Red Cross says War Games should be bound by the Geneva convention

Started by jimmy olsen, December 07, 2011, 05:30:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

Worrying about whether your computer games follow the Geneva Convention is the very definition of a "first world problem".  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Richard Hakluyt

What about hate-speech between Dwarves and Elves? This has got to be a major worry as well  :hmm:

Strix

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on December 09, 2011, 11:58:53 AM
What about hate-speech between Dwarves and Elves? This has got to be a major worry as well  :hmm:

There are quite a few quests in WoW where you perform medical experiments on prisoners.
"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher

Neil

Quote from: hotshot on December 09, 2011, 10:23:23 AM
QuoteRolling over people with tanks:  Good fun.
Or not.
There's nothing more satisfying than spotting a lone engineer repairing his tank, and then sneaking up on him, jumping in the tank and then backing over him.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Neil on December 09, 2011, 12:40:40 PM
Quote from: hotshot on December 09, 2011, 10:23:23 AM
QuoteRolling over people with tanks:  Good fun.
Or not.
There's nothing more satisfying than spotting a lone engineer repairing his tank, and then sneaking up on him, jumping in the tank and then backing over him.

Yup.  BattleGTA.

Ed Anger

I like watching the driver of the tank pop out to repair his tank and then run over to steal it. THIS IS A TANKJACKING.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

jimmy olsen

Quick, someone send them some WH40k games!
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

sbr

Quote from: Malthus on December 09, 2011, 11:46:04 AM
Worrying about whether your computer games follow the Geneva Convention is the very definition of a "first world problem".  :D

No kidding. :D

Neil

Quote from: jimmy olsen on December 09, 2011, 08:58:06 PM
Aliens aren't covered by the Geneva Convention, nor are demons.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Neil on December 09, 2011, 09:13:23 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on December 09, 2011, 08:58:06 PM
Aliens aren't covered by the Geneva Convention, nor are demons.
Plenty of rebellious humans get annihilated, tortured, etc.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

11B4V

QuoteShould the Geneva Conventions Be Applied to Video Games?

I usually play the Germans in CMBB and we dont do that sort of thing.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Razgovory

I remember an RTS where civilians were a harvest-able resource.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ideologue

Now I have an image of the ore trucks from Command & Conquer scooping up people and taking them back to the refinery.  It's pretty great.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Tonitrus

Quote from: Ideologue on December 10, 2011, 07:09:22 PM
Now I have an image of the ore trucks from Command & Conquer scooping up people and taking them back to the refinery.  It's pretty great.

Soylent Green mod?

Solmyr

Quote from: Drakken on December 08, 2011, 08:04:42 AM
Quote from: Tyr on December 07, 2011, 08:58:06 PM
Surely player characters do tend to obey the Geneva convention?
I can't off the topic of my head think of any games where the PC has to shoot prisoners or the like, its always the evil villains doing that sort of thing.

You could execute prisoners in M:TW, with a zany sound of people dying with their throats slit.

Do the conventions apply to medieval warfare? :unsure: