Main Menu

Fitness 2012

Started by Maladict, December 10, 2011, 09:35:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

11B4V

Quote from: Brazen on June 21, 2012, 05:05:43 AM
Quote from: merithyn on June 19, 2012, 09:14:10 PM
Owowowowowowow! Strength training hurts!  :cry:

Small problem that I'm kinda' hoping someone can help with. I'm trying to work the ab machines to help with core muscle stuff, but even on zero weights, I can't work the two machines that use the lower ab muscles.  :blush:  What do I do to work on those muscles so that I can even use the machines?
Don't use those machines, ever. They encourage bad form and can give you bulging belly muscles and strain your back. Don't use resistance machines at all if you can avoid them, use free weights instead.

Wrong, sorry. Maybe if used incorrectly.

Why dont you want to use resistance machines???
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

mongers

Not doing much exercise at the moment, other than the usual utility cycling.

Though this evening, took the bus into my local conurbation, cycled along the 6 mile promenade, which had plenty of sand upon which to play and then up the relatively quite river valley to home; a modest 16-17 mile after 8pm.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

merithyn

Quote from: 11B4V on June 27, 2012, 08:03:15 PM
Don't use those machines, ever. They encourage bad form and can give you bulging belly muscles and strain your back. Don't use resistance machines at all if you can avoid them, use free weights instead.

:unsure:
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

11B4V

Quote from: merithyn on June 27, 2012, 09:11:20 PM

If you use them wrong..yes. 

If you use a kitchen knife wrong it can be bad for you. Been using machines, bands, bowflex, ellipitcals, free weights, rowing machines for a long time. I use them in combination with free weights You have to know how to use them and when to use them. To just say they are bad is horse crap.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

mongers

Damn 5% short of my 500 mile monthly target.  <_<

Iormlund

Quote from: Iormlund on June 27, 2012, 12:01:36 PM
Hospital called. I'm scheduled for a dilation of my scar in a week. If they don't find signs of inflammation and all goes well I'll be able to start eating veggies again and get off meds in a couple weeks.

Back from the hospital. Everything went fine. No signs of Crohn's down there. :yeah:
They were able to almost double the diameter of the scarred tissue. Will go back in a couple months to push further.

merithyn

Quote from: Iormlund on July 05, 2012, 07:38:10 AM
Quote from: Iormlund on June 27, 2012, 12:01:36 PM
Hospital called. I'm scheduled for a dilation of my scar in a week. If they don't find signs of inflammation and all goes well I'll be able to start eating veggies again and get off meds in a couple weeks.

Back from the hospital. Everything went fine. No signs of Crohn's down there. :yeah:
They were able to almost double the diameter of the scarred tissue. Will go back in a couple months to push further.

AWESOME!! :hug:

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: merithyn on June 27, 2012, 09:11:20 PM

They can isolate specific muscles too effectively, leaving the others underdeveloped that should be working in tandem. Free weight lifts are more "natural" movements, and work the small in-between muscles too. That's my understanding anyway.

80% of my pants no longer fit me. I had to go shopping this weekend.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

merithyn

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on July 05, 2012, 11:48:11 AM
They can isolate specific muscles too effectively, leaving the others underdeveloped that should be working in tandem. Free weight lifts are more "natural" movements, and work the small in-between muscles too. That's my understanding anyway.

80% of my pants no longer fit me. I had to go shopping this weekend.

The smiley was on why he asked the question when Brazen had already answered it, per the bolded, underlined quote.

Drakken

In other words, machines use mechanics, like torsion and pulleys, to help the lifter lift the weight while working solely the targeted muscles. Free weights, well, don't. Thus the latter work stabilizers as much as the primary and secondary muscles being worked.

I wouldn't go as far as to ban resistance machines, they do serve a purpose, if only for variation. But I would use them for isolation only, and focus more on free weights to do both compounds (presses, squats, rows, etc.) and isolation exercises.

And no, machines do not encourage bad form - too heavy weights, ego, and inexperience encourage bad form.

mongers

Cycled 30 miles in the heavy rain a couple of day ago, which was fun, good exercise.

merithyn

This heat is sapping my energy. Walking half as much as usual outside, and only managing half as much weight training after I walk to the gym in the heat. Mostly, I just want to curl up and sleep. How long until the heat wave breaks??  :wacko:

mongers

Quote from: merithyn on July 05, 2012, 10:37:40 PM
This heat is sapping my energy. Walking half as much as usual outside, and only managing half as much weight training after I walk to the gym in the heat. Mostly, I just want to curl up and sleep. How long until the heat wave breaks??  :wacko:

merithyn

Or... last night. :D

My exercise routine has been derailed by a foot injury. Damn jump rope.  <_<

Anyway, I'll still be doing upper body and ab work, just staying off the tootsies for the next week or so unless absolutely necessary. This is going to be fun....  :mellow:

11B4V

Quote from: Drakken on July 05, 2012, 12:45:49 PM

I wouldn't go as far as to ban resistance machines, they do serve a purpose, if only for variation. But I would use them for isolation only, and focus more on free weights to do both compounds (presses, squats, rows, etc.) and isolation exercises.

And no, machines do not encourage bad form - too heavy weights, ego, and inexperience encourage bad form.

:thumbsup: