Census: Half of Americans Are Poor or Low-Income

Started by Capetan Mihali, December 15, 2011, 05:03:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: Josephus on December 16, 2011, 10:02:00 AM
Yes. Tea-partiests who pine for the good old days forget this.

No wonder no jobs were created in the 50s :(
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Valmy on December 16, 2011, 10:03:08 AM
No wonder no jobs were created in the 50s :(

Jobs were created in the 50s because American consumers had 15 years of pent up demand and international competition had been eliminated by superior firepower.

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 16, 2011, 10:05:34 AM
Jobs were created in the 50s because American consumers had 15 years of pent up demand and international competition had been eliminated by superior firepower.

But what would be the motivation for filling that demand with those sorts of tax rates?  'Yeah I sold lots of goods.  Pity I made no money'?

Besides how was consumer demand being pent up in 1935?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Valmy on December 16, 2011, 10:12:47 AM
But what would be the motivation for filling that demand with those sorts of tax rates?  'Yeah I sold lots of goods.  Pity I made no money'?
I expect a lot of that demand was being met by corporations.

QuoteBesides how was consumer demand being pent up in 1935?

Great Depression.  No money to spend.

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 16, 2011, 10:17:49 AM

Right...so there would be no pent up demand because there was no cash.  Unless impoverished countries are just waiting to explode in orgies of consumerism.  And if you are tracing this back to the depression for the cause of 50s prosperity why does it start in 1935?

QuoteI expect a lot of that demand was being met by corporations.

Yes and they would find people to manage these corporations how?  Did executives and managers enjoy working for free in the 1950s?  They would not find loopholes for their taxes at all and just pony up 70% or 80% of it?

Sheilbh

Quote from: Valmy on December 16, 2011, 10:12:47 AMBut what  would be the motivation for filling that demand with those sorts of tax rates?  'Yeah I sold lots of goods.  Pity I made no money'?
Probably lingering 'all in this together' from the war.  Sense of community and common purpose helped - a couple of conservative writers argued that the right and left idealise the 50s.  The left for the economy, the right for the 'family values', they basically argued the two were linked - which is an interesting idea.  Maybe there was a stronger sense of civic responsibility? 

What's more weird is that top tax rate was cut after the war and then raised again in the 50s.

Having said all that I don't like confiscatory rates.
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Valmy on December 16, 2011, 10:22:07 AM
Right...so there would be no pent up demand because there was no cash.  Unless impoverished countries are just waiting to explode in orgies of consumerism.  And if you are tracing this back to the depression for the cause of 50s prosperity why does it start in 1935?

I don't follow.  Are you saying people didn't have any cash in the 1950s?

It doesn't start in 1935.  It starts in 1929.

QuoteYes and they would find people to manage these corporations how?  Did executives and managers enjoy working for free in the 1950s?  They would not find loopholes for their taxes at all and just pony up 70% or 80% of it?

Beats me.

Malthus

Quote from: Sheilbh on December 16, 2011, 10:22:25 AM
Quote from: Valmy on December 16, 2011, 10:12:47 AMBut what  would be the motivation for filling that demand with those sorts of tax rates?  'Yeah I sold lots of goods.  Pity I made no money'?
Probably lingering 'all in this together' from the war.  Sense of community and common purpose helped - a couple of conservative writers argued that the right and left idealise the 50s.  The left for the economy, the right for the 'family values', they basically argued the two were linked - which is an interesting idea.  Maybe there was a stronger sense of civic responsibility? 

What's more weird is that top tax rate was cut after the war and then raised again in the 50s.

Having said all that I don't like confiscatory rates.

I wonder if having a high degree of wealth inequality tends to undermine social solidarity generally.

The pros of allowing a high degree of wealth inequality = allows more scope for innovation

The cons = tends to undermine social solidarity, can undermine meritocracy over time

Mind you, social solidarity is a not unmixed blessing itself - can appear as stifling conformity. 
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 16, 2011, 10:32:55 AM
I don't follow.  Are you saying people didn't have any cash in the 1950s?

Yes but the pent up demand would come entirely from the war.  That is when people had money and couldn't buy stuff (well they did...but you know)

But I was saying I do not really think taxing the rich is the answer.  You seem pretty determined to show me that, in fact, it does work perfectly fine.  Which confuses me.  But sometimes I do not understand what you are getting at or what your point is when you start asking me questions.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Valmy on December 16, 2011, 10:36:29 AM
Yes but the pent up demand would come entirely from the war.

But I was saying I do not really think taxing the rich is the answer.  You seem pretty determined to show me that, in fact, it does work perfectly fine.  Which confuses me.  But sometimes I never understand what you are getting at or what your point is when you start asking me questions.

WTF?

I'm not determined to show you anything.  I'm explaining how things worked back then to the best of my understanding.  I'm asking you questions when I don't know what you mean.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Malthus on December 16, 2011, 10:34:37 AMI wonder if having a high degree of wealth inequality tends to undermine social solidarity generally.

The pros of allowing a high degree of wealth inequality = allows more scope for innovation

The cons = tends to undermine social solidarity, can undermine meritocracy over time

Mind you, social solidarity is a not unmixed blessing itself - can appear as stifling conformity.
That's very possible, I think.  It's another of those issues which each society will deal with in their own way.  Scandinavians will always be more egalitarian than Anglo-Saxons.

My view is that inequality's become more of a problem in the UK in recent years and has gone too far.  I think we're getting more of the negative effects than the positive.  We should work to reduce it.
Let's bomb Russia!

Ideologue

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 16, 2011, 09:39:50 AM
Quote from: Ideologue on December 16, 2011, 05:22:40 AM
Also, did that happen a lot in the period 1940-1980?  Because high marginal rates were a feature of American life for nearly half a century, yet our population of rich people grew along with our middle class and economy as a whole.  It was pretty sweet to hear people tell it. :mellow:

JFK is the one who dropped the confiscatory war time top rates.

JFK and LBJ (or Congress under JFK and LBJ) moved it from ~90% to ~70%, but it dropped slower until Reagan, when it fell to ~50%.  Evidently, the GHW Bush administration is the first since the Depression to have the miniscule marginal tax rates of ~30%.  Then up again with Clinton, to ~40%.  Then down, down, down, although never to the nadir of GHW.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

Quote from: Valmy on December 16, 2011, 10:22:07 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 16, 2011, 10:17:49 AM

QuoteI expect a lot of that demand was being met by corporations.

Yes and they would find people to manage these corporations how?  Did executives and managers enjoy working for free in the 1950s?  They would not find loopholes for their taxes at all and just pony up 70% or 80% of it?

That's not what marginal rate means, Val.  At absolute worst, it represents a salary cap.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Ideologue on December 16, 2011, 12:05:13 PM
JFK and LBJ (or Congress under JFK and LBJ) moved it from ~90% to ~70%, but it dropped slower until Reagan, when it fell to ~50%.  Evidently, the GHW Bush administration is the first since the Depression to have the miniscule marginal tax rates of ~30%.  Then up again with Clinton, to ~40%.  Then down, down, down, although never to the nadir of GHW.

You sure?  I thought JFK dropped it a buttload.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?