News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

November Jobs Report

Started by jimmy olsen, December 02, 2011, 10:56:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fhdz

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on December 02, 2011, 06:29:04 PM
Apparently, 315k people dropped out of the workforce last month. Makes more sense now.

:yes:
and the horse you rode in on

fhdz

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 02, 2011, 03:54:07 PM
Quote from: MadImmortalMan on December 02, 2011, 03:43:38 PM
I don't believe the figures.

:rolleyes:

Short sellers.  You guys are like a cult.

Optimism's all well and good, but it pays to make sure all the math lines up.
and the horse you rode in on

jimmy olsen

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on December 02, 2011, 04:11:36 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on December 02, 2011, 03:58:33 PM
It's not like the numbers are great or anything, 430,000 net jobs in three months is nothing to crow about.

A .4% reduction in the jobless rate in one month is actually pretty good. Am I misreading it?

A 430k increase in jobs in three months would not be that big of an impact, would it? How big is the workforce--150 billion maybe. Point four percent of that is 600k people. In a month. Complete guesses of course.
A bunch of people gave up, so they're not counted.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

CountDeMoney

It's not like the numbers are great or anything, 430,000 net jobs in three months is nothing to crow about.

A .4% reduction in the jobless rate in one month is actually pretty good.

Not when you'll see a .4% increase in the jobless rate in February.

Scipio

What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

alfred russel

Quote from: jimmy olsen on December 02, 2011, 06:44:17 PM

A .4% reduction in the jobless rate in one month is actually pretty good. Am I misreading it?

A 430k increase in jobs in three months would not be that big of an impact, would it? How big is the workforce--150 billion maybe. Point four percent of that is 600k people. In a month. Complete guesses of course.
A bunch of people gave up, so they're not counted.

There is statistical error in each of the measures, which means the changes between months or a discrepancy between the payroll and unemployment numbers shouldn't be overanalyzed. Maybe with a more accurate methodology we would have seen the unemployment rate was 8.8% both last month and this month. Who knows.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Neil

It doesn't really matter though, since the jobs being created are minimum-wage service jobs.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Josquius

Apparently, 315k people dropped out of the workforce last month. Makes more sense now.

:pinch:

I hate such playing with the figures.
Apparently Japan does that a lot. Benefits expire after half a year and then you're no longer counted in unemployment statistics.
██████
██████
██████

DGuller

Quote from: Tyr on December 04, 2011, 07:24:25 PM

Apparently Japan does that a lot. Benefits expire after half a year and then you're no longer counted in unemployment statistics.
How is this playing with the figures?  There is a definition to unemployment rate, several in fact.  Those definitions are merely being adhered to. 

Also, regarding benefits, I don't know about Japan, but in US, whether you receive unemployment benefits or not matters not at all whether you're counted as unemployed.  It's one of those myths that just won't die.

Neil

It's treating a devastating loss for America as if it was a victory.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Josquius

Quote from: DGuller on December 04, 2011, 07:34:46 PM
Quote from: Tyr on December 04, 2011, 07:24:25 PM

How is this playing with the figures?  There is a definition to unemployment rate, several in fact.  Those definitions are merely being adhered to. 

Also, regarding benefits, I don't know about Japan, but in US, whether you receive unemployment benefits or not matters not at all whether you're counted as unemployed.  It's one of those myths that just won't die.
Unemployed is unemployed, that people have given up being on the list of folks actively looking for work shouldn't make the unemployment rate drop and make everyone go "hurrah!"
██████
██████
██████

Ideologue

Are new graduates (high school, college, other) counted in the U-3 statistics?
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Tyr on December 04, 2011, 07:48:41 PM
Unemployed is unemployed, that people have given up being on the list of folks actively looking for work shouldn't make the unemployment rate drop and make everyone go "hurrah!"

Then we should include stay at home moms and trustifarians as unemployed.

Neil

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 04, 2011, 07:57:30 PM
Quote from: Tyr on December 04, 2011, 07:48:41 PM
Then we should include stay at home moms and trustifarians as unemployed.
Probably not.