Started by Capetan Mihali, December 15, 2011, 05:03:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KRonn

Quote from: Sheilbh on December 16, 2011, 07:37:49 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on December 16, 2011, 06:00:28 PM
Quote from: mongers on December 16, 2011, 05:53:59 PM
PS Shelf, did you get my email/PM ?
No :mellow:

Which is odd.  Try the PM again and hopefully it'll get through.
Still haven't received mongers.  I'll PM you my e-mail, you may have an old one.
It's because of the economy... even email has slowed down.   :(

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: Ed Anger on December 16, 2011, 07:31:49 PM
My fear was that if I had a swimming pool, I'd wake up one morning a neighbor's kid would be floating face down in it. It would be like a party at Tommy Lee's house.

:lol: 

But I think you're absolutely right, it seems like if you have a home swimming pool these days you have to fence it all around or maybe put in one of those kid alarms they sell on TV.  My dad's friend moved into a suburban development where all the houses had small in-ground pools in the backyard, and he just bricked his up immediately for that reason.  To his neighbors' delight.   :D
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

garbon

So has anyone asked the important question? Why are all these people choosing poverty? Sounds dreadful!
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Rasputin

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on December 16, 2011, 04:50:14 PM
Quote from: Rasputin on December 16, 2011, 04:05:28 PM
Quote from: HVC on December 16, 2011, 01:58:30 PM
a ten year payment plan on a boat?

I think what you're ignoring is to get to the point of a yacht you have several other expenses. house, private school, trophy wife. So while plausable to get the boat it's unlikely unless he's willing to give up quite a bit.

the cheapest part of owning a yacht is the cost to buy it

i promise that to be so

Yacht ownership has been compared to having an icy-cold shower whilst tearing up £20 notes  :P

in florida thatd be a hot shower, but the cost of marine gas coupled with a 22 gallon per hour burn rate has certainly affected how much i take her out
Who is John Galt?

Rasputin

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on December 16, 2011, 05:23:46 PM
Quote from: Malthus on December 16, 2011, 05:08:54 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on December 16, 2011, 04:25:59 PM
I'm really sorry I off-handedly mentioned a fucking yacht.

:lol:

The fucking ones cost extra.

Rasputin can vouch for that  :lol:
the girls are free accessories :)
Who is John Galt?

Rasputin

Quote from: PDH on December 16, 2011, 05:53:23 PM
Quote from: Rasputin on December 16, 2011, 05:02:06 PM
that's just to fill the tanks :contract:

add in dockage, insurance, engine services, generator services, sattelite radio and tv bills, hull waxing, etc,  and you are looking at 20,000 per year on an inexpensive yacht

then once you hit 50 feet you're looking at crew expenses and the price increases exponentially
My grandfather docked at the St Francis Yacht Club in San Francisco, took his 68 foot ketch out every weekend in the winter - long cruises in the Spring and Summer, and always had at least 1 full time boat guy to do the brightwork, sails, engine work, etc.

He loved sailing, and thankfully he had the funds to do it, but damn it can get costly.

sounds like a wonderful way to spend a summer
Who is John Galt?