News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Re-writing copyright laws.

Started by Razgovory, December 01, 2011, 08:21:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

In the Piracy thread, there was some discussion that copyright laws are not fair.  I agree with this, while not an excuse for piracy, I think that really should be overhauled.  For instance, I don't think reducing the time of copyright to only twenty or thirty years most intellectual property is unfair.  I'm not really well versed on this (though some members of this board are I believe), what do the rest of you think?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ideologue

What do I think would be fair?

Ten years window of copyright on works, but with much longer exclusionary ownership of properties.  E.g.: MST3K would be in the public domain, but Jim Mallon's company would still own the rights to use Crow and Tom Servo and such for several more decades; Adventure Comics #247 would be in the public domain, but DC Entertainment would still own the Legion of Super-Heroes; and so on.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

OttoVonBismarck

I think life of the author is "okay", but I wouldn't mind if it was 40 years or so from date of first publication.

I think death of author + 70 years is retarded, I see no real reason that benefits any part of society aside from major media corporations.

garbon

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on December 01, 2011, 11:27:08 PM
I think life of the author is "okay", but I wouldn't mind if it was 40 years or so from date of first publication.

I don't think so. Patents don't even get that long so why should copyright?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josquius

I think death of author + 70 years is retarded, I see no real reason that benefits any part of society aside from major media corporations.
hmm...I would add a bit of a plus; the author might have a family reliant on him. +30 or 40 or so? - assumes even if the author has a newborn son he will still be supported well into adulthood. And his wife should be able to see her way through to retirement age.
██████
██████
██████

ulmont

Quote from: garbon on December 01, 2011, 11:35:43 PM

Actually, copyrights occupy an interesting middle ground between patents (which are for a strictly limited time) and trademarks (which last as long as they serve to identify the producer to the public).  I wouldn't mind a perpetual copyright, as long as it was accompanied by an annual, and escalating, tax (to insure that only those copyrights which are still rather valuable are monopolized, and even so, not forever).

The Brain

Quote from: Tyr on December 01, 2011, 11:39:13 PM

hmm...I would add a bit of a plus; the author might have a family reliant on him. +30 or 40 or so? - assumes even if the author has a newborn son he will still be supported well into adulthood. And his wife should be able to see her way through to retirement age.

While the children of inventors can starve to hell. OK.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Razgovory

Quote from: ulmont on December 01, 2011, 11:54:14 PM

Actually, copyrights occupy an interesting middle ground between patents (which are for a strictly limited time) and trademarks (which last as long as they serve to identify the producer to the public).  I wouldn't mind a perpetual copyright, as long as it was accompanied by an annual, and escalating, tax (to insure that only those copyrights which are still rather valuable are monopolized, and even so, not forever).

Interesting idea.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tyr on December 01, 2011, 11:39:13 PMhmm...I would add a bit of a plus; the author might have a family reliant on him. +30 or 40 or so? - assumes even if the author has a newborn son he will still be supported well into adulthood. And his wife should be able to see her way through to retirement age.
From an academic perspective  I do think it can hold back research.

Some estates are extremely protective.  The Joyce estate for example are just about to lose their copyright restrictions - that's why they gave Kate Bush permission to use Ulysses on one of her 2011 albums but not in the 80s.  It'll be interesting to see the effect of that, I've read that it's expected to lead to another bout of Joycemania as we see new interpretations based on Joyce's work.  The Abbey Theatre's already refusing to comment.

I can't wait for the Nabokov estate to lose their copyright as I think they've been similarly quite restrictive :mmm:
Let's bomb Russia!

Warspite

If estates (ie children of talented artists with copywrited work) want seventy years of monopoly, maybe they can pay inheritance tax on the value? After all they would do so on, say, the family home.

But yeah, current terms are far too restrictive and are just rent seeking. I accept the need to ensure a fair reward for an artists creative labour, but I don't think the de facto perpetual monopolies are a fair deal for society.

Among other things I manage an archive of 155 years worth of academic material and we only charge or get restrictive about the last twenty years of papers, even though we could get decent cash for a lot of our older material. But then we are a charity and have some naive beliefs about the public good...
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

Martinus

Apples and oranges, in terms of public interest, "expiration date", and potential monetizing value.

garbon

Quote from: Martinus on December 02, 2011, 07:40:20 AM

Apples and oranges, in terms of public interest, "expiration date", and potential monetizing value.

Oh there's certainly a public interest in having patents expire at much shorter times...but where is the public interest in allow copyrights to last so long? I really doubt that without such a long period of copyright that authors would feel so stifled as to not create works.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Cecil

Bring it back to 28 years. Though I suppose the first change to 42 would be acceptable as well.

Grey Fox

Experiation after 20 years of registering. Extension of what consist fair use.  Much lower royalties. No transfer of IPs.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Barrister

Copyright law is fine.

Change patent law instead.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.