News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Is Facebook Worth $100 Billion?

Started by garbon, December 02, 2011, 08:53:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Quote from: Zanza on February 06, 2012, 04:32:09 AM
I can see myself leaving Facebook for something better, but I doubt I'll ever give up on internet access. The only time I don't use it is when I am abroad on vacation. And that's just because roaming is so expensive.

There are enough wifi hotspots out there (except perhaps in the middle of the wilderness) that this is not an issue anymore either.

Zanza

I like travelling to the middle of the wilderness though. ;)

Josquius

I've lost count of the number of people who've recently told me they're looking for something different/better/less intrusive/something that isn't such a time sink etc, some people are poised to start the next migration.
But how many people actually do move elsewhere?
I'm increasingly disliking facebook and I wish something else would pop up and knock it down but facebook is just everywhere these days, everyone is on facebook because everyone is on facebook.
The only way I could ever see facebook being taken down is if everyone makes an account elsewhere for other reasons and this elsewhere slowly shifts into taking over what people use facebook for since everyone is already there for this other thing. What this other thing could be though...who knows- probally facebook and they'll install it on their site.

What was it which undid myspace I wonder?
The crappy photo handling? Lack of privacy? As on paper...it was better. Having the music angle too. Especially since facebook got rid of networks.
██████
██████
██████

Phillip V

Quote from: Tyr on February 06, 2012, 08:57:55 AM
The crappy photo handling? Lack of privacy? As on paper...it was better. Having the music angle too. Especially since facebook got rid of networks.

Facebook was clean, uniform, and uncluttered. No customization. No ads. People used their *real names* as part of exclusive real networks (required confirmed .edu e-mail address). No photo limit. *tags* etc.

garbon

Quote from: Tyr on February 06, 2012, 08:57:55 AM

Well myspace definitely had very crappy infrastructure. Thing was often quite slow and often loaded funky because of the customization features.  Plus it got mad annoying to have web music start up everytime you went to someone's page.

And Phillip - facebook lost that .edu bit a long time ago before it became with with the wider population.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Martinus on February 06, 2012, 04:21:09 AM
Not even many will.

I was being generous and using many in an absolute quantitative rather than relative sense.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

mongers

Quote from: garbon on February 05, 2012, 11:32:05 PM
Quote from: mongers on February 05, 2012, 08:24:42 PM
I'd make an outside bet that many people might decide to engage more with real life and cut back on their internet use, we are after all still in the first flush of internet use/overuse, well at least for most people. Most lLanguishites are the exception in being such early adopters of the interwebs social characteristics

Except that many users are youth who have always grown up with technology mixed into their social lives (from web to phone). I can see them giving up facebook but internet use?

Good job I didn't say that, then.  ;)

You are aware of what cut back means ?

In this context, cut back could mean reducing by 20% or a quarter, a third or halving ones use, all of these reductions could be described as cutting back.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

mongers

My favourite post in this thread so far:

Martinus

Re: Is Facebook Worth $100 Billion?

You are ignoring this user. Show me the post.

:cool:

garbon

Quote from: mongers on February 06, 2012, 01:24:38 PM
I'd make an outside bet that many people might decide to engage more with real life and cut back on their internet use, we are after all still in the first flush of internet use/overuse, well at least for most people. Most lLanguishites are the exception in being such early adopters of the interwebs social characteristics

Except that many users are youth who have always grown up with technology mixed into their social lives (from web to phone). I can see them giving up facebook but internet use?

In this context, cut back could mean reducing by 20% or a quarter, a third or halving ones use, all of these reductions could be described as cutting back.

The same freaking difference. :rolleyes:

Why would individuals who have grown up "connected" all their lives suddenly cut the amount of time that they spend connected? What sense would that make?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

mongers

Quote from: garbon on February 06, 2012, 01:26:53 PM
Quote from: mongers on February 06, 2012, 01:24:38 PM

The same freaking difference. :rolleyes:

Why would individuals who have grown up "connected" all their lives suddenly cut the amount of time that they spend connected? What sense would that make?

So if I showed you ways of cutting back on your electricity usage, say 20 or 30%, to save money, that would have exactly the same out come as if you just said "to hell with it, I'm cancelling my contract with electricity supplier" ?   :hmm:

garbon

Is this the deflect so that you can deflect from your mistake in suggesting that the youth of today are going to start cutting back their internet usage?

Anyway, I often leave my lights on when not home.

Martinus

Quote from: garbon on February 07, 2012, 08:20:15 AM
Is this the deflect so that you can deflect from your mistake in suggesting that the youth of today are going to start cutting back their internet usage?

Me too. Besides, it's ridiculous to compare electricity use to internet use. We don't "use electricity" as an entertainment or to work - sure, it powers our ability to be entertained or work, but it does not directly translate into fun or productivity. On the other hand, usage of the internet is the activity we actually do for fun or work.

garbon

Sorry didn't mean to say deflect twice. :blush:

mongers

Quote from: garbon on February 07, 2012, 08:20:15 AM

Do please carry on attacking that strawman, you've constructed around some of my words.  ;)

Oh and where did I say the youth, oops my bad, that's the foundations of perhaps your next project a wicker man.

garbon

You said people. A big portion of people - especially as time rolls forward, are the youth of today or those that were youth when the internet became a big thing.  Saying that it is a strawman to suggest the youth play a big role in the future of internet use might be a convenient dodge but ultimately futile as it is something that needs to be addressed.