And we're back!

Main Menu

Re-writing copyright laws.

Started by Razgovory, December 01, 2011, 08:21:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on December 02, 2011, 04:50:41 PM
Quote from: garbon on December 02, 2011, 04:44:13 PM
So why should a person who makes something "real" (like an invention vs. song) - have less rights to control what they've made?

Because something real is too valuable to have its use limited to its inventor for too long a time.  A song is useless thus society doesn't suffer as much in the trade off.

So we should let someone have life rights (or even just rather long rights) to a song because a song isn't really important to us? Why shouldn't we look at benefits? What is the benefit to society of letting a song holder have such long lasting rights?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Quote from: Slargos on December 02, 2011, 05:21:19 PM
How would society suffer from that?

Ok here is how it worked in that exact scenario: the Wrights invented the thing and then spent the next decade or so taking all American companies who wanted to build and develop airplanes to court.  It set the US air industry back years and the Europeans took over the lead.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Ideologue

Quote from: Slargos on December 02, 2011, 05:10:35 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on December 02, 2011, 05:06:44 PM
So why should a person who makes something "real" (like an invention vs. song) - have less rights to control what they've made?

Because something real is too valuable to have its use limited to its inventor for too long a time.  A song is useless thus society doesn't suffer as much in the trade off.
Who can say which is more "valuable"?

Well that's at least easy to answer: The market.

That's actually what I meant.  As opposed to a prefabricated assumption that the design of a machine/formula for a drug/etc. is more importnat than a piece of art, which the market often does not bear out.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

Quote from: Valmy on December 02, 2011, 05:26:34 PM
Quote from: Slargos on December 02, 2011, 05:21:19 PM
How would society suffer from that?

Ok here is how it worked in that exact scenario: the Wrights invented the thing and then spent the next decade or so taking all American companies who wanted to build and develop airplanes to court.  It set the US air industry back years and the Europeans took over the lead.

Yet we built the B-29.  We were once a great country.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Valmy

Quote from: Ideologue on December 02, 2011, 05:27:39 PM

Yes...well after the Wright's patent had expired.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Ideologue

Quote from: Valmy on December 02, 2011, 05:30:18 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on December 02, 2011, 05:27:39 PM

Yes...well after the Wright's patent had expired.

I'm just indulging in my personal idiom, Val.  Don't read too much into it.
Kinemalogue

dps

Quote from: viper37 on December 02, 2011, 04:30:09 PM
Copyright on art: life of the author, period. 

That would work for a novel or the like, but what about a film?  Who would own the copyright?   The screenwriter(s)?  What shows up on screen sometimes has little resemblence to what was in the script.  The director?  Usually has as much or more impact on what we actually see in the theater than the screenwriter, but maybe not if he doesn't get to do the final edit.  The lead actor/actress?  Why should they hold the copyright--often they're just hired guns, essentially.

Just go back to the original limit and leave it at that.

Martinus

Quote from: Grey Fox on December 02, 2011, 01:06:41 PM
No transfer of IPs.

That's retarded. Just shows you never were anywhere close to practising law if you do not realize the multitude of problems that would create.

The Brain

Many many inventions are a lot less valuable than many songs/books/movies.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Martinus

I also think a lot of problems the USians (and other countries with their IP model) have with copyright is not as much about duration but that fair use is very restrictively defined. It would be much better if you extended the right to quotation, incorporation, derivative and non-commercial use instead of simply shortening the periods.

Martinus

Quote from: The Brain on December 03, 2011, 04:52:57 AM

Many many inventions are a lot less valuable than many songs/books/movies.

This is why I like Languish less and less. It's pretty obvious what Valmy meant but people just prefer to score points by deliberately misinterpreting him.

Martinus

It's obvious that art can make money, thus it is "valuable". And it gives people sophisticated experiences thus it is not worthless.

But from the point of the public interest, it isn't really a big deal if we never saw Titanic (even if it is one of the top grossing films in history).

It is however a big deal if we did not have pencilin or were not able to utilize fast air transport (or would have to pay hefty royalties to do so).

This is what Valmy meant and it should be clear to anyone with two braincells. It pisses me off that so many people choose to play the role of an obtuse idiot instead.

The Brain

Quote from: Martinus on December 03, 2011, 05:02:31 AM
It's obvious that art can make money, thus it is "valuable". And it gives people sophisticated experiences thus it is not worthless.

But from the point of the public interest, it isn't really a big deal if we never saw Titanic (even if it is one of the top grossing films in history).

It is however a big deal if we did not have pencilin or were not able to utilize fast air transport (or would have to pay hefty royalties to do so).

This is what Valmy meant and it should be clear to anyone with two braincells. It pisses me off that so many people choose to play the role of an obtuse idiot instead.

Have you actually looked at many patents? Hint: it's NOT a parade of penicillins and heavier-than-air flying.

Martinus

I know but there are also shitty books and movies so it's you not me who are comparing apples and oranges. Take the world's greatest works of art and world's greatest inventions. We would be much poorer without the former, but we would be likely dead without the latter.

The Brain

Do you want patents to last longer than they do?