News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

GOP Primary Megathread!

Started by jimmy olsen, December 19, 2011, 07:06:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 02, 2012, 04:31:20 PM
Is not a monetary hawk who thinks increasing interest rates is a reasonable step in his campaign to end the Fed.  It's like suggesting a Trot wants the overthrow of the capitalist system but would, in the interim, accept works councils. 

I'm not sure what you mean here Shelf.

BTW Raz, you could do a lot worse than adopting Shelf as your model for internet debating.

Razgovory

I'm honestly bemused at the idea that you and Grumbler are afraid I'm somehow going to "get" you.  I think Sheilbh is wrong in what he's arguing.  I don't think it would benefit me much to argue from positions that are untenable.  You might like for me to do that though. :lol:
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Habbaku

Quote from: Razgovory on January 02, 2012, 04:39:47 PM
I think Sheilbh is wrong in what he's arguing.  I don't think it would benefit me much to argue from positions that are untenable.  You might like for me to do that though.

I think this right here pretty much proves Yi's point.  That isn't what he's saying, but you will blithely pretend it is because it makes his statement look bad.  It's dishonest at its very core and if you don't recognize that, well...
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 02, 2012, 04:36:01 PM
I'm not sure what you mean here Shelf.
On this subject - and others perhaps - he's fundamentally an extremist.  Nothing short of 'sound' non-fiat, non-Fed 'paper money will satisfy.  I think when you were saying about the OWS not being rife with monetary hawks you implied that Paul's fundamentally just a monetary hawk, while the OWS misunderstand things.  I've no argument with you on the latter point but think Paul wants far more than hawkish Fed - even as a stop gap measure.

As I say he reminds me of the interactions I've had with Trotskyists.
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Razgovory on January 02, 2012, 04:39:47 PM
I'm honestly bemused at the idea that you and Grumbler are afraid I'm somehow going to "get" you.

This is the central flaw in your position.  I'm not afraid you're going to "get me."  The only way I would be afraid you're going to get me is if I conceded to you the moral authority to fairly judge when I've been gotten and when I haven't and if I had a quaking dread of being shown to be wrong.  Neither of those conditions is satisfied.

Without this fear of being gotten by you there's no incentive to play game.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 02, 2012, 04:42:55 PM
On this subject - and others perhaps - he's fundamentally an extremist.  Nothing short of 'sound' non-fiat, non-Fed 'paper money will satisfy.  I think when you were saying about the OWS not being rife with monetary hawks you implied that Paul's fundamentally just a monetary hawk, while the OWS misunderstand things.  I've no argument with you on the latter point but think Paul wants far more than hawkish Fed - even as a stop gap measure.

As I say he reminds me of the interactions I've had with Trotskyists.

Don't necessarily disagree with you.  One thing this campaign cycle has done for me is to dispel any lingering doubts about Paul's intellectual rigor.  Would he be happy with a rule-based Fed, one that expands money supply by a constant (Friedman during the inflation debates of the 70's proposed a flat 4% a year)?  Probably not.  He's fixed on the gold standard as a means in and of itself.

Razgovory

You disparage my moral authority?  Why?  Actually why did you make that statement?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Razgovory

Fine, Shelf, ask Yi what he meant by sole evil America and puppetry and tree planting statement.  He's being a baby and won't respond to me.

Ed Anger

I have a list of people I won't respond to.  :)
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Eddie Teach

As I haven't been following the news and the subject doesn't appear to have been addressed here, I'll ask- what happened to trigger this apparent Santorum surge and Newt collapse?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

DGuller

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on January 02, 2012, 05:34:28 PM
As I haven't been following the news and the subject doesn't appear to have been addressed here, I'll ask- what happened to trigger this apparent Santorum surge and Newt collapse?
January rolled around.

Neil

Quote from: Razgovory on January 02, 2012, 12:41:37 PM
The liberal alliance with mass mobolizing warfare ended in the late 1960's.  We don't even have mass mobilizing warfare anymore.  It's not like we were drafting people for the Iraq adventure.
Yeah, the atom bomb pretty much ended industrialized warfare.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Eddie Teach

I must be going crazy, thought I saw Mongers post something about sanitariums.  :hmm:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Martinus

Santorum's nomination would be probably the best thing possible to happen to Obama.  :lol:

Sheilbh

Quote from: Martinus on January 02, 2012, 06:00:24 PM
Santorum's nomination would be probably the best thing possible to happen to Obama.  :lol:
I don't know about that.  They could nominate Paul.  Or Perry.  Or Bachmann.  Or Gingrich...
Let's bomb Russia!