News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Tim's All Important GOP Endorsement!

Started by jimmy olsen, December 14, 2011, 12:05:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

I believe Obama's exit strategy from Afghanistan is based on Tim making a credible endorsement of the Taliban at a critical point in the withdrawal timetable. 
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Eddie Teach

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on December 14, 2011, 03:41:34 PM
Tim, can you do me a favor and endorse LSU in the title game? Thx

Do you have money on the Tide?

They should have taken OK St so people would care who won.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Faeelin on December 14, 2011, 08:45:36 AM
It must  bother you a lot Tim, that space flight is so useless and uneconomical.
Neither of those things is true so I'm not bothered at all. :)
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Faeelin

Quote from: jimmy olsen on December 14, 2011, 07:07:13 PM
It must  bother you a lot Tim, that space flight is so useless and uneconomical.

Is it? For 40 years now we'eve been puttering around in low earth orbit, with no plans to send astronauts to Mars.

Looks like the stars are not for man.

Razgovory

There's just not a lot of money to be made in space.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Faeelin on December 15, 2011, 10:35:55 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on December 14, 2011, 07:07:13 PM

Is it? For 40 years now we'eve been puttering around in low earth orbit, with no plans to send astronauts to Mars.

Looks like the stars are not for man.
That's do strictly to foolish decisions made by the federal government.

There's been massive private investment in Space in the last ten years and their efforts to bring down launch costs are coming to fruition.

Raz, there's more wealth in the belt than man can possibly comprehend.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Neil

Even if you get launch costs down, there's still travel costs, not to mention the lawsuits when people die in space.  And they will die, make no mistake.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Eddie Teach

If we can go somewhere, we will. It's human nature. I fully expect there to be a colony on Mars within 500 years.

Habbaku

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on December 15, 2011, 11:16:39 PM
If we can go somewhere, we will. It's human nature. I fully expect there to be a colony on Mars within 500 years.

I think this is true to a good extent.  If nothing, there will be social malcontents that want to go, along with the people that want to explore something to explore something.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Neil

Nah.  The technology exists to go to Mars right now.  People would rather be comfortable.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Faeelin

Why would people do this? Nobody's rushing to colonize Antarctica or the Gobi Desert.

Faeelin

Quote from: jimmy olsen on December 15, 2011, 10:48:28 PM
There's been massive private investment in Space in the last ten years and their efforts to bring down launch costs are coming to fruition.

Coming to fruition how? Where's the major infrastructure in space?

Sure, cheaper unmanned satellites. Beyond that?

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Neil on December 16, 2011, 12:01:31 AM
Nah.  The technology exists to go to Mars right now.  People would rather be comfortable.

The technology is too expensive now. Presumably there's a lot more advances to be made and eventually it could be some billionaire's vanity project.

Ideologue

Quote from: Neil on December 15, 2011, 11:09:40 PM
Even if you get launch costs down, there's still travel costs, not to mention the lawsuits when people die in space.  And they will die, make no mistake.

Somehow I think that the mere act of going into the most adverse environment imaginable on top of a stack of explosions qualifies as "assumption of risk."
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Razgovory

Quote from: jimmy olsen on December 15, 2011, 10:48:28 PM
That's do strictly to foolish decisions made by the federal government.

On asteroids?  C'mon, we've been over this.  We have carbon and iron right here on earth.  And it's a hell of lot easier to get.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017