News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Sci Fi TV

Started by Eddie Teach, December 09, 2011, 12:05:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What is your favorite dramatic science fiction television show?

Outer Limits
1 (1.9%)
Twilight Zone
1 (1.9%)
Star Trek TOS
2 (3.8%)
Star Trek TNG
8 (15.4%)
Other Star Trek
3 (5.8%)
Battlestar Galactica
3 (5.8%)
Babylon 5
9 (17.3%)
Stargate
3 (5.8%)
X-Files
4 (7.7%)
Farscape
3 (5.8%)
Firefly
6 (11.5%)
Dr Who
6 (11.5%)
Lost
0 (0%)
Fringe
1 (1.9%)
Terranova
1 (1.9%)
Buck Rogers
0 (0%)
Other
0 (0%)
Hate Sci Fi, Love Jaron
1 (1.9%)

Total Members Voted: 50

Ideologue

Quote from: Josephus on December 09, 2011, 03:44:12 PM
Quote from: Cerr on December 09, 2011, 01:38:48 PM
Quote from: grumbler on December 09, 2011, 01:34:08 PM
Deep Space Nine comes in second.  Lots of fluff in the series (it took nine seasons to tell about half the story B5 told in five seasons), but it still told a story and had enough serious and moving episodes that the fact that it also had the monumentally suckass character "Q" appear a few times didn't much taint it.
It had seven seasons not nine.
Q only appeared in one episode.

Yeah, but wasn't his daughter with him, that counts as Q X2.

Always preferred STNG to DS9 myself.

I think what you and grumbles are probably thinking of are those filthy Voyager episodes with Q.  I like the one where there's a civil war in the Q Continuum and the Voyager crew goes in and everyone's dressed in ACW uniforms and OH GOD it was like Lettow and Tim jointly won a "be an executive producer for a day" contest.

Anyway, DS9, I suppose; despite its many, many weaknesses, it's the only serialized space opera that I can say is actually good.

BSG had a lot going for it, and would have been better, if not for the ending and--like g said--its own self-indulgence.

B5 I just can't take completely seriously because of the hilariously undermotivated antagonists (Vorlons and Shadows, respectively) and "Z'ha'dum"--that one where Sheridan jumps off a balcony for freedom--has dumbest Goddamned things I think I've ever seen happen all one after the other.  1. Alien race that is supposedly more advanced and intelligent permits enemy to retain access to orbiting weapons system while trying to pressure him? Check.  2. Alien race that explicitly built cities underground to resist orbital bombardment has 100 square kilometer window installed over city?  Check.  3. Guy survives calling a kinetic bombardment down upon his own head?  By jumping off a balcony?  Check.

After that, I was like, these Shadow clowns aren't really a threat, are they?  And they aren't.  They aren't beaten; they give up.

That said, it had its good turns, Londo being particularly great, and the Shadow ship design is one of my all-time faves.  But if I ever have to hear the word "walkabout" again I'm gonna set myself on fire.  Also, I hope JMS gets cancer for never finishing Squadron Supreme and also for driving the Superman franchise so far into the ground it had to be rebooted.

P.S. oh and Firefly was pretty good, if that counts as serialized space opera.  Don't know if it should, since it sure wasn't serialized much.  *Rimshot.*
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Ideologue

Careful.  Think good thoughts.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Duque de Bragança

No BSG "Neil" option ?  :hmm:  ;)

Ideologue

Kinemalogue

sbr

The only ones on the list I ever watched regularly were the original BSG and Buck Rogers from the 70's.  Athena and Cassiopeia were hotter than Wilma and Twiki so I have to go with the original BSG.

Syt

Quote from: sbr on December 09, 2011, 09:08:19 PM
Athena and Cassiopeia were hotter than Wilma

Err, what?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josquius

Firefly was the best thing ever.

Babylon 5  was barely tolerable poo
██████
██████
██████

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

dps

Quote from: Syt on December 10, 2011, 12:54:05 AM

Err, what?

You kinda gotta add the "and Twiki" part in there.

Neil

I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

grumbler

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on December 10, 2011, 02:29:08 AM
Quote from: Tyr on December 10, 2011, 01:26:21 AM
barely tolerable poo

Does not compute.
Probably because you, like me, don't eat poo.  His comment probably makes sense to fellow poo-eaters.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

BuddhaRhubarb

Voted TNG... but I'd say I'm more of an "any Trek" watcher. I'm that guy who enjoyed Enterprise. :nerd:
:p

grumbler

Quote from: dps on December 10, 2011, 06:05:45 AM
Quote from: Syt on December 10, 2011, 12:54:05 AM

Err, what?

You kinda gotta add the "and Twiki" part in there.
Yeah, that's the only way the sentence makes sense.  Erin Gray was much hotter than Maren Jensen or Laurette Spang, but when you throw Twiki in there, the hottness average gets halved, and the BSG girls get in by the skin of their teeth.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Neil

I preferred Maren Jensen.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.