Census: Half of Americans Are Poor or Low-Income

Started by Capetan Mihali, December 15, 2011, 05:03:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: Rasputin on December 16, 2011, 04:05:28 PM
Quote from: HVC on December 16, 2011, 01:58:30 PM
a ten year payment plan on a boat?

I think what you're ignoring is to get to the point of a yacht you have several other expenses. house, private school, trophy wife. So while plausable to get the boat it's unlikely unless he's willing to give up quite a bit.

the cheapest part of owning a yacht is the cost to buy it

i promise that to be so

Yacht ownership has been compared to having an icy-cold shower whilst tearing up £20 notes  :P

Valmy

Quote from: Malthus on December 16, 2011, 04:07:49 PM
Swimming pools fall into that category for me, too - just seems like something that causes endless hassle and expense, for the very occasonal use.

Especially in Canada.  At least in the 51 weeks of winter it doubles as an ice rink.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: Ideologue on December 16, 2011, 04:25:59 PM
I'm really sorry I off-handedly mentioned a fucking yacht.

Yeah I don't think I am ever going to get that discussion going as to why decreasing labor costs are not increasing employment :P
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Rasputin

Quote from: HVC on December 16, 2011, 04:22:26 PM
Quote from: Rasputin on December 16, 2011, 04:05:28 PM
Quote from: HVC on December 16, 2011, 01:58:30 PM
a ten year payment plan on a boat?

I think what you're ignoring is to get to the point of a yacht you have several other expenses. house, private school, trophy wife. So while plausable to get the boat it's unlikely unless he's willing to give up quite a bit.

the cheapest part of owning a yacht is the cost to buy it

i promise that to be so

Boat is an acronym of Bust Out Another Thousand. and that's fro cheap pleasure craft :P
that's just to fill the tanks :contract:

add in dockage, insurance, engine services, generator services, sattelite radio and tv bills, hull waxing, etc,  and you are looking at 20,000 per year on an inexpensive yacht

then once you hit 50 feet you're looking at crew expenses and the price increases exponentially
Who is John Galt?

Malthus

:lol:

The fucking ones cost extra.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Richard Hakluyt

Ideologue

Quote from: Valmy on December 16, 2011, 04:57:37 PM

Yeah I don't think I am ever going to get that discussion going as to why decreasing labor costs are not increasing employment :P

To hazard a completely out-of-my-ass guess, I'd say the shift to a service economy.  In a more industrial economy, decreased wages would lead to cheaper goods, and greater demand.  And to a degree, since service sector wages are in part reflected in prices, that may be true.  However, when the manufacturing costs of the goods we purchase don't fall, and therefore prices do not fall to the same degree as wages, demand does not rise to stabilize the fall in wages.

Could be totally full of shit.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Sheilbh

I don't know that there's the demand, or that businesses are sure there will be the demand in the future (which is more important).  The Eurozone's on a knife-edge, India's falling, China's got even more fearful rumours than normal.  It's still too uncertain a time.

Again the best hope is the American consumer.  There's positive signs there and, from what I've read, the last few jobs reports are on the up.
Let's bomb Russia!

Monoriu

Quote from: Ideologue on December 16, 2011, 05:40:19 PM

To hazard a completely out-of-my-ass guess, I'd say the shift to a service economy.  In a more industrial economy, decreased wages would lead to cheaper goods, and greater demand.  And to a degree, since service sector wages are in part reflected in prices, that may be true.  However, when the manufacturing costs of the goods we purchase don't fall, and therefore prices do not fall to the same degree as wages, demand does not rise to stabilize the fall in wages.

Could be totally full of shit.

My guess.  Your labout costs maybe decreasing, but it is still expensive relative to China or automation.  Actually, the relatively good US employment figures in the past decade or so were fueled by the housing bubble.  Now that the bubble is gone, employment just reverted back to its natural state. 

PDH

Quote from: Rasputin on December 16, 2011, 05:02:06 PM
that's just to fill the tanks :contract:

add in dockage, insurance, engine services, generator services, sattelite radio and tv bills, hull waxing, etc,  and you are looking at 20,000 per year on an inexpensive yacht

then once you hit 50 feet you're looking at crew expenses and the price increases exponentially
My grandfather docked at the St Francis Yacht Club in San Francisco, took his 68 foot ketch out every weekend in the winter - long cruises in the Spring and Summer, and always had at least 1 full time boat guy to do the brightwork, sails, engine work, etc.

He loved sailing, and thankfully he had the funds to do it, but damn it can get costly.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

mongers

Quote from: Sheilbh on December 16, 2011, 05:48:26 PM

I don't know that there's the demand, or that businesses are sure there will be the demand in the future (which is more important).  The Eurozone's on a knife-edge, India's falling, China's got even more fearful rumours than normal.  It's still too uncertain a time.

Again the best hope is the American consumer.  There's positive signs there and, from what I've read, the last few jobs reports are on the up.

This is one of my major concerns where is the consumer growth that is required for the markets to sustain their current levels; if total world demand is going to all but flatline for a few years then how is market bubble going to be sustained, within which financial players, both large and tiny, expect to be able to make a percent or two per month ?   :unsure

PS Shelf, did you get my email/PM ?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

The Minsky Moment

it's a really good question and I have yet to hear a totally convincing answer.
Given that firm balance sheets have improved and profits remain pretty decent, this would be a logical time for firms to react by hiring labor and competing for extra market share.  It's not happening.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Sheilbh

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on December 16, 2011, 05:54:11 PM
it's a really good question and I have yet to hear a totally convincing answer.
What are the major theories?
Let's bomb Russia!

Sheilbh

Quote from: mongers on December 16, 2011, 05:53:59 PM
PS Shelf, did you get my email/PM ?
No :mellow:

Which is odd.  Try the PM again and hopefully it'll get through.
Let's bomb Russia!