Red Cross says War Games should be bound by the Geneva convention

Started by jimmy olsen, December 07, 2011, 05:30:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ideologue

In some seriousness, I do kinda wish that EU2 didn't make narrowminded and serfdom so attractive.  Low stab costs and an unbeatable army?  Sure, that sounds like Russia to me.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Josquius

Surely player characters do tend to obey the Geneva convention?
I can't off the topic of my head think of any games where the PC has to shoot prisoners or the like, its always the evil villains doing that sort of thing.
██████
██████
██████

Kleves

Quote from: Tyr on December 07, 2011, 08:58:06 PM
I can't off the topic of my head think of any games where the PC has to shoot prisoners or the like, its always the evil villains doing that sort of thing.
Call of Duty had a level where the player murdered civilians, didn't it? Though I think they were Russians, so maybe it doesn't count.
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

Syt

Quote from: Ed Anger on December 07, 2011, 06:54:58 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 07, 2011, 06:53:42 PM
I've used AA guns as antipersonnel weapons. :weep:

Company of Heroes is great with the meat chopper and the Wirblewind.

CROSS MY LINE OF SIGHT? POW POW POW POW!

For some reason I read that as "Company of Herpes", but that would probably be better suited for a sim about Japanese frontline brothels.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

fhdz

Quote from: Kleves on December 07, 2011, 10:54:49 PM
Call of Duty had a level where the player murdered civilians, didn't it? Though I think they were Russians, so maybe it doesn't count.

:lol:
and the horse you rode in on

Syt

You didn't have to actively participate, and the game gave you the option to skip that level.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Ideologue

Killing civilians at ground level is morally wrong.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ed Anger on December 07, 2011, 06:17:10 PM
I wonder about those 1.6 million Soviet prisoners I've taken in War in the East. Are they in little tiny pixel POW camps? Have they been shot by my pixel SS units? Are those 'Labor Squads' in my units full of pixel Polish prisoners?

What about the occupation of Soviet cities? Are there pixel Eitzentruppen shooting  pixel commissars and pixel jews?

That's how fahdiz plays.

Drakken

You could execute prisoners in M:TW, with a zany sound of people dying with their throats slit.

Admiral Yi

In Close Combat I think you could kill POWs through area fire. :hmm:

Drakken

WITE is pretty much played with the understanding that the Geneva Convention books have been thrown in a ditch somewhere on the Russian-Polish border.  :shifty:

The Brain

Denying the Holocaust is illegal in some countries so WW2 games are already legally required to have small Jew counters being redeployed to Poland, staying for one turn and then being replaced by a Fillings counter.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Razgovory

Quote from: Ed Anger on December 07, 2011, 06:54:58 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 07, 2011, 06:53:42 PM
I've used AA guns as antipersonnel weapons. :weep:

Company of Heroes is great with the meat chopper and the Wirblewind.

CROSS MY LINE OF SIGHT? POW POW POW POW!

You can also gun down medics.  The AI won't normally target them, but you can manual aim at them.  You will automatically blow up aid stations though.

But yeah, I love using the Quad .50 as a base of fire.  It also works as a reinforcement point so you'll have a ton of soldiers hanging around it as you roll into an enemy base.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

hotshot