And we're back!

Main Menu

GOP Primary Megathread!

Started by jimmy olsen, December 19, 2011, 07:06:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 16, 2012, 09:19:52 PM
I love Santorum :wub: 

You would.  He's practically a distillation of everything I hate about politicians.  :lol:

When it comes to politicians, all I know is that if you like 'em, I'll hate 'em (though not necessarily the reverse).  ;)
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Sheilbh

I don't know how to take that :lol:

They've all just slammed Romney.  I think he could be the weakest candidate on that stage.

Edit:  I still think Huntsman's, just quoted, description of Romney as a 'perfectly lubricated weather-vane' is possibly the best line of this campaign by some distance.
Let's bomb Russia!

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Sheilbh

I find it sad that a debate of the party of Lincoln cheers the line 'South Carolina is at war with this Federal government'.
Let's bomb Russia!

grumbler

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 16, 2012, 09:27:46 PM
I don't know how to take that :lol:

As long as you don't take it seriously, mystification is okay.  I love your posts, even when they exacerbate my irritation with extremist-lovers.  You think outside the box.

QuoteEdit:  I still think Huntsman's, just quoted, description of Romney as a 'perfectly lubricated weather-vane' is possibly the best line of this campaign by some distance.

Huntsman is good, but has crappy timing.  Maybe later.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 16, 2012, 09:32:36 PM
I find it sad that a debate of the party of Lincoln cheers the line 'South Carolina is at war with this Federal government'.
That isn't the party of Lincoln, and hasn't been for seventy years.

Bayraktar!

Sheilbh

Quote from: grumbler on January 16, 2012, 09:37:58 PM
Huntsman is good, but has crappy timing.  Maybe later.
I think he ran the wrong campaign.  He was trying to run John McCain's 2000 campaign, which I think was a mistake.  His first forays into the race were needless needling of conservatives on things like climate change and evolution. 

He should have run as a strong conservative (as a Governor he got a very strong rating by the Cato Institute and pro-life groups) with the McCain-ish 'country first' stuff that he developed towards the end of the campaign.  I think he could have been a credible, conservative alternative to Romney if he wanted.
Let's bomb Russia!

Sheilbh

I think you have to admire Gingrich's dogged defence of child labour :mellow:

Edit:  In all fairness he continues to do well.
Let's bomb Russia!

Sheilbh

Oh joy!  Rick Perry got asked a question on something he's not been prepped for, in this case Turkey.

They're apparently being run by 'Islamic terrorists'.
Let's bomb Russia!

citizen k

Paul just slammed Patriot Act,

Habbaku

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 16, 2012, 10:15:09 PM
Oh joy!  Rick Perry got asked a question on something he's not been prepped for, in this case Turkey.

They're apparently being run by 'Islamic terrorists'.

:bleeding:
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Sheilbh

That civil liberties section by Santorum and Paul was surprising and heartening.  So was the fact that Romney got booed over the issue.
Let's bomb Russia!

Habbaku

I was rather surprised by Santorum's answer.  He gets a small boost from me because of that.  :)

I think Romney proved he had no idea what he was hypothetically signing.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Sheilbh

Quote from: Habbaku on January 16, 2012, 10:30:19 PM
I was rather surprised by Santorum's answer.  He gets a small boost from me because of that.  :)
The combination of that answer and the felon voting answer makes me like Santorum far more.  It's easy to pander to a crowd that angry but I think he's taken two potentially unpopular stands.  Aside from Ron Paul he's been the boldest.  I hope it pays off with a tick up in SC, he certainly deserves it.

I also like his answer on poverty but that was expected.

On the other hand I think Newt is winning the debate in general.  This one's been good though.  It's got spark.
Let's bomb Russia!

Sheilbh

Watching Mitt Romney talk about hunting is like watching the elderly talk about sex :(
Let's bomb Russia!