News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

New York in 9 hours or less

Started by crazy canuck, December 08, 2011, 04:05:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Next week I have a nine your lay over in Newark with my family in the middle of the night - landing at 9 pm local time.  The current plan is to hire a driver for a driving tour of the city for a couple hours and then get some sleep at the airport hotel.

All advice regarding what we might do on the tour or alternatives is appreciated.

MadImmortalMan

Make reservations for Le Bernadin.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

The Brain

Luckily there's an instructional movie.

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Zanza

Go to Rockefeller Center, see the Christmas tree and go to the viewing deck on top if it is still open. Walk over to Times Square. Go back to the airport.

Admiral Yi

Night time walking tour of Newark.

:lmao:

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Malthus

Quote from: Ideologue on December 08, 2011, 04:19:55 PM
Quote from: The Brain on December 08, 2011, 04:10:28 PM
Luckily there's an instructional movie.

Favorite Scorsese film.

I love how that movie poster makes it look like a rom-com.  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Admiral Yi

On a serious note, I don't think you have enough time to head in to town and back to Newark airport.

Here's what you do: hire a car, have him take your family to Bergen, Frank Sinatra's home town.  Some reasonable places for dinner there.

After dinner you drive up to Weehauken.  The town is nothing at all, but it has an unbelievable view of the Manhattan skyline across the Hudson.  Bring a camera.

All this takes place on the west side of the Hudson, so you're not eating up all your time in a tunnel.

crazy canuck

Thanks for the tip Yi, I was wondering about the timing issue.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Jacob

Quote from: crazy canuck on December 08, 2011, 05:12:06 PM
Thanks for the tip Yi, I was wondering about the timing issue.

Where are you guys going?

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 08, 2011, 05:02:47 PM
have him take your family to Bergen, Frank Sinatra's home town.

Bergen, as in the county?   :huh:  You must mean Hoboken.  Which is in Hudson County.  :smarty:

Anyways, I like Yi's idea a lot.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

alfred russel

Forget a driving tour. Get a cab to leave you off in Brooklyn, then walk across the bridge into Manhattan and make your way up to Central Park. On your way you can walk through a lot of the major neighborhoods and see a lot of the landmarks in NYC. If you get tired, just find a park, restaurant, or bar to rest in.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014