News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Save Europe Day

Started by Tamas, December 09, 2011, 07:19:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Quote from: Iormlund on December 09, 2011, 03:15:19 PMAre we talking about the same UK whose only objective today was to protect the City? Is that the standard-bearer against protectionism?
Protectionism doesn't mean anything to protect an industry.  Protectionism's about protecting an industry from competition.  That's different from trying to stop regulations that a government would think hurt a sector of their economy.

The government's objection was precisely that EU regulation would make it impossible for the City to compete with Switzerland, Dubai, Hong Kong or New York.  I think they'd probably support a liberalisation of regulations on financial services in the EU and the establishment of a Common Market in services (at last).  So none of their position's protectionist.
Let's bomb Russia!

Richard Hakluyt

So the City is to be taxed into oblivion because the Greeks are not as thrifty as the Germans  :hmm: ?

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: szmik on December 09, 2011, 12:19:49 PM
I find all the fuss funny.
When you spend more than you earn you're going to be in trouble one day. This day is more or less now.   :nelson:

But we are told it's the fault of capitalism. Hell yeah.  :rolleyes:

Seems to me that the opposite is happening - that the premise coming out of the summit is that the cause of the problem was fiscal indiscipline; hence the only concrete being proposed are limitations on government spending. 

When in reality government deficits have little to do with the present crisis.  In fact, of all the vulnerable countries, only Greece had serious fiscal issues pre-crisis.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

MadImmortalMan

I can't name a nation without serious fiscal issues pre-crisis.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Sheilbh

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on December 09, 2011, 06:21:49 PM
I can't name a nation without serious fiscal issues pre-crisis.
Of the crisis nations, Ireland and Spain.  Even Italy had seen debt decline as a percent of GDP and were running a surplus for some of the time.

I believe Portugal was in deep trouble so I'd probably link them in with the Greeks.
Let's bomb Russia!

Tamas

If you are in deep fiscal troubles the moment some kind of shit hits the fan, then you do have serious fiscal issues even when goings are good, you are just not noticing it.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tamas on December 09, 2011, 06:28:43 PM
If you are in deep fiscal troubles the moment some kind of shit hits the fan, then you do have serious fiscal issues even when goings are good, you are just not noticing it.
What were Ireland and Spain's deep fiscal issues?
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on December 09, 2011, 06:32:25 PM

Ireland's deep fiscal issue is they assumed a fuckload of bank liabilities.

I'm still waiting for the other shoe to drop on Spain.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 09, 2011, 06:39:12 PMIreland's deep fiscal issue is they assumed a fuckload of bank liabilities.
That was before the crisis hit?

And let's not forget the Irish weren't keen on that idea.  They were put under massive pressure by the UK and other European 'partners'.
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on December 09, 2011, 06:40:32 PM
That was before the crisis hit?

That was before Irish yields started rising I think.

QuoteAnd let's not forget the Irish weren't keen on that idea.  They were put under massive pressure by the UK and other European 'partners'.

I've read differently, and it always doesn't have anything to do with anything.

woops, also

MadImmortalMan

Explain to me how Spain supposedly ran a surplus but their debt never went down.

2005 debt--$478 billion

2006 debt--$500 billion

That's a decrease in the debt to gdp ratio for them, but the debt didn't get smaller. Spain's "surplus" that year was 2%

Ireland:

2005 debt--$53.9 billion

2006 debt--$56.6 billion

Ireland is supposed to have run a 3% surplus in 2006. WTF happened to the extra twelve billion or so dollars? Their debt should have dropped by six billion.

My numbers come from The Economist.

Razgovory

I think Ireland's problem was that it was simply small.  A large wave could capsize it nor matter how good it was doing.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Razgovory on December 09, 2011, 07:14:34 PM

I think Ireland's problem was that it was simply small.  A large wave could capsize it nor matter how good it was doing.

Absolutely. The same for Greece and Portugal. I guess the lesson is the smaller you are, the tighter your balance sheet needs to be.

Warspite

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 09, 2011, 06:39:12 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on December 09, 2011, 06:32:25 PM

Ireland's deep fiscal issue is they assumed a fuckload of bank liabilities.

Private bank liabilities are a fiscal issue?
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

Warspite

Quote from: Iormlund on December 09, 2011, 03:15:19 PM
Quote from: Warspite on December 09, 2011, 02:18:11 PM
Quote from: Martinus on December 09, 2011, 12:44:50 PM
There would be only one downside to the UK leaving the EU

A bizarre statement, given that you claim to be a free-market liberal.

Who, apart from the UK, is another EU member state of significance trying to stand against a protectionist vision of the common market?

Are we talking about the same UK whose only objective today was to protect the City? Is that the standard-bearer against protectionism?

Yes. Trying to preserve deregulation is not protectionism. You may not agree with it, but it is not protectionism.
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA