News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

GOP Primary Megathread!

Started by jimmy olsen, December 19, 2011, 07:06:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Quote from: alfred russel on February 03, 2012, 01:14:22 PM
It's all over. Romney wins by default as the other candidates have disqualified themselves.
Almost certainly.  It's the Sherlock campaign, when you've elminated the impossible whatever remains, however improbable must be the candidate.  But I don't think that means the primary's actually over yet.

Paul will run to the end because that's what he does.  He did last time.

And it's very difficult to see a way back for Gingrich or Santorum.  Though Santorum probably thinks this is his best chance.  Still no-one really loves Romney and Gingrich is weak.  So I expect him to stay in for a while.  Not least because he's on the Missouri ballot, which Gingrich isn't, and that's the first real big primary coming up.

If I was Gingrich (and thank the Lord I'm not) I'd go out in a blaze of destructive negative campaigning after what the Romney campaign's done to him in Iowa and Florida.  Gingrich could just quit.  But I think, as Nate Silver described it, he may stay on as the Jerry Brown to Mitt's eventual Clinton.

QuotePaul's performance in Nevada last time was remarkably better than it was most everywhere else. Expecting him to double that is a bit much.
Yeah.  As I say I think that's a bit hopeful.  But he got 13% last time and given that he's got over 20% in, I think Iowa, New Hampshire and South CarolinaI'd expect him to maybe do that well.  Especially because Nevada and the West in general seems more friendly territory for Paul.
Let's bomb Russia!

Valmy

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 03, 2012, 01:23:00 PM
Paul will run to the end because that's what he does.  He did last time.

Yeah he does not actually want to win the Nom I don't think.  He is in it to bring attention to and get support for the libertarian fringe of the Republican Party.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Sheilbh

I think he's the Libertarian John the Baptist readying the GOP for his son's campaign in 2016.
Let's bomb Russia!

Razgovory

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 03, 2012, 01:36:52 PM
I think he's the Libertarian John the Baptist readying the GOP for his son's campaign in 2016.

Perhaps, but maybe later.  Paul's efforts have never been intended to get him to the Presidency.  He knows he'd never make it.  It's to raise awareness of his "issues", which he has been quite successful at the last two attempts.  Gold Buggery and other assorted lunacy is becoming mainstream in the GOP.  Other candidates are starting to pick it up.  Maybe not this time, but eventually we are going to get a candidate who can win who vows to "End the Fed".  Then we are well and truly fucked.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

I do think it is kinda funny that peace and civil liberties are what gets called insane but gold standards and ending income tax is becoming boringly mainstream.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Ideologue

Why's Obama got to be the black line?
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ideologue on February 04, 2012, 12:04:11 AM
Why's Obama got to be the black line?

No shit.  Don't think I didn't catch that one too.

Razgovory

Quote from: Valmy on February 03, 2012, 04:26:57 PM
I do think it is kinda funny that peace and civil liberties are what gets called insane but gold standards and ending income tax is becoming boringly mainstream.

His "peace" policies which involve the US retreating from almost every military base and leaving every alliance is pretty crazy in my book.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Ideologue

The Tea Party Jesus tumblr is pretty fun.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Martinus

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 03, 2012, 01:36:52 PM

I can't wait for Ru to run.  :cool:

Neil

That might be more interesting if there was a chance that anybody but Romney could win the nomination.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Phillip V

Hopefully Paul places second in Nevada tonight.