And we're back!

Main Menu

GOP debate

Started by MadImmortalMan, August 11, 2011, 08:02:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Viking

Quote from: derspiess on August 11, 2011, 11:06:44 PM
Quote from: Neil on August 11, 2011, 10:52:04 PM
Even the people who want to maintain lower taxes also don't want to cut spending.

Ever heard of the Tea Party?

First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Valmy

So how did Ron Paul do?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

11B4V

Quote from: Grallon on August 11, 2011, 08:50:53 PM

I've said it before - I'll repeat it again:  The US will crumble under the weight of its own internal contradictions.  And that schizophrenic fixation about taxation (and state power behind it) among the American Populus is one of the most glaring of those contradictions; in fact I'd wager it's what will drive their republic under.  Mark my word.

G.

Naw, the american public has a severe case of ADHD. The majority of the masses dont give a shit and are lazy. Sorry your prediction is stupid.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Neil

Bachmann said 'unconstitutional individual mandate' a lot.  She's terrible.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Viking

Quote from: Valmy on August 12, 2011, 08:00:01 AM
So how did Ron Paul do?

not very well, his pro-iran stance probably didn't do him any good. He wasn't comfortable and he was nervous and didn't string together too many coherent sentences, probably trying to say too much in the time allowed.

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Princesca

The problem with Ron Paul is that his ideas are much better explained in his books. He is not a good orator, plain and simple. His voice gets wavery, which makes him look like he has Parkinsons or something, he talks too fast, and trips over his words. That's why RP adherents in the audience still applaud, because they know his positions from having read them. If I only knew about Ron Paul from watching him, I would have written him off as a fringe candidate, as most people do. Reading his books are what helped me to understand his real message.

His point about Iran is not something that I believe most Americans have the logic skills to understand anymore - like how most people can't understand the difference between 'can' and 'should'. He's basically saying that you can't blame a country for wanting nuclear weapons, not that he's going to be jumping for joy if they do, or that he thinks they SHOULD, or that it would be a good thing. It gives that country "street cred" in the international community that you don't get if you don't have them. So why wouldn't they want them? Of course they do. And where do you draw the line about who gets to have them and who doesn't? And why should we, alone, carry the burden of making that decision? If Israel feels Iran is a threat, let them deal with Iran. If the global community feels Iran is a threat, let us all deal with Iran together. He's just arguing that embargoes don't really work as a means of conflict avoidance. And the US should not be acting solely in this, riding in like some B-movie cowboy to police the world. Those military engagements begun in the Bush years, in tandem with entitlement programs, are a big reason why we're in the financial position we're in. Ron Paul goes a step further to add that, if we didn't have fiat currency, we probably wouldn't have gone to war in Iraq. When a nation has to sacrifice to pay for a war, it's far more likely to be either a) done quickly or b) not entered into at all, because only the most noble causes will inspire that kind of prolonged sacrifice.

I haven't thought out my position on this... so I'm not saying I agree or disagree. But this is his philosophy having read both of his "general platform" books.

Of the candidates, Ron Paul remains my favorite for his proven consistency, his economic foresight, limited government philosophy, and his passion for not involving the US in aggressive wars, but I don't think he's electable, and no one else on that stage interests me at all, so I will probably be going third party again this year if those are my choices.  :rolleyes:

"You know what I hate about deep space? Crap radio stations from two hundred years back. My gosh, we were idiots." - Joker, Mass Effect 2

"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines." - Emerson

11B4V

Quote from: Princesca on August 12, 2011, 09:40:45 AM
The problem with Ron Paul is that his ideas are much better explained in his books. He is not a good orator, plain and simple.
If by some miracle he is the GOP choice, he will never beat Obama with this critical weakness. Obamanation will crush him.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

11B4V

Besides, I dont see any of those GOP morons challenging the black messiah.

Viking

Quote from: 11B4V on August 12, 2011, 09:43:53 AM
The problem with Ron Paul is that his ideas are much better explained in his books. He is not a good orator, plain and simple.
If by some miracle he is the GOP choice, he will never beat Obama with this critical weakness. Obamanation will crush him.

To be honest none of these Republicans look likely to even trouble Obama very much.

Neil

Those military engagements begun in the Bush years... are a big reason why we're in the financial position we're in.
$1.2 trillion over ten years isn't really significant.
QuoteRon Paul goes a step further to add that, if we didn't have fiat currency, we probably wouldn't have gone to war in Iraq. When a nation has to sacrifice to pay for a war, it's far more likely to be either a) done quickly or b) not entered into at all, because only the most noble causes will inspire that kind of prolonged sacrifice.
So wait...  He's putting forward a restricting freedom of action as a positive for the gold standard?  And people listen to this guy?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Valmy

Quote from: Neil on August 12, 2011, 09:51:47 AM
So wait...  He's putting forward a restricting freedom of action as a positive for the gold standard?  And people listen to this guy?

In the sense that is forces the government to be more accountable and responsible.  People who like Ron Paul do think that is a positive.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Warspite

I don't see how tying your money supply to the output of a few mines in South Africa is making government accountable and responsible.
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Viking on August 12, 2011, 09:49:18 AM
To be honest none of these Republicans look likely to even trouble Obama very much.

None of them can beat him. The economy can.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

Quote from: Warspite on August 12, 2011, 10:36:13 AM
I don't see how tying your money supply to the output of a few mines in South Africa is making government accountable and responsible.

I think it is the idea that tying the money to something makes governments accountable.

DGuller

It ties well to the idea of libertardians that the government that governs best is the government that is bound, gagged, and blindfolded.