And we're back!

Main Menu

Maximizing Shareholder Value: A Dumb Idea

Started by Jacob, December 14, 2011, 01:35:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

Quote from: grumbler on December 16, 2011, 12:35:36 PM
Quote from: viper37 on December 16, 2011, 10:36:49 AM
It's a well documented fact, at least here, that social science refrain from using mathematical models, and that is one their weakness.

I may have generalized, but it is a problem in this field.  While finance&economy have fields (econometry, financial engineering) specifically for this, you won't find an equivalent in social science.  They don't even require math beyond high school (no calculus, no stats) to be accepted in a social science field of study.  That they eventually learn to do a simple linear regression, I understand, but we're very far from finance&economy in there.

I don't know where "here" is to you (I presume it is a university), but I also note that you completely fail to provide any evidence for what you believe is "widely known" there. 

I also don't think you know what social sciences are, nor how they are performed anywhere but wherever "here" is, to you.

"They don't even require math beyond high school (no calculus, no stats) to be accepted in a social science field of study" is like saying that medicine doesn't use mathematical models because not every doctor is required to have taken calculus and stats to get accepted to medial school.  I trust that you do know that some studies of medicine do use mathematical models, all doctors not being qualified to do the math notwithstanding?
Speaking of doctors and math, doctors are notoriously terrible at math, including relatively basic probabilistic math that they really should know.  Give them a classic question about applying a test with 5% error rate, that tests for disease 2% of people have, and many will answer that 95% of those tested positive actually have the disease (instead of the actual answer of 28%).

DGuller

Admiral Yi

Quote from: The Brain on December 16, 2011, 12:41:04 PM
Math doesn't make science.

Econometrics makes science because it provides a way of disproving theories.

Iormlund

We don't need econometrics for that.

I can see plenty of people rummaging though garbage bins these days looking for food. That is proof enough for me to believe economists are the modern equivalent of augurs.

Ideologue

Some economists are pretty keen.  Paul Krugman. :wub:
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

MadImmortalMan

I should start ripping the guts out of pigeons to decide my stock trades.  :P
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Valmy

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on December 16, 2011, 01:47:20 PM

I prefer to consult the sacred chickens.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Malthus

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on December 16, 2011, 01:47:20 PM

Heh the old ways are best.  :D

Reminds me of our firm's Xmas party: some woman I have no interest in struck up a conversation with me, asking if I believed in astrology and what was my sign?

I was momentarily dumbfounded by the tackiness of the come-on, but I struck back that, while I did not believe in astrology, I did believe in hepatomancy. When asked "what is that?" I provided a detailed description, which had the desired effect - she went away.  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Iormlund on December 16, 2011, 01:45:38 PM
We don't need econometrics for that.

I can see plenty of people rummaging though garbage bins these days looking for food. That is proof enough for me to believe economists are the modern equivalent of augurs.

How else can you disprove a social science theory?

Iormlund

It's social science. It doesn't need disproving.

Razgovory

Quote from: viper37 on December 16, 2011, 10:36:49 AM

It's a well documented fact, at least here, that social science refrain from using mathematical models, and that is one their weakness.

I may have generalized, but it is a problem in this field.  While finance&economy have fields (econometry, financial engineering) specifically for this, you won't find an equivalent in social science.  They don't even require math beyond high school (no calculus, no stats) to be accepted in a social science field of study.  That they eventually learn to do a simple linear regression, I understand, but we're very far from finance&economy in there.

Please provide the documents.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!