News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

GOP Primary Megathread!

Started by jimmy olsen, December 19, 2011, 07:06:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Quote from: fahdiz on January 19, 2012, 11:44:47 AM
Lol. That's going to go over well with the Religious Right!
I think it's striking that Perry's endorsement mentioned forgiveness and redemption.  I expect Gingrich to attack the media in a big way during the debate tonight.  It'll be interesting to see which the religious right prefers.

South Carolina's living up to its reputation.  The leaflet about Santorum's wife is probably the nastiest attack I've seen.
Let's bomb Russia!

dps

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on January 18, 2012, 03:43:04 AM
Quote from: Ideologue on January 17, 2012, 09:36:27 PM
I might.  Ten years in the House and my loans get discharged.

Oh, also, helping people and shit.

That requires actually getting elected.

Many, many, more people would be helped by Ide not getting elected.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 19, 2012, 11:52:47 AM
The leaflet about Santorum's wife is probably the nastiest attack I've seen.

What's the skinny?

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 19, 2012, 11:56:17 AM

What's the skinny?
Someone's done a leaflet that was left on cars at a big pro-life event.  As well as challenging Santorum's pro-life record (he's endorsed pro-choice Republican candidates and in 1990 said he didn't make an issue of abortion).  In addition it also goes on about a story that his wife dated a doctor (in the 80s!) who performed abortions, says they split up because she wanted children while he wanted to kill them but this hadn't bothered her before and so on.

Just not very pleasant stuff at all.
Let's bomb Russia!

dps

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 19, 2012, 12:01:30 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 19, 2012, 11:56:17 AM

What's the skinny?
In addition it also goes on about a story that his wife dated a doctor (in the 80s!) who performed abortions, says they split up because she wanted children while he wanted to kill them but this hadn't bothered her before and so on.

Just not very pleasant stuff at all.

Agree, not very pleasant stuff, but I don't see how that part reflects on Santorum at all.   It has nothing to do with him personally.

Jacob

My fairly superficial impression on the Republican candidates:

Romney - kind of slimy, wishy washy, out-of-touch super rich guy.
Newt - full of himself, vile.
Santorum - seems like a decent guy who genuinely holds positions I don't agree with.

In terms of policy, I think Romney would probably be the best Republican candidate from my point of view, while Santorum's probably the guy I could respect the most. Either one would be fine, though I'd vote for Obama were I an American voter.

Newt, however, seems like he would be terrible.

Razgovory

Quote from: Jacob on January 19, 2012, 12:12:46 PM
My fairly superficial impression on the Republican candidates:

Romney - kind of slimy, wishy washy, out-of-touch super rich guy.
Newt - full of himself, vile.
Santorum - seems like a decent guy who genuinely holds positions I don't agree with.

In terms of policy, I think Romney would probably be the best Republican candidate from my point of view, while Santorum's probably the guy I could respect the most. Either one would be fine, though I'd vote for Obama were I an American voter.

Newt, however, seems like he would be terrible.

What about Ron Paul?  The guy has come in second in the last two runs.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Eddie Teach

Ron Paul loses head to head against any of them. He's just not Republican enough.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

fhdz

Quote from: Razgovory on January 19, 2012, 12:17:19 PM

He's completely unelectable :mellow:
and the horse you rode in on

Jacob

Quote from: Razgovory on January 19, 2012, 12:17:19 PMWhat about Ron Paul?  The guy has come in second in the last two runs.

He's good on civil liberties and foreign policy but crazy on economics. Too big a risk to vote for, I'd say. If he did get elected I'd be worried because the range of what he could do goes all the way from really terrible to really good, and I'd tend to fret about the potential for really terrible. He seems like a decent guy on a personal level, for what that's worth.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Jacob on January 19, 2012, 12:12:46 PM
Romney - kind of slimy

This is from Doggate, or other things too?

Caliga

Quote from: Jacob on January 19, 2012, 12:51:27 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on January 19, 2012, 12:17:19 PMWhat about Ron Paul?  The guy has come in second in the last two runs.

He's good on civil liberties and foreign policy but crazy on economics. Too big a risk to vote for, I'd say. If he did get elected I'd be worried because the range of what he could do goes all the way from really terrible to really good, and I'd tend to fret about the potential for really terrible. He seems like a decent guy on a personal level, for what that's worth.
careful now, Raz is gonna stalk you for a while for not harshly condemning Paul enough... :(
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Razgovory

Quote from: fahdiz on January 19, 2012, 12:33:49 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on January 19, 2012, 12:17:19 PM

He's completely unelectable :mellow:

Also insane.  He's been called "Principled", but rather I think he's simply a monomaniac.  Paul only wants a few things.  The end of Income tax, Fiat money and the Federal reserve.  Everything else is secondary.  I think he's willing to say and do anything to get those things done.  If it means allying with racists and Birchers, he'll do it.  If it means patronizing hipsters and potheads, he'll do it.  It doesn't matter what it takes.  I think that makes him the most dangerous person out there.  Some politicians are willing to say or do anything to advance themselves.  Paul is willing to say and do anything achieve his radical and revolutionary goal.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Razgovory

Quote from: Caliga on January 19, 2012, 12:54:07 PM
Quote from: Jacob on January 19, 2012, 12:51:27 PM

careful now, Raz is gonna stalk you for a while for not harshly condemning Paul enough... :(

I stalk everyone here.