News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Fitness 2012

Started by Maladict, December 10, 2011, 09:35:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drakken

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 28, 2012, 09:35:20 PM
Also I think I need to start doing strength work.  I may have asked before but does anyone have a good guide.  I feel kind of aimless just being in the gym and using the machines for a bit with some arbitrary set weight and for some random figure.

This site should give you a heads-up: http://www.exrx.net/

I agree, going aimless at the gym doing random exercises and weights is a waste of time. You need a program, lasting 6-8 weeks, and a journal to keep tab on your progression.

mongers

Bumped for an answer to Shelf's question.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Josquius

the trouble with looking for good plans online is they're all pretty hardcore things based around free weights and all that.

I've really slackened off on the gym lately. I genuinely have had my time eaten by other concerns to a large extent, and much of that is exercisey, but still....I am teh suck.
██████
██████
██████

Drakken

Quote from: Tyr on December 05, 2012, 11:47:32 PM
the trouble with looking for good plans online is they're all pretty hardcore things based around free weights and all that.

I've really slackened off on the gym lately. I genuinely have had my time eaten by other concerns to a large extent, and much of that is exercisey, but still....I am teh suck.

How hardcore can it be? 2 body parts by day (if on three days), 2-3 exercises per body part, 3 sets of 6-10 reps per exercice, on the basis of progressive overload (if you can do one more than 10 reps on the last set you increase the weight). You don't need to do anything fancy, just change your program each 6-8 weeks (change sets and reps, change exercises, change the length of breaks between each, add supersets or dropsets, etc.).

Hell, if you really have not enough time do a full body routine twice a week only with the main compounds (bench press, deadlifts, squats, military presses, pull-ups/chin-ups, rows) and you'll be good to go. Starting Strength is just that : compounds, 3 to 5 sets, 5 reps. You go as heavy you can go while keeping good form and staying within the rep ranges you've set.

Don't base your program on what's in the muscle and fitness magazines, these are built around you training 5-6 days a week, which is only possible without overtraining if you use "supplements".

crazy canuck

What's a good non-impact, non-swimming exercise?

Also I think I need to start doing strength work.  I may have asked before but does anyone have a good guide.  I feel kind of aimless just being in the gym and using the machines for a bit with some arbitrary set weight and for some random figure.

Basically dont go to the gym.  Dont use machines.  Everything you need you already have.  Do squats, planks and pushups.  Do them in sets (20 squats, 1 minute of plank (more if you are able) 20 pushups - rest 20 seconds and repeat to exhaustion. ie your muscles cant do another one.

When that starts getting too easy then worry about a routine.

mongers

So time for a retrospective on Fitness 2012 ? 

I'm not doing much at the moment, one of my fitness targets was to cycling as far as this years Tour de France race, between the time it finished and Christmas Eve, looks like I'm gonna end up 150km short of the 3500 km total.   <_<

Eddie Teach

Tennis maybe.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Eddie Teach

Quote from: mongers on December 20, 2012, 03:23:28 PM

Doing better than I was a month ago, worse than I was a year ago.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

crazy canuck

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on December 21, 2012, 09:57:01 AM

Tennis maybe.

No, lots of fast change of direction if played properly.  Hard on the joints - especially for someone who is not fit.  Also lots of repetitive stroking  - but there are some here who will have significant stamina in that regard.

Josquius

Quote from: Drakken on December 06, 2012, 11:22:49 AM
Quote from: Tyr on December 05, 2012, 11:47:32 PM

How hardcore can it be? 2 body parts by day (if on three days), 2-3 exercises per body part, 3 sets of 6-10 reps per exercice, on the basis of progressive overload (if you can do one more than 10 reps on the last set you increase the weight). You don't need to do anything fancy, just change your program each 6-8 weeks (change sets and reps, change exercises, change the length of breaks between each, add supersets or dropsets, etc.).

Hell, if you really have not enough time do a full body routine twice a week only with the main compounds (bench press, deadlifts, squats, military presses, pull-ups/chin-ups, rows) and you'll be good to go. Starting Strength is just that : compounds, 3 to 5 sets, 5 reps. You go as heavy you can go while keeping good form and staying within the rep ranges you've set.

Don't base your program on what's in the muscle and fitness magazines, these are built around you training 5-6 days a week, which is only possible without overtraining if you use "supplements".
Thats still all free weight stuff though, I can't do that, I go alone mostly and even basic stuff is too hard core for me. I can only use the weight machines
██████
██████
██████

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Maladict

I'm not doing much at the moment, one of my fitness targets was to cycling as far as this years Tour de France race, between the time it finished and Christmas Eve, looks like I'm gonna end up 150km short of the 3500 km total.   <_<

3350km is pretty cool  :bowler:

2012 was a colossal failure, I really need to get it together next year. It's all about regular maintenance when you're on the wrong side of 30.

mongers

Quote from: Maladict on December 22, 2012, 03:36:15 PM

3350km is pretty cool  :bowler:

2012 was a colossal failure, I really need to get it together next year. It's all about regular maintenance when you're on the wrong side of 30.

Thanks, the best 20kms was cycling through all the flooding a couple of days ago. :cheers:

You're absolutely right about regular maintenance, if I go three days without exercise I literally start to fall apart, need some muscles and tone to stop this bag of bones collapsing in on itself.  :D

Sheilbh

Tennis maybe.
I love tennis. I'm pretty woeful but only played other people so it wasn't too bad. But yeah it's as bad as running for some things.

Some good ideas though.
Let's bomb Russia!

mongers

Quote from: Sheilbh on December 23, 2012, 03:17:16 PM

Tennis maybe.
I love tennis. I'm pretty woeful but only played other people so it wasn't too bad. But yeah it's as bad as running for some things.

Some good ideas though.

What about Badminton, smaller court so it involve less sudden stops and impacts and it's more of an aerobic exercise rather than one based on strenght. 

Plus can be played at most leisure centres year round.