And we're back!

Main Menu

Save Europe Day

Started by Tamas, December 09, 2011, 07:19:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Fox

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 09, 2011, 12:57:32 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on December 09, 2011, 12:47:33 PM
That's because it is. It's all the fault of Lobbying.

:lol:

No private Enterprise = No lobbying.

Right, right?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Iormlund

Quote from: Martinus on December 09, 2011, 12:44:50 PM
There would be only one downside to the UK leaving the EU, as far as I am concerned: they would probably roll back English as one of the three core languages of the EU. Other than that, I say get ouf, limeys.

I can't wait for all the stupid expats in Poland to be deported.  :D

Nah. Nobody is going to learn French no matter what scheme our neighbors to the north concoct.

Valmy

There would be only one downside to the UK leaving the EU, as far as I am concerned: they would probably roll back English as one of the three core languages of the EU. Other than that, I say get ouf, limeys.

I can't wait for all the stupid expats in Poland to be deported.  :D

What?  Ireland is not good enough to wave the Anglophone banner on their own?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Zanza

Merkel and Sarkozy speak English with eachother.

Valmy

Quote from: Tamas on December 09, 2011, 12:25:26 PM
check your sarcasm meter, he is not agreeing with that :P

But he is right, in leftist Europe (ie. almost all of Europe) this crisis is the clear failure of the free market. Which is funny and infuriating at the same time.

I know I was asking about the mentality he was mocking.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

alfred russel

I haven't been following the blow by blow too closely, but how did a southern eurozone crisis suddenly result in an emergency EU summit with a plan to balance everyone's budget? a) I don't see a reason for involvement of countries that have their own currency, and b) it doesn't seem a solution for anyone.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Iormlund

IIRC all EU members but 2 (one of the the UK) are supposed to one day enter the EZ, so it was logical to have the process take the form of a EU wide treaty. I think that was the way Merkel wanted it as well. Sarkozy wanted a two-tiered approach. He's got it now.

Also, the crisis has gone way past the PIIGS now. Belgium, France and Austria are under pressure already.

Zanza

Quote from: alfred russel on December 09, 2011, 01:09:42 PM
I haven't been following the blow by blow too closely, but how did a southern eurozone crisis suddenly result in an emergency EU summit with a plan to balance everyone's budget? a) I don't see a reason for involvement of countries that have their own currency, and b) it doesn't seem a solution for anyone.
a) is because the non-Eurozone countries want to be able to take part in decisions and because Germany has an interest to get the Scandies and Poland on board

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Grey Fox on December 09, 2011, 01:00:29 PM
No private Enterprise = No lobbying.

Right, right?

No government spending = no lobbying.

The US Post Office is lobbying like a motherfucker right now.

alfred russel

Quote from: Iormlund on December 09, 2011, 01:14:12 PM
IIRC all EU members but 2 (one of the the UK) are supposed to one day enter the EZ, so it was logical to have the process take the form of a EU wide treaty. I think that was the way Merkel wanted it as well. Sarkozy wanted a two-tiered approach. He's got it now.

Also, the crisis has gone way past the PIIGS now. Belgium, France and Austria are under pressure already.

It makes little sense to me. Why go for an agreement of 27 when all you need now is an agreement of 17?

Certainly the past few years haven't been a strong advertisement for the euro.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Iormlund

Apparently, because you are afraid of being outvoted by France and the PIGS and would prefer to have the Scandies and other non-EZ countries to balance them. It is true that Germany (or Merkel at least) seems to have created a lot of bad will lately within the EZ.

Tamas

Quote from: Iormlund on December 09, 2011, 01:46:30 PM
Apparently, because you are afraid of being outvoted by France and the PIGS and would prefer to have the Scandies and other non-EZ countries to balance them. It is true that Germany (or Merkel at least) seems to have created a lot of bad will lately within the EZ.

The Germans? Pissing off other Europeans? No way.

Warspite

There would be only one downside to the UK leaving the EU

A bizarre statement, given that you claim to be a free-market liberal.

Who, apart from the UK, is another EU member state of significance trying to stand against a protectionist vision of the common market?
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

Tamas

Quote from: Warspite on December 09, 2011, 02:18:11 PM

Who, apart from the UK, is another EU member state of significance trying to stand against a protectionist vision of the common market?

Marty is a socio-liberal nowadays. He craves Big State like he craves Big Toes

Iormlund

Quote from: Warspite on December 09, 2011, 02:18:11 PM

Are we talking about the same UK whose only objective today was to protect the City? Is that the standard-bearer against protectionism?