News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

GOP Primary Megathread!

Started by jimmy olsen, December 19, 2011, 07:06:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: Ideologue on February 26, 2012, 03:03:43 PM
I'm absolutely, 100% convinced that the people who want to abolish the Departments of Energy and Commerce do not know what the Departments of Energy and Commerce do.

Patents and nuclear materials would be ideally handled by fifty different states, right?
I am absolutely, 100% convinced that the people who insist that the only way to regulate patents and nuclear materials is through departments named "Commerce' and "Energy" do not know what US government departments are.

The US lacks a Department of Printing Currency, and yet prints currency.  The US lacks a Department of Building Buildings, and yet builds buildings.  Similarly, it could lack a Department of Commerce and still regulate patents, and a department of Energy and still regulate nuclear materials.

Fun fact:  more of the existing US power plants were licensed before the DoE was created than were licensed after its creation.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Phillip V

Quote from: grumbler on February 27, 2012, 07:45:53 AM
I'm absolutely, 100% convinced that the people who want to abolish the Departments of Energy and Commerce do not know what the Departments of Energy and Commerce do.

Patents and nuclear materials would be ideally handled by fifty different states, right?
I am absolutely, 100% convinced that the people who insist that the only way to regulate patents and nuclear materials is through departments named "Commerce' and "Energy" do not know what US government departments are.

The US lacks a Department of Printing Currency, and yet prints currency.  The US lacks a Department of Building Buildings, and yet builds buildings.  Similarly, it could lack a Department of Commerce and still regulate patents, and a department of Energy and still regulate nuclear materials.

Fun fact:  more of the existing US power plants were licensed before the DoE was created than were licensed after its creation.

False. It was a terrible dark time of ignorance before the U.S. Department of Education was created in 1980. Since then, the 5,000-employee department has brought about huge national improvements in high school graduation rates and academic performance despite merely doubling the money spent per pupil (adjusted for inflation).

Neil

Yeah, you could easily just shuffle them back into a Department of the Interior.  Might even save some money doing so.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Fate

Does that fun fact have anything to do with DoE or is it mostly related to the rise of the anti-nuclear movement at the same time period?

Barrister

Quote from: Fate on February 27, 2012, 09:48:32 AM

Does that fun fact have anything to do with DoE or is it mostly related to the rise of the anti-nuclear movement at the same time period?

Grumbles didn't make any claim as to causation - he merely listed it as a "fun fact".
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Viking

Quote from: Barrister on February 27, 2012, 09:51:10 AM
Grumbles didn't make any claim as to causation - he merely listed it as a "fun fact".

Here's a fun fact,

- While grumbler wasn't on the Kon-Tiki he was one of the original South American settlers of Easter Island.

Here's a claim to causation,

- Rather than deal with another grumbler strawman the civilisation of Rapa Nui preferred to go extinct.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

PDH

Quote from: Viking on February 27, 2012, 10:00:35 AM
Rather than deal with another grumbler strawman the civilisation of Rapa Nui preferred to go extinct.

:rolleyes:

The moai were made of stone.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

CountDeMoney

Santorum, yesterday on ABC, about JFK's famous "I believe in an America where the separation of church and state is absolute" 1960 speech on religion and public policy--

QuoteTo say that people of faith have no role in the public square? You bet that makes you throw up. What kind of country do we live that says only people of non-faith can come into the public square and make their case? That makes me throw up and it should make every American. . . . Now we're going to turn around and say we're going to impose our values from the government on people of faith, which of course is the next logical step when people of faith, at least according to John Kennedy, have no role in the public square.

Yes, he said "throw up".

That's just super.

Jacob

:huh: Is Santorum running against John F. Kennedy?

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Jacob on February 27, 2012, 11:09:16 AM

And Thomas Jefferson, and George Washington, and LBJ, and Ronald Reagan...

grumbler

Quote from: Barrister on February 27, 2012, 09:51:10 AM

Indeed.  I only put in a "fun fact" because Ide did so.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Sheilbh

I think he's running against the 1960s, so kind of.
Let's bomb Russia!

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 27, 2012, 11:16:04 AM
I think he's running against the 1960s, so kind of.

1964, to be specific.