And we're back!

Main Menu

Fitness 2012

Started by Maladict, December 10, 2011, 09:35:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brazen

Quote from: merithyn on June 19, 2012, 09:14:10 PM
Owowowowowowow! Strength training hurts!  :cry:

Small problem that I'm kinda' hoping someone can help with. I'm trying to work the ab machines to help with core muscle stuff, but even on zero weights, I can't work the two machines that use the lower ab muscles.  :blush:  What do I do to work on those muscles so that I can even use the machines?
Don't use those machines, ever. They encourage bad form and can give you bulging belly muscles and strain your back. Don't use resistance machines at all if you can avoid them, use free weights instead.

In fact you can get away without doing any kind of ab-specific exercise with a good full-body weight-training routine. But if you want to feel your core burn do planks and side planks. If you want to look flash do prone jack-knives on the exercise ball. For standing exercises, try cable (or dumbbell) wood-chops. If you have access to kettelebells, do single-arm swings.

Still not convinced and want to do traditional ab exercises? Bicycles engage more of the abdominals and obliques than other lying down exercises.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqoD0Bdggto

Brazen

For lower-ab specific, look to leg-lowers. Lie on your back with your feet straight up in the air and legs straight. Engages your core, push your spine towards the floor and slowly lower your legs until they're an inch off the floor (or until your back starts to peel off from the floor and you lose form).

If that's too hard, lie on your back with bent legs and slowly extend one leg at a time until it's straight and hovering an inch above the floor then draw it back.

Sheilbh

Gave in and finally joined my local gym.  Their deal for students is just about affordable.
Let's bomb Russia!

merithyn

Quote from: Brazen on June 21, 2012, 05:05:43 AM
Don't use those machines, ever. They encourage bad form and can give you bulging belly muscles and strain your back. Don't use resistance machines at all if you can avoid them, use free weights instead.

In fact you can get away without doing any kind of ab-specific exercise with a good full-body weight-training routine. But if you want to feel your core burn do planks and side planks. If you want to look flash do prone jack-knives on the exercise ball. For standing exercises, try cable (or dumbbell) wood-chops. If you have access to kettelebells, do single-arm swings.

Still not convinced and want to do traditional ab exercises? Bicycles engage more of the abdominals and obliques than other lying down exercises.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqoD0Bdggto

First, I didn't understand 90% of what you said.

Second, my core isn't steady enough to use free weights yet. I have to work my way up to it, hence the machines.

Third, I'm forbidden to ride bicycles due to hip problems.

I've gotten some exercises from a Physical Therapist that I'm working with. They seem helpful. Machines are most useful at the moment, but yeah, I don't intend to stick with them long. Just enough to build some strength in the core, then on to the free weights.

Thank you! :hug:
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Brazen

Quote from: merithyn on June 21, 2012, 02:59:07 PM

I've gotten some exercises from a Physical Therapist that I'm working with. They seem helpful. Machines are most useful at the moment, but yeah, I don't intend to stick with them long. Just enough to build some strength in the core, then on to the free weights.
It's the name of an exercise, not a bike, check the video  :bowler:

If you're under advisement by a physical therapist, you should ignore advice from anyone else, especially me.

Good luck!

mongers

Quote from: Brazen on June 22, 2012, 06:44:18 AM
Quote from: merithyn on June 21, 2012, 02:59:07 PM

If you're under advisement by a physical therapist, you should ignore advice from anyone else, especially me.

Good luck!

No Meri should ignore advice from me first, before ignoring yours.    :P

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

PDH

I want to be ignored too!
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

11B4V

Not with that mustache.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

merithyn

Quote from: mongers on June 22, 2012, 07:19:10 AM

Good luck!

I never ignore advice from either of you. Sometimes I have to tuck it away until I can use it (like now), but I NEVER ignore it. You're both my fitness gurus. :hug:

mongers

Quote from: merithyn on June 22, 2012, 09:39:53 AM
Quote from: mongers on June 22, 2012, 07:19:10 AM

Good luck!

I never ignore advice from either of you. Sometimes I have to tuck it away until I can use it (like now), but I NEVER ignore it. You're both my fitness gurus. :hug:

:blush:  :hug:

Seriously, I'm one of the last people you should listen to about fitness.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Eddie Teach

I know I don't listen to you.  :P
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

merithyn

I have lost 3 inches off my ass.. er.. hips, and an inch off my waist. Lost nothing on the boobs yet. My measurements are now: 42-37-39. :showoff:

I have GAINED an inch on my calves and half an inch on my biceps, and both are considerably more defined than before. Weight continues to refuse to budge, but I refuse to worry about it.

Additionally, I'm halfway through week two of the Couch to 5K and loving it. New goal: run a 5k this fall at a 12-minute mile pace.

Iormlund

Hospital called. I'm scheduled for a dilation of my scar in a week. If they don't find signs of inflammation and all goes well I'll be able to start eating veggies again and get off meds in a couple weeks.

BTW Meri, can you use the ski machines? I find that those stress my poor abs more than biking (in fact the first time I tried one after surgery I spent three days being unable to move).

merithyn

Quote from: Iormlund on June 27, 2012, 12:01:36 PM
BTW Meri, can you use the ski machines? I find that those stress my poor abs more than biking (in fact the first time I tried one after surgery I spent three days being unable to move).

You mean this?

I use that or the stair climber three times a week. I'm noticing that my abs are stronger, but I still hate working them individually. If this thing works for that, then I'll be doing more of it, that's for sure.   <_<

Iormlund

Yeah one of those. Don't know about the rectus, but it seems to work on the transversus (and most assuredly oblique) muscle fairly well when I do long strides. Or at least it pulls noticeably on my scar (typical one which goes from a couple inches above the bellybutton down past the six-pack).