Main Menu

GOP Primary Megathread!

Started by jimmy olsen, December 19, 2011, 07:06:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: DGuller on January 31, 2012, 10:34:56 PM
I was hoping for a big long battle to eliminate the strong.  :(

There is no strong in this race.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Darth Wagtaros

PDH!

The Minsky Moment

The President in 2016 is going to be a large holding company.  ExxonMobil Corporation probably satisfies the age requirement. 

Now that corporations are fully legal persons, why not be more efficient and just cut out the middle man?
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Ideologue

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on February 02, 2012, 03:42:54 PM
The President in 2016 is going to be a large holding company.  ExxonMobil Corporation probably satisfies the age requirement. 

Now that corporations are fully legal persons, why not be more efficient and just cut out the middle man?

Meh.

Not to rehash the discussion, but why do I wind up either disagreeing entirely with other leftists (center-facing as you may be), or holding views far more extreme than they do? :lol:
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Ideologue on February 02, 2012, 03:49:37 PM
Not to rehash the discussion, but why do I wind up either disagreeing entirely with other leftists (center-facing as you may be), or holding views far more extreme than they do? :lol:

Leninism is a disease that is hard to cure completely.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

CountDeMoney

Minsky is an educated Jew.  Like Karl Marx.

Ideologue

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on February 02, 2012, 04:00:04 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on February 02, 2012, 03:49:37 PM

Leninism is a disease that is hard to cure completely.

Yeah, Lenin was a real free speech absolutist. :P

I guess it's my qualified libertarian streak, which is usually trivial here because it ordinarily only comes up in the context of the individual, and we're all generally pretty libertarian in that regard.  (Well, the Americans are anyway.  The Euros are of course crypto-fascists to a man.)

Then there's the military adventurism, but that's actually classically left; it's nothing more than the spectre of Vietnam and Euroweeniness that animates the unwitting supporters of dictatorships.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Ideologue on February 02, 2012, 04:04:23 PM
Yeah, Lenin was all about freedom of speech. :P

You were always free to say what you wanted under Lenin; and the Party was always free to line you against the wall and shoot you for counter-revolutionary behavior. 
--Joan Robinson

Neil

Quote from: Ideologue on February 02, 2012, 04:04:23 PM
it's nothing more than the spectre of Vietnam and Euroweeniness that animates the unwitting supporters of dictatorships.
I don't know.  I think it's based on a realistic view of the fundamental weakness of America.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Phillip V

Things are not looking good for Paul and his "caucus-strategy". Romney will handily win Nevada tomorrow as expected, but Paul is trailing badly in third place.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2012/president/nv/nevada_republican_presidential_primary-1768.html

Sheilbh

Romney'll smash Nevada.  But it's worth remembering that Paul's support in Nevada last time was double what the polls were projecting.  That poll projects that Paul will get the same as he did last time round.  So far, in every state, he's at least doubled his support.  So I don't know if I'd read too much into that.  I'd expect him, at least, to do better than in 2008 though he probably won't get double.
Let's bomb Russia!

MadImmortalMan

Paul's performance in Nevada last time was remarkably better than it was most everywhere else. Expecting him to double that is a bit much.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

alfred russel

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 03, 2012, 11:46:34 AM
Romney'll smash Nevada.  But it's worth remembering that Paul's support in Nevada last time was double what the polls were projecting.  That poll projects that Paul will get the same as he did last time round.  So far, in every state, he's at least doubled his support.  So I don't know if I'd read too much into that.  I'd expect him, at least, to do better than in 2008 though he probably won't get double.

It's all over. Romney wins by default as the other candidates have disqualified themselves.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: alfred russel on February 03, 2012, 01:14:22 PM
It's all over. Romney wins by default as the other candidates have disqualified themselves.

That was true even before Iowa.
--Joan Robinson

Phillip V

I am glad that Romney got a thumping in Iowa and South Carolina. Hopefully, he later reaches out to bring the Paultards in rather than futilely bend over for the evangelicals.