News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

GOP Primary Megathread!

Started by jimmy olsen, December 19, 2011, 07:06:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stjaba

McCain is going to endorse Romney tomorrow in New Hampshire. http://politicalwire.com/archives/2012/01/04/mccain_to_endorse_romney.html

The funny thing is that in 2008 McCain was in some ways the equivalent of Romney this year: the "moderate" candidate. A lot of movement conservatives got behind Romney in 2008 as the anti-McCain candidate. Now Romney is the moderate candidate that all the movement conservatives hate.

Valmy

Quote from: stjaba on January 04, 2012, 12:05:11 AM
Rick Perry just announced he is going to back to Texas to reassess his campaign. Of all the surprises so far in the Republican campaign, I think the biggest surprise is how big of a letdown Perry's campaign was. He had every advantage in the world- tons of money; big state governor; solid conservative credentials,  high initial poll numbers; and yet he somehow managed to finish in 5th place in a fairly mediocre field.

Yeah I am shocked a corrupt and worthless man was...worthless.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

jimmy olsen

Quote from: alfred russel on January 04, 2012, 12:05:58 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 03, 2012, 11:58:48 PM
Meh, don't need to read 34 pages to know how goofy Iowan Republitards are.

Well, next we go to New Hampshire, where Pat Buchanan won the primary. Then we go to South Carolina. And then Florida.

When do the get to the non goofy states?
Florida is the 4th biggest state isn't it? That's as mainstream as you get.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

stjaba

Quote from: Valmy on January 04, 2012, 12:20:15 AM
Quote from: stjaba on January 04, 2012, 12:05:11 AM
Rick Perry just announced he is going to back to Texas to reassess his campaign. Of all the surprises so far in the Republican campaign, I think the biggest surprise is how big of a letdown Perry's campaign was. He had every advantage in the world- tons of money; big state governor; solid conservative credentials,  high initial poll numbers; and yet he somehow managed to finish in 5th place in a fairly mediocre field.

Yeah I am shocked a corrupt and worthless man was...worthless.

On paper he was a great candidate.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: jimmy olsen on January 04, 2012, 12:22:23 AM

Are California, Texas and New York "mainstream"?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

jimmy olsen

So it looks like a late Santorum surge from behind makes for a messy three-way contest.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on January 04, 2012, 12:25:06 AM

How can they not be?

1 Karma Chameleon point

Eddie Teach

Quote from: jimmy olsen on January 04, 2012, 12:28:12 AM
So it looks like a late Santorum surge from behind makes for a messy three-way contest.

You said that just for Malthus's benefit, didn't you?

Also, how are you defining "mainstream" such that Texas and New York both fit but Iowa and New Hampshire don't?

garbon

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on January 04, 2012, 12:25:06 AM

Yes. :huh:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ideologue

Quote from: Mitt RomneyWhat I can promise you is this – when you get out of college, if I'm president you'll have a job. If President Obama is reelected, you will not be able to get a job

Hey, does this mean if Mitt wins, I'll get two jobs?  Score.

Seriously, what an asshole.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

MadImmortalMan

So, we could get the worst possible outcome. Strange, Iowa usually picks moderates like Bush I and Bob Dole.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Eddie Teach

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on January 04, 2012, 12:44:10 AM
So, we could get the worst possible outcome.

Nah, he's
Quotegoing to back to Texas to reassess his campaign.
:yeah:

Santorum's a great outcome because he can't beat Obama.

dps

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on January 04, 2012, 12:47:12 AM
Santorum's a great outcome because he can't beat Obama.

Don't be so sure.  If unemployment is, say, 15% in November, anybody the Republicans run might beat Obama.  Granted, Santorum is probably the least likely of the major possibilities to beat him.

Ideologue

I think that's a mistake, deeps.  Unless unemployment is 15% because of something directly attributable to Obama, and not the obstructionism of the GOP Congress or bad policy of the previous administration (or, more charitably, the Crisis on Infinite Earths that seems to be occurring throughout the world), I don't think Santorum would stand a chance.

Romney... maybe.  Maybe.  But only because he's a fucking liar, as I noted above.

Edit: Do bear in mind that even I am not Obama's biggest fan these days.  I mean, he was never going to be John Edwards.  But damn.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Faeelin

I wonder how likely this is to be a self-fulfilling prophecy for Romney. The more people talk about how he can't seal the deal and get above the support he's got now, the more difficult fundraising will be and boosting support.