News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Canada formally withdraws from Kyoto Protocol

Started by citizen k, December 13, 2011, 01:47:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

citizen k

Canada first nation to pull out of Kyoto protocol

OTTAWA (Reuters) - Canada on Monday became the first country to announce it would withdraw from the Kyoto protocol on climate change, dealing a symbolic blow to the already troubled global treaty.

Environment Minister Peter Kent broke the news on his return from talks in Durban, where countries agreed to extend Kyoto for five years and hammer out a new deal forcing all big polluters for the first time to limit greenhouse gas emissions.

Canada, a major energy producer which critics complain is becoming a climate renegade, has long complained Kyoto is unworkable precisely because it excludes so many significant emitters.

"As we've said, Kyoto for Canada is in the past ... We are invoking our legal right to formally withdraw from Kyoto," Kent told reporters.

The right-of-center Conservative government of Prime Minister Stephen Harper, which has close ties to the energy sector, says Canada would be subject to penalties equivalent to C$14 billion ($13.6 billion) under the terms of the treaty for not cutting emissions by the required amount by 2012.

"To meet the targets under Kyoto for 2012 would be the equivalent of either removing every car truck, all-terrain vehicle, tractor, ambulance, police car and vehicle off every kind of Canadian road," said Kent.

Environmentalists quickly blasted Kent for his comments.

"It's a national disgrace. Prime Minister Harper just spat in the faces of people around the world for whom climate change is increasingly a life and death issue," said Graham Saul of Climate Action Network Canada.

Kent did not give details on when Ottawa would pull out of a treaty he said could not work. Canada kept quiet during the Durban talks so as not to be a distraction, he added.

"The writing on the wall for Kyoto has been recognized by even those countries which are engaging in a second commitment," he said. Kyoto's first phase was due to expire at the end of 2012 but has now been extended until 2017.

Kent said Canada would work toward a new global deal obliging all major nations to cut output of greenhouse gases China and India are not bound by Kyoto's current targets.

The Conservatives took power in 2006 and quickly made clear they would not stick to Canada's Kyoto commitments on the grounds it would cripple the economy and the energy sector.

The announcement will do little to help Canada's international reputation. Green groups awarded the country their Fossil of the Year award for its performance in Durban.

"Our government is abdicating its international responsibilities. It's like where the kid in school who knows he's going to fail the class, so he drops it before that happens," said Megan Leslie of the opposition New Democrats.

Canada is the largest supplier of oil and natural gas to the United States and is keen to boost output of crude from Alberta's oil sands, which requires large amounts of energy to extract.

The Canadian Association of Petroleum Producers (CAPP) said all major emitters had to agree to cuts so that Canada did not put itself at a disadvantage.

Canada's former Liberal government signed up to Kyoto, which dictated a cut in emissions to 6 percent below 1990 levels by 2012. By 2009 emissions were 17 percent above the 1990 levels, in part because of the expanding tar sands development.

Kent said the Liberals should not have signed up to a treaty they had no intention of respecting.

The Conservatives say emissions should fall by 17 percent of 2005 levels by 2020, a target that CAPP president David Collyer said would oblige the energy sector to make sacrifices.

"It's a stretch and we'd be kidding ourselves if we said it wasn't," he told Reuters.

($1 = 1.03 Canadian dollars)

(Additional reporting by Louise Egan in Ottawa and Jeffrey Jones in Calgary; editing by Christopher Wilson)

Drakken

Yes, I'm not sure whether we should be laughing or crying. Kyoto seemed a dead treaty anyway. :mellow:

Admiral Yi

Anyone know who gets the fines/what they're used for?

Neil

I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Josephus

Feel so sorry for all of you with little children. The future is so bleak. :(
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Valmy

Quote from: Josephus on December 13, 2011, 02:17:46 PM

I have faith: in science!
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

viper37

Quote from: Valmy on December 13, 2011, 02:19:02 PM
I have faith: in science!
Half the world doesn't believe in science, so they're unlikely to support it.  It's not like scientific breakthrough happen with some dude teaching college physics and working at home on his spare time.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Josephus on December 13, 2011, 02:17:46 PM

Bleak? It's just going to be different.

Did we really need to withdraw from it? Who's going to make us pay the fines anyway?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Barrister

Thank goodness Canada was finally willing to point out that the Kyoto Accord was wearing no clothes.

There was an error in the article though - it was the previous Mulroney PC government who signed on to the Kyoto Accord, although it was the Liberals who finally ratified it.  But then Mulroney, and 13 years of Liberal governments, did absolutely nothing to actually reduce carbon emissions.  By the time Harper came into power it was already impossible to meet our Kyoto targets.

And if I recall correctly, due to the US not ratifying, and the developing world not having any restrictions put on it, Canada was one of the only countries in the world that would actually be required to make any cuts whatsoever.  Europe was saved because 1990 nicely co-incided with the collapse of communism and they were able to just close down a bunch of highly inefficient eastern european factories.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

The Larch

Quote from: Barrister on December 13, 2011, 03:42:47 PMAnd if I recall correctly, due to the US not ratifying, and the developing world not having any restrictions put on it, Canada was one of the only countries in the world that would actually be required to make any cuts whatsoever.  Europe was saved because 1990 nicely co-incided with the collapse of communism and they were able to just close down a bunch of highly inefficient eastern european factories.

Where's this country called Europe, pray tell? I only know about a continent with that name.

Barrister

Quote from: The Larch on December 13, 2011, 03:54:43 PM
Quote from: Barrister on December 13, 2011, 03:42:47 PMAnd if I recall correctly, due to the US not ratifying, and the developing world not having any restrictions put on it, Canada was one of the only countries in the world that would actually be required to make any cuts whatsoever.  Europe was saved because 1990 nicely co-incided with the collapse of communism and they were able to just close down a bunch of highly inefficient eastern european factories.

Where's this country called Europe, pray tell? I only know about a continent with that name.

:rolleyes:

So tell me - has any European country done anything of substance to reduce greenhouse emissions, or are they just using credits from eastern europe?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Capetan Mihali

Time to add a little more green to the map...   :mad:
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

The Larch

Quote from: Barrister on December 13, 2011, 04:01:38 PM
Quote from: The Larch on December 13, 2011, 03:54:43 PM

:rolleyes:

So tell me - has any European country done anything of substance to reduce greenhouse emissions, or are they just using credits from eastern europe?

All those windmills they've been installing all over Spain in the last couple of decades must be there just so people can tilt at them, then.

Eddie Teach

Somalia's not green on the map? I guess they don't consider it a state at all.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?