News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

GOP Primary Megathread!

Started by jimmy olsen, December 19, 2011, 07:06:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: fahdiz on February 28, 2012, 01:23:40 AM
My prediction is that Santorum will make a strong showing but will not receive the Republican nomination. This will be appropriately scary for Americans whose heads are not firmly implanted in their assholes, because it will indicate that social conservatism of the truly theocratic variety has increased in popularity over the last few years. Santorum's politics are a politics of hate, which isn't necessarily distressing - what is distressing, however, is that such a large number of people just don't get it.

How are politics of hate not necessarily distressing, f?

QuoteI think it will be a close-ish race between Obama and Romney, but Obama will get another term in the end.
Obama wins by > 6%, regardless of who has the nomination.

The GOP will never be given such an easy win for another generation, but no....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqPRwq3QJsk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&NR=1&v=M5QGkOGZubQ

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Razgovory on February 28, 2012, 07:44:08 AM
Also I think that Paul will throw his delegates behind Romney.  Don't know what Gingrich will do.  He doesn't always act rationally.

I don't see either one giving their delegates away.  Maybe Paul, if Romney promises a place for his son.  But not Newt.  Newt will tell his delegates to stay home, and work on a Lego space station.  He's vindictive like that.

Gups

What's the deal with delegates - are they obliged to do whatever the guy they are pledged to tells them? I always thought they could do what they wanted once their guy dropped out

Ideologue

Quote from: garbon on February 27, 2012, 04:40:18 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 27, 2012, 04:34:04 PM
Quote from: garbon on February 27, 2012, 04:32:57 PM
Quote from: derspiess on February 27, 2012, 04:28:47 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on February 27, 2012, 03:55:45 PM
This is the end result in believing that government doesn't require any special skills.  That all problems can be solved through "common sense", folk wisdom, and gut instinct.

Given the job career politicians have done, it's not hard to see why people start out with that belief.

Don't you be talking bad about my Pelosi! :angry:

Pelosi Galore, Bond Babe.

Yes, that was from Dennis Miller.

I changed it. -_-

Ohhhh so it's okay when you do it? :D
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

PDH

Fucking gas prices causing the '08 crash.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

garbon

Quote from: Ideologue on February 28, 2012, 09:48:45 AM
Quote from: garbon on February 27, 2012, 04:40:18 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 27, 2012, 04:34:04 PM
Quote from: garbon on February 27, 2012, 04:32:57 PM
Quote from: derspiess on February 27, 2012, 04:28:47 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on February 27, 2012, 03:55:45 PM
This is the end result in believing that government doesn't require any special skills.  That all problems can be solved through "common sense", folk wisdom, and gut instinct.

Given the job career politicians have done, it's not hard to see why people start out with that belief.

Don't you be talking bad about my Pelosi! :angry:

Pelosi Galore, Bond Babe.

Yes, that was from Dennis Miller.

I changed it. -_-

Ohhhh so it's okay when you do it? :D

He was simply too quick. If you notice I don't have an edit line. :P
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 28, 2012, 08:04:59 AM
Also I think that Paul will throw his delegates behind Romney.  Don't know what Gingrich will do.  He doesn't always act rationally.

I don't see either one giving their delegates away.  Maybe Paul, if Romney promises a place for his son.  But not Newt.  Newt will tell his delegates to stay home, and work on a Lego space station.  He's vindictive like that.
The Lego Space Station would probably be more constructive.  The convention could just turn into an unpleasant brawl over social conservatism versus fiscal conservatism with two candidates who really stand for neither.
PDH!

Sheilbh

Before Dan Savage there was Bob Kerrey.  Apparently after working with him in the Senate he said that 'Santorum is Latin for asshole' :lol:

Also I can see why Romney doesn't give press conferences very often.  He was asked if he thought that stories of his wealth hurt his campaign.  His response was 'Yes.  Next question.'
Let's bomb Russia!

Darth Wagtaros

Romney was flailing like a man lost in Michigan. I was embarrassed on his behalf.
PDH!

11B4V

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 28, 2012, 08:03:06 AM
Quote from: fahdiz on February 28, 2012, 01:23:40 AM
My prediction is that Santorum will make a strong showing but will not receive the Republican nomination. This will be appropriately scary for Americans whose heads are not firmly implanted in their assholes, because it will indicate that social conservatism of the truly theocratic variety has increased in popularity over the last few years. Santorum's politics are a politics of hate, which isn't necessarily distressing - what is distressing, however, is that such a large number of people just don't get it.

How are politics of hate not necessarily distressing, f?

QuoteI think it will be a close-ish race between Obama and Romney, but Obama will get another term in the end.
Obama wins by > 6%, regardless of who has the nomination.

The GOP will never be given such an easy win for another generation, but no....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqPRwq3QJsk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&NR=1&v=M5QGkOGZubQ

Unless it comes out that the Pres is laying lumber to his intern or something, The Obamanation will crush any GOP challenger. GOP will lose worse than 2008 (365-173).
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Fate

I think it will be closer than 2008 but Romney keeps stepping in shit. Really, it's okay that you don't watch NASCAR, but don't tell us that you have good friends who own NASCAR teams in an effort to relate to the common guy. When asked what kind of car you drive, don't mention that your wife drives multiple Cadillacs. Keep that stuff on the down low. Who the hell is advising this guy?

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Fate on February 28, 2012, 11:29:03 AM
When asked what kind of car you drive, don't mention that your wife drives multiple Cadillacs. Keep that stuff on the down low. Who the hell is advising this guy?

They showed footage of him in 2008 over the weekend, where he had mentioned the whole Cadillac thing once before.  At a Ford factory.

Guy's just not plugged in.

JacobL

Razgovory

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 28, 2012, 08:04:59 AM

I think Paul is interested in platform to preach his bat shit craziness.  A VP spot would be perfect for that.  I think Romney will want someone on the ticket who someone is enthusiastic about. Even if it is pot heads and assorted militia members.  I think they will make a deal, they may have already made one.  Paul would probably like some job like Secretary of the Treasury, but I don't think Romney is that desperate.  VP has high visibility but low power.  God only knows what Newt will do.  He very well may tell his delegates to stay home playing with Legos.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Sheilbh

I think it would be Rand Paul not Ron who'd go for VP.  Having him on the ticket with Romney would make McCain-Palin look like Reagan-Bush.
Let's bomb Russia!