Main Menu

Canada formally withdraws from Kyoto Protocol

Started by citizen k, December 13, 2011, 01:47:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: The Larch on December 13, 2011, 04:10:15 PM
Quote from: Barrister on December 13, 2011, 04:01:38 PM
Quote from: The Larch on December 13, 2011, 03:54:43 PM
Quote from: Barrister on December 13, 2011, 03:42:47 PMAnd if I recall correctly, due to the US not ratifying, and the developing world not having any restrictions put on it, Canada was one of the only countries in the world that would actually be required to make any cuts whatsoever.  Europe was saved because 1990 nicely co-incided with the collapse of communism and they were able to just close down a bunch of highly inefficient eastern european factories.

Where's this country called Europe, pray tell? I only know about a continent with that name.

:rolleyes:

So tell me - has any European country done anything of substance to reduce greenhouse emissions, or are they just using credits from eastern europe?

All those windmills they've been installing all over Spain in the last couple of decades must be there just so people can tilt at them, then.

Seriuosly Larch - the more I keep reading, the more I see that despite the fact that Kyoto itself only has national targets, the EU has only talked about its overall target under Kyoto - which it set to meet.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Zanza

Quote from: Barrister on December 13, 2011, 04:01:38 PMSo tell me - has any European country done anything of substance to reduce greenhouse emissions, or are they just using credits from eastern europe?
Germany cut its carbon dioxide emissions by more than 20% since 1990 and it cut most of that after 1995 when most of the East German industry was already dismantled.

Barrister

Quote from: Zanza on December 13, 2011, 04:17:48 PM
Quote from: Barrister on December 13, 2011, 04:01:38 PMSo tell me - has any European country done anything of substance to reduce greenhouse emissions, or are they just using credits from eastern europe?
Germany cut its carbon dioxide emissions by more than 20% since 1990 and it cut most of that after 1995 when most of the East German industry was already dismantled.

Got any links?

What I've read is that Europe (to give credit where credit is due) is doing better at slowing the increase in CO2 emissions, but that the sizeable decrease was almost entirely due to eastern europe.

Valmy

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on December 13, 2011, 04:04:27 PM
Time to add a little more green to the map...   :mad:

I remember when it was the 'Terrorist Seven' (you know, because of all those Cuban Terrorists).  Now I guess it is the 'Terrorist Five'.

Actually it is the Terrorist Four now.  North Korea got removed but the Cubans have not stopped their regime of vile terrorism.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Zanza

Quote from: Barrister on December 13, 2011, 04:23:21 PMGot any links?

What I've read is that Europe (to give credit where credit is due) is doing better at slowing the increase in CO2 emissions, but that the sizeable decrease was almost entirely due to eastern europe.
Here is an article on Greenhouse gases in general from our environment agency:
http://www.umweltbundesamt.de/uba-info-presse-e/2011/pe11-020_greenhouse_gases_well_below_the_limit.htm

And here in the upper right corner is a graph on CO2 emissions:
http://www.umweltbundesamt-daten-zur-umwelt.de/umweltdaten/public/theme.do?nodeIdent=2541

EDIT:
Here is a United Nations source which allows you to compare e.g. per capita CO2 emissions from 1990 to 2010 for lots of countries. Canada stagnated, other countries considerably reduced their CO2 emissions per capita. But also lots of European countries that increased their per capita CO2 emissions... 
http://mdgs.un.org/unsd/mdg/Data.aspx

Barrister

Quote from: Zanza on December 13, 2011, 04:33:02 PM
Quote from: Barrister on December 13, 2011, 04:23:21 PMGot any links?

Here is an article on Greenhouse gases in general from our environment agency:
http://www.umweltbundesamt.de/uba-info-presse-e/2011/pe11-020_greenhouse_gases_well_below_the_limit.htm

And here in the upper right corner is a graph on CO2 emissions:
http://www.umweltbundesamt-daten-zur-umwelt.de/umweltdaten/public/theme.do?nodeIdent=2541

Okay, so the biggest declines were 1990-1995 from the chart, but still steady declines after that.

How did you manage that?

Zanza

We made CO2 emissions expensive, mainly by taxes on them, and subsidized energy-saving stuff, e.g. better isolation for houses, and renewable energy production.

The Larch

Quote from: Barrister on December 13, 2011, 04:13:38 PM
Quote from: The Larch on December 13, 2011, 04:10:15 PM
Quote from: The Larch on December 13, 2011, 03:54:43 PM
Quote from: Barrister on December 13, 2011, 03:42:47 PMAnd if I recall correctly, due to the US not ratifying, and the developing world not having any restrictions put on it, Canada was one of the only countries in the world that would actually be required to make any cuts whatsoever.  Europe was saved because 1990 nicely co-incided with the collapse of communism and they were able to just close down a bunch of highly inefficient eastern european factories.

Where's this country called Europe, pray tell? I only know about a continent with that name.

:rolleyes:

So tell me - has any European country done anything of substance to reduce greenhouse emissions, or are they just using credits from eastern europe?

All those windmills they've been installing all over Spain in the last couple of decades must be there just so people can tilt at them, then.

Seriuosly Larch - the more I keep reading, the more I see that despite the fact that Kyoto itself only has national targets, the EU has only talked about its overall target under Kyoto - which it set to meet.

The EU might have its own target, but individual countries have them as well. Spain, for instance, increased its emissions beyond its target.

I don't know where you read stuff about EU actions regarding climate change, here's the official website on that:

http://ec.europa.eu/clima/policies/brief/eu/index_en.htm

Zanza

Of the Western European countries, Sweden and UK seem to have reduced their emissions considerably too.

Razgovory

Looks like the Emissions rate went down mostly in former communist states.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Josephus

Quote from: Zanza on December 13, 2011, 04:41:48 PM
We made CO2 emissions expensive, mainly by taxes on them, and subsidized energy-saving stuff, e.g. better isolation for houses, and renewable energy production.

Alas, we're too conservative here to even consider such common sense solutions.  :(

That said, I don't necessarily disagree with the reason for Canada pulling out...that is, "fuck no one else is doing it, why should we?". That said, I think 20 years from now those still alive will be commenting on how we passed up an opportunity to do something whilst we still can. Cause 20 years from now it will be too late.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: Valmy on December 13, 2011, 04:26:25 PM
the Cubans have not stopped their regime of vile terrorism.

[derspiess] Damn right.   :mad:  [/derspiess]
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Sheilbh

The UK did a fair bit.  I think the former government actually set a target beyond the Kyoto minimum.  Not sure if we met that but meeting Kyoto was certainly taken seriously here.
Let's bomb Russia!

mongers

Quote from: Sheilbh on December 13, 2011, 05:56:57 PM

The UK did a fair bit.  I think the former government actually set a target beyond the Kyoto minimum.  Not sure if we met that but meeting Kyoto was certainly taken seriously here.

Most of this was accomplished by the move from coal to gas generated electricity, makes a hell of a difference, and by the off-shoring of much of our basic consumer goods.  All the rest was window dressing.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on December 13, 2011, 04:38:34 PM
How did you manage that?
they don't subsidize oil production, maybe?  Seriously, why give oil companies money (or tax breaks) when that money could be diverted to encourage clean energy research?  This is beyond me that a right-wing government would still be doing that.  The Liberals, I understand.  But the Cons?
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.