Census: Half of Americans Are Poor or Low-Income

Started by Capetan Mihali, December 15, 2011, 05:03:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

It is very bad for the entire economy, disastrous even, to have so many people with such limited disposable income.  I wonder if there is anything to be done about it  :hmm:

I find it very disconcerting that as our wages and thus labor costs go down employment is not picking up because of the cheaper costs.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 15, 2011, 08:40:06 PM
We are all together now Raz.  We are the 75%! Tax the upper middle class and the millionaires!

Are people really serious about this as a solution?  Already the rich find ways to pay low taxes.  And further, since money is international, wouldn't high taxes on the richest just encourage them to take their capital someplace else?  I mean even more than they already do?  This is why the middle class is such an important source of public money and hey they are decreasing.  Bad news for the cash starved state and municipal governments.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Habbaku on December 15, 2011, 11:51:16 PM
Quote from: DontSayBanana on December 15, 2011, 11:41:56 PM
Well, there's a ~$12,000 difference, right there, just from the housing.  And our healthcare is notorious. ;)

The average housing cost in the USA is nowhere near $1,000/month.

For a house.  I should have been clearer about that.  I'm also in a bad spot to judge because the area where I live is actually more expensive than Center City in Philadelphia right now.
Experience bij!

Habbaku

If you're comparing "a house" to "housing" you're still comparing apples to oranges, especially as "housing" in Hong Kong is not exactly something that you get a lot of return on your money.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

DontSayBanana

Nah, you guys are right.  This is why I shouldn't try to score any points when I'm half-asleep. :P
Experience bij!

The Brain

Quote from: Razgovory on December 15, 2011, 05:35:11 PM

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I wish that people would stop giving money to the gypsy beggar gangs. Sure they don't really bother me when they sit silently in the cold but you have to be a moron to believe that giving them money is a good deed.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Richard Hakluyt

These arbitrary "a family of four needs x amount" are somewhat self-defeating in my view. The figure is often disturbingly large and also obscures some of the issues.

A campaigning group in the UK (I forget which), for example, recently revealed that for a family of 4 in the UK poverty occurred at household income after tax of £600-and-odd per week or below  :hmm:

I was confused, we spend only slightly more than that and, essentially, if we want something we buy it. But, OTOH, our house is paid off, we live in the North and only one of us works so there are no childcare expenses. Compare this to a hypothetical family living in London, paying rent to a private sector landlord and in receipt of two lowish incomes. For a place the size of ours they would have to pay about £1500 rent and childcare could easily eat up most of the rest of their "poverty" wages. So the "poverty" level can easily include people who are actually well-off as well as people who are genuinely struggling  :hmm:

Razgovory

QuoteThe average housing cost in the USA is nowhere near $1,000/month.

True, I think it's a quite a bit higher.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ideologue

Quote from: Valmy on December 16, 2011, 12:17:54 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 15, 2011, 08:40:06 PM
We are all together now Raz.  We are the 75%! Tax the upper middle class and the millionaires!

Are people really serious about this as a solution?  Already the rich find ways to pay low taxes.  And further, since money is international, wouldn't high taxes on the richest just encourage them to take their capital someplace else?  I mean even more than they already do?  This is why the middle class is such an important source of public money and hey they are decreasing.  Bad news for the cash starved state and municipal governments.

I can think of various ways to encourage Americans not to engage in capital flight.

Also, did that happen a lot in the period 1940-1980?  Because high marginal rates were a feature of American life for nearly half a century, yet our population of rich people grew along with our middle class and economy as a whole.  It was pretty sweet to hear people tell it. :mellow:
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Valmy

Quote from: Ideologue on December 16, 2011, 05:22:40 AM
Also, did that happen a lot in the period 1940-1980?  Because high marginal rates were a feature of American life for nearly half a century, yet our population of rich people grew along with our middle class and economy as a whole.  It was pretty sweet to hear people tell it. :mellow:

Ok two points:

1. The world was a much different place 1940-1980.  Particularly the 1940-1960 part.

2. They generally avoided paying those taxes through tax breaks and incentives.  The tax code was actually set up in a way that encouraged them to do certain things, like be landlords for instance, rather than actually raised revenue through the high tax rates.  At least that was my understanding.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Ideologue on December 16, 2011, 05:22:40 AM

JFK is the one who dropped the confiscatory war time top rates.

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 16, 2011, 09:39:50 AM

Were rich people really paying rates that high in the 50s?

Admiral Yi

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 16, 2011, 09:44:10 AM
Yes.  70? 80?

I am amazed by that.  I mean I know what the technical tax rate was but it is pretty remarkable that actually worked as designed.

Especially when you consider the rather amazing extent of black market shenanigans going on with wartime rationing that people would be so eager to sacrifice almost their entire income in a time of peace.

Josephus

Quote from: Valmy on December 16, 2011, 09:42:17 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 16, 2011, 09:39:50 AM

Were rich people really paying rates that high in the 50s?

Yes. Tea-partiests who pine for the good old days forget this.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011