Census: Half of Americans Are Poor or Low-Income

Started by Capetan Mihali, December 15, 2011, 05:03:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Malthus

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Capetan Mihali

I don't really get the point of boats in general.  They must be fun places to get drunk on during the summer, but otherwise they seem like all hassle. 
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on December 16, 2011, 03:47:33 PM
I don't really get the point of boats in general.  They must be fun places to get drunk on during the summer, but otherwise they seem like all hassle.

You're pretty much right.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Valmy

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on December 16, 2011, 03:02:19 PM
#5 One recent survey found that 77 percent of all U.S. small businesses do not plan to hire any more workers.

#8 According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, 16.6 million Americans were self-employed back in December 2006.  Today, that number has shrunk to 14.5 million.

These are particularly worrying.  Wages are down, less disposable income, less money for small businesses.  Less money for business in general.  Are the big boys going to be hiring alot soon?  I had a point earlier about declining wages should be leading to more hiring here stateside right?  Then we would get more earners and thus enable more consumers and thus more of a chance for the small businesses to make it.

But it just is not happening.  Heck wages have been declining or low for at least a decade now but unemployment has only increased  :hmm:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Habbaku

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on December 16, 2011, 03:47:33 PM

Having been on plenty, I love other people's boats, but would never own one myself.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Admiral Yi

Before I get too worried about that #5 stat I would like to know what the historical average is.

Iormlund

Quote from: Valmy on December 16, 2011, 03:54:30 PM
Quote from: MadImmortalMan on December 16, 2011, 03:02:19 PM
#5 One recent survey found that 77 percent of all U.S. small businesses do not plan to hire any more workers.

#8 According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, 16.6 million Americans were self-employed back in December 2006.  Today, that number has shrunk to 14.5 million.

These are particularly worrying.  Wages are down, less disposable income, less money for small businesses.  Less money for business in general.  Are the big boys going to be hiring alot soon?  I had a point earlier about declining wages should be leading to more hiring here stateside right?  Then we would get more earners and thus enable more consumers and thus more of a chance for the small businesses to make it.

But it just is not happening.  Heck wages have been declining or low for at least a decade now but unemployment has only increased  :hmm:

Things are like that over here as well. Hiring anyone else is verboten even when there's too much work. Current employees have to cope, with frozen salaries.

But at least we have work. Many small firms and self-employed have gone under.

Rasputin

Quote from: HVC on December 16, 2011, 01:58:30 PM
a ten year payment plan on a boat?

I think what you're ignoring is to get to the point of a yacht you have several other expenses. house, private school, trophy wife. So while plausable to get the boat it's unlikely unless he's willing to give up quite a bit.

the cheapest part of owning a yacht is the cost to buy it

i promise that to be so

Who is John Galt?

Malthus

Swimming pools fall into that category for me, too - just seems like something that causes endless hassle and expense, for the very occasonal use.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

HVC

Quote from: Rasputin on December 16, 2011, 04:05:28 PM
Quote from: HVC on December 16, 2011, 01:58:30 PM
a ten year payment plan on a boat?

I think what you're ignoring is to get to the point of a yacht you have several other expenses. house, private school, trophy wife. So while plausable to get the boat it's unlikely unless he's willing to give up quite a bit.

the cheapest part of owning a yacht is the cost to buy it

i promise that to be so

Boat is an acronym of Bust Out Another Thousand. and that's fro cheap pleasure craft :P
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Ideologue

I'm really sorry I off-handedly mentioned a fucking yacht.
Kinemalogue

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Ed Anger

Quote from: Malthus on December 16, 2011, 04:07:49 PM
Swimming pools fall into that category for me, too - just seems like something that causes endless hassle and expense, for the very occasonal use.

Hot tubs now......
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive