News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Is Facebook Worth $100 Billion?

Started by garbon, December 02, 2011, 08:53:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: garbon on August 17, 2012, 09:24:16 AM
@GF - They cited that his been disdainful/not skillful at courting investors.

This should not have come as that much of a shock.  There were stories in the press during the IPO process of how the investment bankers felt insulted by how he treated them.

The initial IPO investors had visions of the old tech boom days dancing in their heads and forgot about the basics.

Jacob

Quote from: derspiess on August 17, 2012, 10:41:11 AM
WTF is a pension fund anyway??

A secure retirement for those who belong to it, even if they aren't rich or savvy investors.

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

derspiess

Quote from: Habbaku on August 17, 2012, 11:58:59 AM

:huh:

Sorry, I've never worked anywhere that has offered these "pension" things ;)
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Neil

Quote from: Jacob on August 17, 2012, 11:46:25 AM

A secure retirement for those who belong to it, even if they aren't rich or savvy investors.
Secure might be overstating it.  After all, it involves the stock market, and thus is ultimately worthless.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Habbaku

Quote from: Neil on August 17, 2012, 12:02:00 PM
Quote from: Jacob on August 17, 2012, 11:46:25 AM

Secure might be overstating it.  After all, it involves the stock market, and thus is ultimately worthless.

Secure also requires that whoever's responsible for the pension fund is actually funding the damn thing.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Barrister

Quote from: derspiess on August 17, 2012, 12:01:44 PM
Quote from: Habbaku on August 17, 2012, 11:58:59 AM

:huh:

Sorry, I've never worked anywhere that has offered these "pension" things ;)

:console:

2030 is when mine vests.  Only 18 to go...
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

alfred russel

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 17, 2012, 09:53:05 AM
Meh, he's a borderline autistic script kiddie, not a CEO.  Investors knew that coming in.

Facebook took over from myspace and is the global leader in sharing embarrassing pictures and deploying "like" buttons. Someone was doing more than writing script to get facebook where it is.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Barrister

Quote from: alfred russel on August 17, 2012, 12:59:36 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 17, 2012, 09:53:05 AM
Meh, he's a borderline autistic script kiddie, not a CEO.  Investors knew that coming in.

Facebook took over from myspace and is the global leader in sharing embarrassing pictures and deploying "like" buttons. Someone was doing more than writing script to get facebook where it is.

He's a pretty ruthless and efficient CEO from what I've read.

I'm pretty sure he just doesn't care if the corporate world doesn't accept him.  He doesn't really need the corporate world.  And because he still personally owns a controlling interest in Facebook he doesn't really need to care if the share price drops

garbon

Quote from: Barrister on August 17, 2012, 01:03:02 PM
And because he still personally owns a controlling interest in Facebook he doesn't really need to care if the share price drops

I'd rather have a controlling interest in a company worth more than a company worth less.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Barrister

Quote from: garbon on August 17, 2012, 01:04:09 PM
And because he still personally owns a controlling interest in Facebook he doesn't really need to care if the share price drops

I'd rather have a controlling interest in a company worth more than a company worth less.

Why?  It only matters to Zuckerberg what the share price is if he is trying to sell.

garbon

What's the point of going public if you don't care about investors?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

DGuller

Quote from: garbon on August 17, 2012, 01:08:41 PM
What's the point of going public if you don't care about investors?
$$$.

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Barrister on August 17, 2012, 01:06:25 PM

Why?  It only matters to Zuckerberg what the share price is if he is trying to sell.
He's lost billions hasn't he?
PDH!

HVC

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on August 17, 2012, 01:15:19 PM
Quote from: Barrister on August 17, 2012, 01:06:25 PM

He's lost billions hasn't he?
fake billions. it wasn't his until he sold the stock.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.