News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

GOP Primary Megathread!

Started by jimmy olsen, December 19, 2011, 07:06:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Razgovory on January 02, 2012, 04:04:45 PM
You really don't take the time to find out what the other side thinks, do you?

Incorrect.

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 02, 2012, 04:04:34 PM
Based on your last post Shelf it seems we've been discussing different things then.  I was talking about the possibility of Paulites and various flavors of zany leftist to find common cause.  It seems you've been talking about the possibility of Paul's platform finding enough popular support to eventually be adopted as policy.

To your second post:

I don't know anything about Paul supporters.  Haven't read their Facebook postings, haven't seen any of their banners.  I'm going on what Paul says about the gold standard.

Cal's wife posts here sometimes.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 02, 2012, 04:09:32 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on January 02, 2012, 04:04:45 PM
You really don't take the time to find out what the other side thinks, do you?

Incorrect.

Then why is it always so far off the mark?  Are you deliberately obscuring your knowledge?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Razgovory on January 02, 2012, 04:10:41 PM

I don't recall her posting about the gold standard.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Razgovory on January 02, 2012, 04:11:23 PM
Then why is it always so far off the mark?  Are you deliberately obscuring your knowledge?

ossum

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 02, 2012, 04:11:52 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on January 02, 2012, 04:10:41 PM

I don't recall her posting about the gold standard.

You must have missed it, I do.  We all jumped down her ass and she kinda left.  Actually she wasn't just for the gold standard, but something she called "a basket of commodities".

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 02, 2012, 04:13:05 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on January 02, 2012, 04:11:23 PM

ossum

Okay, please explain the statement about sole source of evil and puppet shows.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Razgovory on January 02, 2012, 04:13:41 PM
Okay, please explain the statement about sole source of evil and puppet shows.

There's no point to it.  If it were someone else asking the question, someone who has demonstrated that they discuss in good faith, there would be.  I would explain my thinking, we would evaluate the evidence and the logic, and move forward.  That's not going to happen with you.  You're trying to build up to what you think is a gotcha moment, and when it doesn't happen you just move on to your next attempt without in any way conceding a point or altering your own thinking on any issue.

Razgovory

What are you afraid that I will "Gotcha" on?  Is there some inconsistency in your argument?  Do you believe it can not take scrutiny?  Are you just channeling Grumbler?

dps

I think that Yi is trying to say is that even if Ron Paul and the majority of the people involved in the "Occupy" movement both want to abolish the Federal Reserve and return to the gold standard, both their reasons for wanting to implement those policies and their expectations about the results of implementing them are not the same, perhaps even diametrically opposed. 

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Razgovory on January 02, 2012, 04:25:07 PM
What are you afraid that I will "Gotcha" on?  Is there some inconsistency in your argument?  Do you believe it can not take scrutiny?  Are you just channeling Grumbler?

:lol:

I can't tell if you're satirizing yourself or not.

Martinus

Quote from: dps on January 02, 2012, 04:25:26 PM
I think that Yi is trying to say is that even if Ron Paul and the majority of the people involved in the "Occupy" movement both want to abolish the Federal Reserve and return to the gold standard, both their reasons for wanting to implement those policies and their expectations about the results of implementing them are not the same, perhaps even diametrically opposed.

Uhm, the majority of people involved in the Occupy movement want to return to the gold standard? Really?  :huh:

Wow, I thought they were starry-eyed idealists but I didn't think they were absolute idiots.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 02, 2012, 04:04:34 PM
Based on your last post Shelf it seems we've been discussing different things then.  I was talking about the possibility of Paulites and various flavors of zany leftist to find common cause.  It seems you've been talking about the possibility of Paul's platform finding enough popular support to eventually be adopted as policy.
I think the two are the same thing. They're never going to join the same third party but various lefties agree and could cooperate with Paul on many issues.  I mean his sole partner in his end the Fed crusade was Bernie Sanders, though I think their goals were different.  Now they've got new supporters too.

QuoteI don't know anything about Paul supporters.  Haven't read their Facebook postings, haven't seen any of their banners.  I'm going on what Paul says about the gold standard.
I was linking to his page.  This:
QuoteAs President, Ron Paul will work for passage of comprehensive audit legislation, and he will also fight to legalize sound money so Americans will have alternatives to the Fed's inflated paper money.

Ultimately, he will lead the charge to end the dishonest, immoral, and unconstitutional Federal Reserve System, enabling America to take a giant step toward economic security, financial responsibility, and lasting prosperity.
Is not a monetary hawk who thinks increasing interest rates is a reasonable step in his campaign to end the Fed.  It's like suggesting a Trot wants the overthrow of the capitalist system but would, in the interim, accept works councils. 

QuoteThe Civil Libertarian thing and the betrayal of such.
The one group of 2008 Obama supporters who I think can legitimately feel betrayed are civil libertarians. 

QuoteProve they want to abolish the Fed.  It's a fairly disparate group, but I doubt a majority wish to abolish the fed.  Few people actually understand what the Fed actually does, and that include almost everyone who wants to abolish it.
I can't prove it, anymore than anyone can prove what policies they support.  It's not that sort of group.  I thought I made that clear.

I agree on your last sentence, but I don't think it matters in this context.  People don't have to understand the consequences of a policy to support it or not.  And it doesn't matter whether they do or not.
Let's bomb Russia!

Razgovory

Oh here's Cal's wife on the Ron Paul stuff.  http://languish.org/forums/index.php?topic=5704.60

I don't know what you could possibly mean, Yi.  Going on Sarah Palin on me, afraid I'm going to get you and such.  If your arguments are logical and sound and antiwar protesters really do believe that the US is the sole source of evil and that the world's problems can be solved through a combination of puppetry and arboriculture then you certainly have nothing to fear from an uneducated, jobless lunatic like me.

dps

Quote from: Martinus on January 02, 2012, 04:27:08 PM
Quote from: dps on January 02, 2012, 04:25:26 PM

Uhm, the majority of people involved in the Occupy movement want to return to the gold standard? Really?  :huh:

Wow, I thought they were starry-eyed idealists but I didn't think they were absolute idiots.

I have no idea whether or not the majority, or even a significant minority, of the people in the Occupy movement want to return to the gold standard, but Sheilbh and Mongers were suggesting the possiblity.