net of 10,000 votes or so for Mr. Romney. But it's hard to say for sure because Cuyahoga contains both Cleveland itself -- where Republican turnout should be light -- as well as more suburban areas.

Mr. Romney should also gain votes in Medina County, which has reported very few results.

But apart from Cuyahoga and Medina, much of the results in Mr. Romney's more favorable areas have been counted; the Columbus area is about 90 percent reported and Cincinnati and its suburbs are about 80 percent reported.

One exception in the Cincinnati area is Clermont County to the west of Cincinnati. Just one of 200 precincts has reported there so far, and that precinct voted for Mr. Santorum, but it contains a combination of suburban and exurban areas that could yield mixed results.

Suffice it to say, this remains too close to call.

- Nate Silver
Let's bomb Russia!

derspiess

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on March 06, 2012, 10:00:09 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 06, 2012, 09:55:05 PM
Quote"We can be poor in spirit, and I don't even consider myself wealthy, which is an interesting thing. It can be here today and gone tomorrow. How I measure riches is by the friends I have and the loved ones I have and the people that I care about in my life, and that's where my values are and that's where my riches are."
--Ann Romney

:lol:

She didn't think that one through real well.

What a ditz.  She should've said "For the first time in my life, I'm proud to be wealthy."  ;)

derspiess

A buddy of mine just texted me:
"Santorum always looks like he's about to cry, he's like Seinfeld;s whiny dorky brother" :D

garbon

Quote from: derspiess on March 06, 2012, 11:18:01 PM
Quote"We can be poor in spirit, and I don't even consider myself wealthy, which is an interesting thing. It can be here today and gone tomorrow. How I measure riches is by the friends I have and the loved ones I have and the people that I care about in my life, and that's where my values are and that's where my riches are."
--Ann Romney

What a ditz.  She should've said "For the first time in my life, I'm proud to be wealthy."  ;)

The Onion did have a vid today about how Romney had a better showing on Super Tuesday now that he has embraced how rich he is. Gives us all something to look up to.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

jimmy olsen

Romney up 3700 votes with 88% in.  :)

1 Karma Chameleon point

derspiess

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 06, 2012, 11:17:58 PM
Romney's back in the lead but it's not that simple.  Nate Silver:
Quote11:05 P.M. Cuyahoga, Medina and Clermont
Mitt Romney has closed his deficit with Rick Santorum to about 2,500 votes. Can he get over the top?

He probably would if the only votes left were in Cuyahoga County, home to Cleveland, where Mr. Romney leads by about 7,000 votes so far -- but only 40 percent of precincts have reported. That could yield a net of 10,000 votes or so for Mr. Romney. But it's hard to say for sure because Cuyahoga contains both Cleveland itself -- where Republican turnout should be light -- as well as more suburban areas.

Mr. Romney should also gain votes in Medina County, which has reported very few results.

But apart from Cuyahoga and Medina, much of the results in Mr. Romney's more favorable areas have been counted; the Columbus area is about 90 percent reported and Cincinnati and its suburbs are about 80 percent reported.

One exception in the Cincinnati area is Clermont County to the west of Cincinnati. Just one of 200 precincts has reported there so far, and that precinct voted for Mr. Santorum, but it contains a combination of suburban and exurban areas that could yield mixed results.

Suffice it to say, this remains too close to call.

- Nate Silver

Clermont County is to the east of Cincy, but whatever.  My parents are there, and it sounds like most of their friends are Romneyites.  I would think Romney won my precinct by a hefty margin.

On the actual West Side of Cincinnati, that has Santorum written all over it.  They're all scruffy, working class Catholics over there.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: garbon on March 06, 2012, 11:21:54 PM

The Onion did have a vid today about how Romney had a better showing on Super Tuesday now that he has embraced how rich he is. Gives us all something to look up to.
I kinda think he would. He's trying to pretend like he's a regular guy and he's obviously not. Dubya was well off but he really sold the down home folksy stuff in a great way. Romney can't, it's antithetical to who he is. Americans won't buy into an obvious fake.

1 Karma Chameleon point

derspiess

Quote from: garbon on March 06, 2012, 11:21:54 PM
Quote from: derspiess on March 06, 2012, 11:18:01 PM
--Ann Romney

:D

FWIW, my post was a thinly-veiled swipe at Michelle O's own late primary gaffe.