News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Maximizing Shareholder Value: A Dumb Idea

Started by Jacob, December 14, 2011, 01:35:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

That was actually aimed at someone else, but the quote function keeps acting up on me.  Unfortunately I don't remember who it was aimed at.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

fhdz

Quote from: viper37 on December 15, 2011, 11:08:42 AM
Social sciences doesn't even try to rely on math models to predict the outcome of a given policy, or to explain any social movement.  It's just based on feeling.

That's false.
and the horse you rode in on

The Brain

Quote from: fahdiz on December 16, 2011, 02:01:58 AM
Social sciences doesn't even try to rely on math models to predict the outcome of a given policy, or to explain any social movement.  It's just based on feeling.

That's false.

Tell us how you really feel.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Razgovory

That's false.

That's who that "are you sure about that" was aimed at.  Thanks.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

CountDeMoney

That's false.

Yeah, viper sorta swung and missed on that one.  Kinda like saying chemistry isn't based on science.

The Brain

Chemistry appeals to women because it resembles cooking.

viper37

Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 16, 2011, 09:02:08 AM

That's false.

Yeah, viper sorta swung and missed on that one.  Kinda like saying chemistry isn't based on science.
It's a well documented fact, at least here, that social science refrain from using mathematical models, and that is one their weakness.

I may have generalized, but it is a problem in this field.  While finance&economy have fields (econometry, financial engineering) specifically for this, you won't find an equivalent in social science.  They don't even require math beyond high school (no calculus, no stats) to be accepted in a social science field of study.  That they eventually learn to do a simple linear regression, I understand, but we're very far from finance&economy in there.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: viper37 on December 16, 2011, 10:36:49 AM

That's false.

It's a well documented fact, at least here, that social science refrain from using mathematical models, and that is one their weakness.

I may have generalized, but it is a problem in this field.  While finance&economy have fields (econometry, financial engineering) specifically for this, you won't find an equivalent in social science.  They don't even require math beyond high school (no calculus, no stats) to be accepted in a social science field of study.  That they eventually learn to do a simple linear regression, I understand, but we're very far from finance&economy in there.

Because God knows what a great job financial engineering and econometrics are doing for us with all their mathematical modeling.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

viper37

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on December 16, 2011, 10:52:56 AM
Because God knows what a great job financial engineering and econometrics are doing for us with all their mathematical modeling.
it ain't a guarantee of success.  It ain't good or bad.  It's a truth, simple.  Physics uses lots of maths, doesn't mean they never make mistakes and know everything.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Jacob

Hey Viper, check this out: http://www.journals.elsevier.com/mathematical-social-sciences/

(first hit on google, by the way)

Jacob

Ideologue

That's false.

Well, then there's a whole world of opportunity for me in the social sciences.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

grumbler

I don't know where "here" is to you (I presume it is a university), but I also note that you completely fail to provide any evidence for what you believe is "widely known" there. 

I also don't think you know what social sciences are, nor how they are performed anywhere but wherever "here" is, to you.

"They don't even require math beyond high school (no calculus, no stats) to be accepted in a social science field of study" is like saying that medicine doesn't use mathematical models because not every doctor is required to have taken calculus and stats to get accepted to medial school.  I trust that you do know that some studies of medicine do use mathematical models, all doctors not being qualified to do the math notwithstanding?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

garbon

That's false.

:huh:

I was required to take stats in order to get my degree in psychology.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Brain