Long Term Friendships With Those Of Your Sexual Preference ?

Started by mongers, December 14, 2011, 04:31:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stjaba

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on December 15, 2011, 07:53:31 AM
Quote from: Ideologue on December 15, 2011, 07:39:42 AMLaw school: like an MRS degree for fags?

Now that you mention it, I don't know a single single gay man at law school.  :hmm:  And what has Faeelin been up to?...

I think he was looking for a clerkship.

I know plenty of law school gays, both male and female. I would figure the percentage of gays would be higher in the Ivy  League...  :hmm:

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Caliga

Caliga

Quote from: Valmy on December 15, 2011, 10:58:05 AM
Yep.  My experience exactly.  I mean except I have about equal numbers of male and female friends.
I probably break 90% male/10% female.  I have nothing in common with most women so don't see any basis on which to form a friendship with one.  I don't understand the female creature. :blush:

Ideologue

Quote from: stjaba on December 15, 2011, 01:09:34 PM
Quote from: Capetan Mihali on December 15, 2011, 07:53:31 AM
Quote from: Ideologue on December 15, 2011, 07:39:42 AMLaw school: like an MRS degree for fags?

Now that you mention it, I don't know a single single gay man at law school.  :hmm:  And what has Faeelin been up to?...

I think he was looking for a clerkship.

I know plenty of law school gays, both male and female. I would figure the percentage of gays would be higher in the Ivy  League...  :hmm:

Round here I think a lot stay closeted.  My buddy said there were others he believed were gay but were not out.  He's probably right--I mean, statistically, he'd almost have to be.  But I know my buddy stayed closeted.  Sort of, anyway--he took solace in that he "never denied it."  Yeah, because the dean isn't coming around and taking a survey.  He never mentioned his relationships, and he even kept it from his roommate (another student, apparently a pretty right-wing little punk), which I imagine involved sitcom-style deceptions.

So it isn't lying of course, but it does count as a concealment of one's true nature, which is no good for anybody and only perpetuates social marginalization of homosexuals.  I was the only fellow student he told while in school (although I already knew because I am smart).

It was always fun to be self-righteous about an issue that didn't directly affect me too. :punk:

Quote from: CaligaSame advice to you. :)

:yes:
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Valmy

Quote from: Caliga on December 15, 2011, 01:19:25 PM
I probably break 90% male/10% female.  I have nothing in common with most women so don't see any basis on which to form a friendship with one.  I don't understand the female creature. :blush:

With my male friends we tend to discuss interests.  It can get so ridiculous I can get together with a friend of mine I haven't talked to for a year and we can babble for hours and have a great time.  Then I get home and my wife is all 'oh you saw him?  How is his family and his job going?' and I suddenly remember we spent those hours talking about sports and movies and whatever and never actually brought up anything about how our lives are going.

With my female friends we tend to discuss those very things: our relationships and our lives and so forth.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Brain

I love how two guys can be good friends and still don't know/care about the other's personal life.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Caliga

Something actually happened to me this morning that reminded me about this thread. :)

I was at Midway getting ready to fly home with a bunch of peeps from my company, and got to talking to one of my female co-workers about flying and she confessed that she's terrified to fly.  So I spent most of the time in the terminal talking to her, trying to calm her fears, etc.  Shortly before boarding she said "will you sit next to me and if there's turbulence can I 'hang on to you'?"

CAL'S BRAIN:

DECISION TREE

Sit next to female co-worker on plane and risk physical contact.

VISUAL CHECK: CHEST SIZE

If small, then say "Sure, no problem."

If big, then rapidly think up some lame excuse and hope it flies.

Unfortunately, the visual check returned a response of "big approaching huge" so I pointed out that I had a very high boarding number much higher than hers, but I said I'd 'save her a seat next to the window seat I'm going to grab'.  She seemed to buy that, and when I sat down I had my fingers crossed that someone else would sit down next to me, and luckily a grumpy looking old guy in a business suit did. :cool:

I forgot to check on her after the flight (which was turbulent) and I feel like a total jerk now though. :(

Lettow77

I have a good friend of mine who is female- I think she's quite pretty, but I have no interest in her that way. I always have trouble relating when men declare it as a universal truth that its impossible to be friends with women without having sexual interest in them.

A more likely argument to my mind would be it is difficult to be friends with women because their interests and pursuits are so different, and i'm a raging misogynist who will go on a rant about disenfranchisement and the decline of the west at some point. If the lady is immune to that, we're cool.

I think growing up on the internet and doing most communication via typing helps. I can never completely shake the suspicion this isn't just because I don't feel very strong sexual urges compared to most people, though- perhaps that would make it quite different.

TL;DR: either gender can be your friend, but women are dumb lol
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

Caliga

Honestly, I think part of it for me is that I only have a brother (no sisters), and my dad is basically as masculine as is humanly possible with his interests, which are basically limited to investing, fishing, woodworking, and auto racing.

mongers

Quote from: Caliga on December 15, 2011, 01:33:17 PM

I forgot to check on her after the flight (which was turbulent) and I feel like a total jerk now though. :(

I wouldn't go that far, maybe you missed out a lengthy chat with someone who turned out to be a really great person ?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

mongers

Quote from: Lettow77 on December 15, 2011, 01:42:55 PM

TL;DR: either gender can be your friend, but women are dumb lol

Oh dear, Languish appears to have rubbed off on Lettow. And the boy had such promise.  :(
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Caliga

Quote from: mongers on December 15, 2011, 02:10:04 PM
I wouldn't go that far, maybe you missed out a lengthy chat with someone who turned out to be a really great person ?
Possible, but it's not like I just met her or will never see her again. :hmm:

Valmy

Quote from: Caliga on December 15, 2011, 02:14:09 PM
Possible, but it's not like I just met her or will never see her again. :hmm:

You would have been too mesmerized by her ample boobage to hear anything she said anyway.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Ideologue

There was a chick with giant boobs (and a surprisingly tiny ass :hmm: ) at the interview I was at yesterday.  But the face?  If she was 45, I give her a passing grade ('cause seriously that ass was fantastic).  But the tattoos suggest younger + drugs. :(
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)