News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Feds say Arpaio violated civil rights

Started by garbon, December 15, 2011, 04:30:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zoupa

Can anyone explain the artillery? how does that pass budget?

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

KRonn

Razgovory

It's a self propelled gun.  Not a tank.   :mad:

Seriously though, I have no idea where he got it.  I know the Feds and some police departments have bought army surplus vehicles, but usually those are like M113s or something.  Even those are excessive, unless you plan to apprehend a suspect over broken terrain and trenchs.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Habbaku

Quote from: Razgovory on December 15, 2011, 09:44:11 PM
I know the Feds and some police departments have bought army surplus vehicles, but usually those are like M113s or something.  Even those are excessive, unless you plan to apprehend a suspect over broken terrain and trenchs.

Unfortunately, this isn't a trend I see decreasing.  Indeed, this year saw a record for military-surplus transfers to police departments nationwide :

http://ceinquiry.us/2011-12-05-leso-record
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Razgovory

I can see an armored car or wheeled APC for some extreme circumstances (though they are rare).  Tracked vehicles are expensive to operate.  They eat up parts and gas at an astonishing rate.  They also require special driver training.  Using a SPA piece to break up a suspect cockfighting ring is wasteful.  Unless there are some really big cocks in there.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Razgovory on December 15, 2011, 10:32:37 PM
I can see an armored car or wheeled APC for some extreme circumstances (though they are rare).  Tracked vehicles are expensive to operate.  They eat up parts and gas at an astonishing rate.  They also require special driver training.  Using a SPA piece to break up a suspect cockfighting ring is wasteful.  Unless there are some really big cocks in there.

Automatic weapons, too.  I dunno about your neck of the woods, but medium- and high-level drug operators around here tend to be pretty well-armed.
Experience bij!

Neil

Being armed in such a way as to take on the Army is their constitutional right.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Neil on December 15, 2011, 11:19:21 PM
Being armed in such a way as to take on the Army is their constitutional right.

I believe Arpaio's line of reasoning is that it's a citizen's right, and these people aren't citizens.
Experience bij!

Sheilbh

Quote from: Habbaku on December 15, 2011, 10:07:13 PM
Unfortunately, this isn't a trend I see decreasing.  Indeed, this year saw a record for military-surplus transfers to police departments nationwide :

http://ceinquiry.us/2011-12-05-leso-record
:bleeding:  They're not paramilitary or occupying forces :bleeding:
Let's bomb Russia!

Valmy

Crazy power-hungry attention whore guy doesn't care about doing the unglamorous parts of his job like minding civil rights?  Shocking.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: Habbaku on December 15, 2011, 10:07:13 PM

And here we find out why police departments nationwide are so broke.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."