And we're back!

Main Menu

November Jobs Report

Started by jimmy olsen, December 02, 2011, 10:56:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 04, 2011, 07:57:30 PM
Quote from: Tyr on December 04, 2011, 07:48:41 PM
Unemployed is unemployed, that people have given up being on the list of folks actively looking for work shouldn't make the unemployment rate drop and make everyone go "hurrah!"

Then we should include stay at home moms and trustifarians as unemployed.

Did they include you all that time?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Neil on December 04, 2011, 07:59:32 PM

Probably not.

Of course you should.  They're capable of work, but not employed.

alfred russel

Quote from: Tyr on December 04, 2011, 07:48:41 PM
Quote from: DGuller on December 04, 2011, 07:34:46 PM
Quote from: Tyr on December 04, 2011, 07:24:25 PM
Quote from: MadImmortalMan on December 02, 2011, 06:29:04 PM
Apparently, 315k people dropped out of the workforce last month. Makes more sense now.

:pinch:

I hate such playing with the figures.
Apparently Japan does that a lot. Benefits expire after half a year and then you're no longer counted in unemployment statistics.
How is this playing with the figures?  There is a definition to unemployment rate, several in fact.  Those definitions are merely being adhered to. 

Also, regarding benefits, I don't know about Japan, but in US, whether you receive unemployment benefits or not matters not at all whether you're counted as unemployed.  It's one of those myths that just won't die.
Unemployed is unemployed, that people have given up being on the list of folks actively looking for work shouldn't make the unemployment rate drop and make everyone go "hurrah!"

Tyr, all the statistics are reported. The labor force participation rate in connection with the unemployment rate are both monitored and (I presume) up on the BLS website along with a zillion other statistics.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

DGuller

Interestingly enough, in my workplace, government statistics are regarded as gold standard in terms of quality.

Ideologue

Don't all answer my reasonable question at once.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Neil

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 04, 2011, 08:07:06 PM
Probably not.
But they're also unemployable.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Josquius

Quote from: alfred russel on December 04, 2011, 08:07:30 PM

Tyr, all the statistics are reported. The labor force participation rate in connection with the unemployment rate are both monitored and (I presume) up on the BLS website along with a zillion other statistics.
Mim says 315,000 dropped out.
And in the UK I know it is people on the dole and not on training which they release figures for.
██████
██████
██████

alfred russel

Quote from: Ideologue on December 04, 2011, 08:16:46 PM

The definitions should be on the BLS website; I don't know the specifics offhand.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

Razgovory

Probably not.

What about people who are incapable of work, but still employed?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Razgovory on December 04, 2011, 10:02:29 PM

Probably not.

What about people who are incapable of work, but still employed?

Raz, don't let yourself get pulled in to an argument with Yi and Neil.  Yi's an unrepentant fuck-the-unemployed-they're-all-lazy-black-single-moms-anyway Reaganaut and Neil's Canadian, where the government pays off his mortgage or some shit if he's unemployed.

You have a soul, and they don't.

Razgovory

That's the nicest thing you've ever said about me.  I'm touched.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Razgovory on December 04, 2011, 10:26:36 PM
That's the nicest thing you've ever said about me.  I'm touched.

Take a bath and get a job.

Neil

Raz, don't let yourself get swayed by CdM.  He spends his every waking moment wishing he was me.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Ideologue

Quote from: alfred russel on December 04, 2011, 09:59:23 PM

The definitions should be on the BLS website; I don't know the specifics offhand.

I'm not sure the BLS answers it.  The number of new graduates is easy to get ahold of*, but it would be incorrect to say that all graduates (at every level) are part of the labor force, as many of them enroll in further education immediately.  So what, if any, number do they use to add to the labor force every spring?  Hopefully not only employed graduates, considering unemployed graduates who have not been in the labor force while students to remain unattached to it after completing their program.

They do have a "new entrants" listing, but do not further define it or describe how they arrived at about an average of 1,200,000 for each month of 2011.  I'd suspect 2011's total number of graduates not seeking higher education must dwarf that number (hell, I can account for about 4% of that number just with 2011's J.D.s); perhaps that's accounted for when they stop being "new," but I don't know when that is.

*Actually, I couldn't find it.  Granted, I did not try extra-hard, but it should have been very easy to find. :huh:
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

alfred russel

Quote from: Ideologue on December 04, 2011, 10:40:29 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on December 04, 2011, 09:59:23 PM

I'm not sure the BLS answers it.  The number of new graduates is easy to get ahold of*, but it would be incorrect to say that all graduates (at every level) are part of the labor force, as many of them enroll in further education immediately.  So what, if any, number do they use to add to the labor force every spring?  Hopefully not only employed graduates, considering unemployed graduates who have not been in the labor force while students to remain unattached to it after completing their program.

They do have a "new entrants" listing, but do not further define it or describe how they arrived at about an average of 1,200,000 for each month of 2011.  I'd suspect 2011's total number of graduates not seeking higher education must dwarf that number (hell, I can account for about 4% of that number just with 2011's J.D.s); perhaps that's accounted for when they stop being "new," but I don't know when that is.

*Actually, I couldn't find it.  Granted, I did not try extra-hard, but it should have been very easy to find. :huh:

I don't know the methodology, though I know it is published. I would think a graduate going into further education is not joining the workforce, a graduate that is looking for a job but hasn't found one is unemployed, and a graduate with a job is employed. I assume that the surveys they do are detailed enough to figure out which of these groups someone is in.

Most of the unemployment numbers are seasonally adjusted, and I guess that means they are somehow smoothing the glut of unemployed graduates each may/june so the number doesn't spike, but I don't know the details.