News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Is Facebook Worth $100 Billion?

Started by garbon, December 02, 2011, 08:53:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfred russel

Quote from: garbon on August 17, 2012, 01:08:41 PM
What's the point of going public if you don't care about investors?

Apparently he didn't have much of a choice...once you cross a certain number of shareholders you have to file, and facebook was at that limit for a while, with a bunch of early investors/workers that had stock options to exercise.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

garbon

Quote from: alfred russel on August 17, 2012, 01:22:03 PM

Apparently he didn't have much of a choice...once you cross a certain number of shareholders you have to file, and facebook was at that limit for a while, with a bunch of early investors/workers that had stock options to exercise.

Gotcha, gotcha. I was wondering if there was something like that.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Barrister

Quote from: garbon on August 17, 2012, 01:23:32 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on August 17, 2012, 01:22:03 PM

Gotcha, gotcha. I was wondering if there was something like that.

Plus some of the early VC wanted to cash out, I think.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

alfred russel

I kind of admire Zuckerberg for not really wanting to go public, and then taking a "who gives a fuck" attitude toward the whole thing when he had to. Although now he is getting sued by half the law firms in new york and is getting a ton of bad press. Our country sucks sometimes.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

garbon

Quote from: alfred russel on August 17, 2012, 02:23:21 PM
I kind of admire Zuckerberg for not really wanting to go public, and then taking a "who gives a fuck" attitude toward the whole thing when he had to. Although now he is getting sued by half the law firms in new york and is getting a ton of bad press. Our country sucks sometimes.

I'm not sure I admire the attitude bit. If you're going to have to do something, do it well - otherwise you're just fucking over lots of other people.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: garbon on August 17, 2012, 02:25:44 PM
I'm not sure I admire the attitude bit. If you're going to have to do something, do it well - otherwise you're just fucking over lots of other people.

The people fucked over were those who thought Facebook was worth over a hundred billion for some reason. They should probably just stay out of the stock market altogether.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

alfred russel

He owned a controlling stake in the company, and was always upfront that priority one wasn't maximizing profits. When regulatory requirements made it basically mandatory to go public, he made a rather public show that it was going to be on his own terms, he was going to keep a controlling stake in the company and effectively not be answerable to anyone else, and was going to run the company according to what he valued rather than just providing cash returns to shareholders.

The people getting "fucked over" really only have themselves to blame. That is my opinion at least.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

garbon

Quote from: alfred russel on August 17, 2012, 02:36:03 PM

He owned a controlling stake in the company, and was always upfront that priority one wasn't maximizing profits. When regulatory requirements made it basically mandatory to go public, he made a rather public show that it was going to be on his own terms, he was going to keep a controlling stake in the company and effectively not be answerable to anyone else, and was going to run the company according to what he valued rather than just providing cash returns to shareholders.

The people getting "fucked over" really only have themselves to blame. That is my opinion at least.

Weren't various employees given stock? Kinda sucks for them.

derspiess

Quote from: The Brain on August 17, 2012, 02:36:36 PM
Who was fucked over?

People who bought into the IPO, or paid anything near the opening price.  But then I agree with AR in that they really fucked themselves over if they didn't think Facebook was overvalued.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Barrister

I did think of that.  Declining stock price makes stock options not so valuable.

But I think it's better to say that Zuckerberg doesn't care about short-term share price.  He's clearly dedicated to growing FB, which in the end will increase stock value.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

alfred russel

Quote from: garbon on August 17, 2012, 02:43:19 PM

Not really, I doubt many of them are hurting right now. But in any event, if they want stock based compensation and aren't happy with the company's mission statement and leadership, they are always able to move to a more stockholder friendly company, or at least theoretically negotiate a compensation package that isn't stock based.

The Brain

Quote from: derspiess on August 17, 2012, 02:50:17 PM
Quote from: The Brain on August 17, 2012, 02:36:36 PM
Who was fucked over?

People who bought into the IPO, or paid anything near the opening price.  But then I agree with AR in that they really fucked themselves over if they didn't think Facebook was overvalued.

Yes, I don't believe they were fucked over.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

garbon

Quote from: alfred russel on August 17, 2012, 02:53:00 PM
Quote from: garbon on August 17, 2012, 02:43:19 PM

Not really, I doubt many of them are hurting right now. But in any event, if they want stock based compensation and aren't happy with the company's mission statement and leadership, they are always able to move to a more stockholder friendly company, or at least theoretically negotiate a compensation package that isn't stock based.

http://www.businessinsider.com/dear-facebook-employees-heres-the-truth-about-your-stock-price-2012-8
QuoteAnd the stock price is now well below the level at which most employees have been granted stock in the past 18 months.
This means that most current and former Facebook employees are worth far less than they were a few months ago.
Facebook's stock crash is also hurting morale at the company, and damaging perception of the company's business and brand. The impact is big enough that Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg, who has been crystal clear about his desire to ignore the stock price, admitted at a company meeting that the stock crash has been "painful" for everyone.

Rest of article is about putting that into perspective for current employees - but it isn't hard to see that Z's devil may care attitude is painful for those below him - as in fact he said it himself. :D

As to the rest of what you said - that just further points out that he isn't doing such a great job if employees should leave to get better compensation...

alfred russel

My company focuses on shareholder return, so any facebook employee that wants to trade their equity compensation for mine the last few years is welcome to do so.  :(

The past year or so aside, Facebook has done incredibly well for its employees.